Update on Dunedins Royal Albatross cam

Those who have sailed out of Dunedin may have seen the Albatross colony on the Heads. It has a cam which follows the nesting birds which I have used to get pics of cruise ships that sail by. Last night I had a look and saw the parent pecking at the chick ,then today I read...

http://www.doc.govt.nz/news/media-releases/2018/royal-cam-albatross-dies-in-tough-season-for-colony/

Royal cam albatross dies in tough season for colony

Otago Peninsula’s Royal cam albatross chick died after it was attacked yesterday by a parent bird during a tough breeding season for the colony at Pukekura/Taiaroa Head says DOC.

Its a hard enough life for these magnificent birds at sea . Very sad to see this happening on land.

As an animal lover and a cruiser I especially enjoy your pictures of the ships and the albatross.

Very sad for the mum and chick that she felt that had to resort to this when food was so scarce that she couldn't find enough for her chick and herself.

I hope that conditions improve for them next year.

• 3 weeks later...

I always remember sailing out of Dunedin on the Diamond in 2013.We were fogbound and saw nothing,gutted.2 days later on the way to Tassy,I was having brekky in HC and 2 of them were flying next to the window eyeing up my eggs and bacon,lol.Fantastic sight,they followed the ship most of the day,cheers,Brian.