A quick note on elevator bullies

perditax

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

Life is too short to get upset about an elevator. If they won't let you off, ride past your floor and go back to it. Like the impatient people who cram into the elevator thinking that their life will end if they have to wait another minute, people can stay in the elevator a minute if it is too hard to get out.

Life is too short to get upset about an elevator. If they won't let you off, ride past your floor and go back to it. Like the impatient people who cram into the elevator thinking that their life will end if they have to wait another minute, people can stay in the elevator a minute if it is too hard to get out.

Life is too short to engage in a level of pacifism that allows people to trap me in small rooms against my will.

Your mileage, obviously, may vary.

That may be the most ridiculous post I have ever read on here. Be polite and get the hell out of the way.

We were on the Epic a few weeks ago. Similar sutiation, we got on at deck 15, elevator stopped a few decks down and several couples got on and one of the ladies already appeared to have had a few drinks was trying to make out with her husband and being a bit raunchy talking to the other couples that got on with them. Elevator stopped on our deck and my husband and I asked to pass thru. After no one moved I raised my hand to get the couples attention to move and the inebriated lady high fived me. I promptly stated we needed to get off but no one really moved so we had to push through them. I wasn't really mad but just dumbfounded that they were so unaware of anyone else around them.

I almost always take the stairs... but when I am in the elevator... I prefer to be in control of the open/close button and I announce who needs off, I am holding the door open button lol... I agree, people are rude, it is sad.

Just maybe you need to retaliate by pressing ALL THE BUTTONS so that at some point in time

you will be able to get off the elevator. If the next floor - the elevator bullies can enjoy the rest of the ride.

Or if the elevator has an alarm bell - Oops-a-daisy hit it accidently - I missed my floor !

What is great is on some ships the atrium elevators have a weight limitation - and the elevator is

going nowhere until someone gets off - let me out or you are going nowhere !

Best if you are only going 3 floors or less to use the stairs.

What is really irksome is for those folks using wheelchairs and scooters and REALLY need to use the

elevator to get around on the ship and crowds pushing passed them leaving no room - ta ta you will

have to wait for the next one - no sorry about it ! Where is my tazer fazer device !

I'm all for not being uptight about every little thing, but riding to the wrong floor to placate rude idiots seems a little doormat-like to me, lol. I deal with the NYC subway every day. We just shove past.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss this. If these folks could take a hint they would have corrected their behavior years ago. I have traveled for a living most of my adult life. These idiots are not only on cruise ships but on airplanes, in airports, at hotels, and in restaurants as well. Some of them are, no doubt, reading this forum but they don't recognize their own boorish behavior. I decided years ago not to let their petty selfishness ruin my day. All you can do is let it roll off and make certain that you raise your own children to be better citizens. If you do want to make a statement, print several copies of this forum and hand a copy to the clods as you exit the elevator.

I disagree with the "life is too short to get upset" strategy....I work in mental health and sacrificing your self respect and accepting this behaviour can affect you negatively....bullies rely on those who will accept and stay quiet....it gives them power. Speak up for yourself for no other reason than to sleep well at night knowing you have set boundaries for the way people are expected to treat you.

traveling with someone that has "special needs", the bullies that annoy me are the ones that love to rush in to the elevator first as the doors opening, ignoring people with canes, walkers and other things. even thru were standing next to the elevator that was about to open and were waiting even longer then those people.

I don't know so much that people are intentionally bullies and won't move away from the door for others to get out.

I think in general, the problem is that most people are stupid. They don't have the basic brain power to realize when the elevator stops, someone behind them probably has to get off. They stand there oblivious and irritated because they think someone else is going to try to get on the already crowded elevator.

It's not that people are bullies, it's that people are stupid. I think a good tactic would be.....not just "excuse me" but " excuse me, can I get off here"

The people who will shove their large group into an overcrowded elevator, so that everyone is pressed up against each other, are the same people who will absolutely refuse to step off the elevator at the next floor to let the people in the back get off.

Twice this week on Escape, I've had to shove past someone who refused to let me off an elevator (both times women, for what it's worth). One of them was saying "just get off, just get off", while blocking the doorway. Maybe they think they're smaller than they are? Maybe they think I'm smaller than I am? I have no idea. Both times I've had to physically push past and through them. Frankly, my days of being in a mosh pit are well behind me, but if you're going to block an exit, I'm going to move you.

(Also, it's flu season, and if you think it's a good idea to force people into direct physical contact with an elevator full of strangers, you're a damned moron.)

If you're a person who won't move to let the people in the back of the elevator get off, will you please explain your reasoning so me?

We take the stairs most times even if it’s more than a few floors unless it’s an uncrowded time of day/night. You’re right, some people just won’t move and love to give attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The elevator rule is the person in the back is the one who has to get off on the next deck. It always happens. When I am trying to get off the elevator and people rush in when the door opens, I say to them "Excuse you". It is really amusing to see the reactions. I usually make myself smile at their reactions.

I guess that's the reason I take the stairs whenever possible. No problems getting past others... I move pretty quick.

Sorry you were put in bad situation.

My wife and I always use the stairs on cruises. Best exercise there is especially when there is so much food available. :)

It's almost as bad as the people that are so lazy they have to stop the elevator to cram on just to go down or up a single floor. If you"re disabled its understandable. If you're just lazy and out of shape, it's not.

Don't be so quick to judge. To look at me and watch me move around on level ground , you would think I was very physically fit.

However, I have a compromised left knee from an injury over forty years ago and just can't manage one flight of stairs at times.

Don't be so quick to judge. To look at me and watch me move around on level ground, you would think I was very physically fit.

However, I have a compromised left knee from an injury over forty years ago and just can't manage one flight of stairs at times.

Thank you for making an important point... some problems exist without obvious signs to the casual observer!

We have a neighbor who has a "Disabled Veteran" license plate. To see him, one would not guess the extent of his injuries (disabilities). Yet he does have a lengthy number of issues. Frankly, we see him "soldiering-on" on a regular basis, despite his dozens of surgeries!!! BUT, he has actually had people yell at him (cursing) in parking lots because he "isn't allowed to park in Handicap Parking!" And, they continued to argue when he pointed-out his DAV plates.

I use this particular "lesson" to educate all of us. Some folks are just "special" and others might have genuine NEEDS!

... (sigh) Still, it would be nice if everyone getting on/off elevators were more "socially aware" each and every time they use ANY public conveyance!!!