SEL DE MER Pop-Up or Dinner in Bermuda?

Epicureangirl

I have not had a chance to try Sel De Mer, which is offered (as a pop-up) on a night that we are in port in Bermuda.

What would you do, try Sel De Mer at $49 per person, or put that towards a dinner at a restaurant in Bermuda?

My mum wouldn't care about fine-dining, so I'm really thinking of what would make a better trip memory for us. Is Rudi's really a highlight of your cruise, or should I find something in Bermuda?

I am already planning on a Canaletto & PG night for the 3 of us, so we will be changing it up from the MDR some nights.

If you have a recommendation in Bermuda, please feel free to mention that too. I am currently underwhelmed at the restaurant reviews, and would probably end up at a casual place for a fish sandwich and a dark 'n' stormy. :tropical-drink:

Just my opinion...If you’ve been to the regular SDM on Koningsdam, you may find the pop-up a little disappointing as not all of the menu items are offered. We’ve been to both. While the pop-up was good enough, it is still just another redo in the PG.

If you’re going to cruise HAL again, you’ll likely have another chance to do SDM again. If this is your only time to Bermuda, I’d eat in Bermuda.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where do you find where SDM is offered for a particular cruise?

TIA!

Just log in on the HAL site for your reservation, click purchase (you don't have to) _ and the specialty dining. You'll see Sel de Mer if it is offered and not too early and the nights it is offered for your cruise.

Same method as the PG or Cannaletto.

I have not had a chance to try Sel De Mer, which is offered (as a pop-up) on a night that we are in port in Bermuda.

What would you do, try Sel De Mer at $49 per person, or put that towards a dinner at a restaurant in Bermuda?

My mum wouldn't care about fine-dining, so I'm really thinking of what would make a better trip memory for us. Is Rudi's really a highlight of your cruise, or should I find something in Bermuda?

I am already planning on a Canaletto & PG night for the 3 of us, so we will be changing it up from the MDR some nights.

If you have a recommendation in Bermuda, please feel free to mention that too. I am currently underwhelmed at the restaurant reviews, and would probably end up at a casual place for a fish sandwich and a dark 'n' stormy. :tropical-drink:

Bermuda's food is not exactly the most exciting when compared to many ports, but if you are happy with a fish sandwich and dark n' stormy, that fills the bill.

You can always hit the Lido later if you are a tad hungry or do the MDR of course, but I would be tempted to try Sel de Mer - heck I am trying it on my upcoming cruise.

I know some reviews are mixed and not sure how good it is on your ship, but I sure hope it is good on mine. ;)

Whatever you choose - have fun and enjoy :)

Try lunch in Bermuda. We have had Wahoo (locally caught) at a second floor restaurant right near the ship and at the Wahoo restaurant in St. George. On board after an island stop we had Corvina caught that day and served at Sel de Mer, In Azores they bought a whole fresh caught tuna and BBQ it poolside. I guess it depends on if you want to spend extra at Sel.

I had read about Tom Moore’s tavern, and if I was traveling with my husband I would definitely make the trip. Such a pretty place and the food looks beautiful. I’m afraid my mum and daughter wouldn’t really appreciate the fine dining enough for me to take them. I am footing the bill as it were, and I’m guessing a 3 course meal will far exceed the $49 pp. I will take another look at their menu though. Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Just my opinion...If you’ve been to the regular SDM on Koningsdam, you may find the pop-up a little disappointing as not all of the menu items are offered. We’ve been to both. While the pop-up was good enough, it is still just another redo in the PG.

If you’re going to cruise HAL again, you’ll likely have another chance to do SDM again. If this is your only time to Bermuda, I’d eat in Bermuda.

I should mention, we are 3 nights in Bermuda, so I could do both. I just see my food budget for 3 getting fairly high. If it was up to my mum, we’d only eat on the ship in the MDR — but I’m the one who likes PG and that sort of thing. I haven’t tried the SDM anywhere so maybe I just need to try it and see. The mixed reviews have had me concerned, but if something isn’t good at least I know they will make it right by getting me something else.

If you had only one night in Bermuda I would say "make a moment, make a memory" and eat on shore that night. Since you have two other nights to do that, what's to lose by doing the Sel de Mer? Except money, of course ;)

We often make our choices based on "when will we be able to do this again?" You have two chances to make dinner-on-shore memories on this cruise, and only one to do the Sel de Mer. So .... do both imho

We went to Sel de Mer 4 times on on the Koningsdam, and enjoyed most of it... that said, if you do opt to go, check that what you order is fresh, not frozen or vacuum-packed. (Mussels were tough and grainy, a lot didn't open! - when I brought this to their attention, I was told they were vacuum-packed.) And that the fish actually is what you order! Has anyone posted the menu of the pop-up? I'd love to see it.

We're planning on going to the first pop-up on our next cruise. If it's good, we'll try for the second one.

Does Tom Moore's in Bermuda do lunch as well?

Edited to say - please disregard my question; I just checked and it looks like there is no lunch served at Tom Moore's Tavern.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but if you are going after May 19th, I'll be trying Sel de Mer on the P'dam and will be doing a live thread. It's the pop up menu. I was toying with the booking the first one too. ;). But since we have on one on the 2nd segment. ;)

In any case, I will report. I am a bit of a foody and a decent cook but food, of course, is always subjective.

We went to Sel de Mer 4 times on on the Koningsdam, and enjoyed most of it... that said, if you do opt to go, check that what you order is fresh, not frozen or vacuum-packed. (Mussels were tough and grainy, a lot didn't open! - when I brought this to their attention, I was told they were vacuum-packed.) And that the fish actually is what you order! Has anyone posted the menu of the pop-up? I'd love to see it.

We're planning on going to the first pop-up on our next cruise. If it's good, we'll try for the second one.

Edited to say - please disregard my question; I just checked and it looks like there is no lunch served at Tom Moore's Tavern.

I looked too ;). Great minds think alike I guess. Trying to remember the spot we found last time by accident. Nothing but locals and the food was wonderful and the people very friendly.

I leave on the 19th... pop up is scheduled for the Wednesday if I recall. I’m curious if these are selling out in advance of the cruise, or if waiting until onboard is a safe bet? There’s no great way to know of course.

I think you would be ok to wait until you are on board especially if the ship is sitting in Bermuda for 3 days. If you have your heart set on it then you might want to book ahead. I didn't enjoy the sel de mer on the koningsdam, but I thought the pop up was excellent.

Like I said, we LOVED SDM on Koningsdam but the pop-up just wasn’t the same experience for us. IMG_0480.thumb.jpg.4fe77a084a4397f184f7df7ab5dc5f43.jpg

We were “treated” to our first dinner in SDM as a gift for a bad dining experience on a prior night. This is one of the things that we had and enjoyed the most...and it was not offered in the pop-up.

I do, however, know that this is offered in the pop-up as well, but I don’t know if they will let you switch out things that you don’t like for extra if those others that you do like. IMG_0517.thumb.jpg.9842a052b2f5d80ff13a41c791646b27.jpg

Is the second photo of Fruits de Mer? It looks to be a surcharge of $25 and is meant for two. I wonder if you must give up two appetizers as well? Looks beautiful.

It is. We did not have it at the pop-up, so not sure how that works.

Is the second photo of Fruits de Mer? It looks to be a surcharge of $25 and is meant for two. I wonder if you must give up two appetizers as well? Looks beautiful.

Beautiful, substantial and very fresh and tasty. AND you can order appetizers in addition.

We ate at Sel De Mer on February 8 and 15 on the Noordam; the menu is classic French and well beyond the standard Pinnacle menu which is excellent at lunch with fabulous bouillabaisse but repetitive and limited at dinner IMO.

Here’s what we enjoyed at Sel besides Fruits De Mer:

Torchon of Foie Gras: very nice;

Fresh fish of the day; simple but very good;

The sweetest Lobster (tails) with brown butter sauce; just awesome.

Truffled Mashed potatoes side;

A classic soufflé for desert.

If you enjoy classic French cooking you will enjoy Sel very much. We enjoyed it more than our meals at the specialty restaurants on the Riviera, and they are quite good.

Cellar Masters dinner was also very well done and worthwhile.

Also keep in mind that you may be able to arrange a special meal in honor of your anniversary through your Maitre D in the MDR; we received both Indian and Indonesian dinners that way.

We were very pleasantly surprised at the efforts and some of the results in the MDR including Tuna and Veal Loin entrees.

Enjoy your cruise.

It is. We did not have it at the pop-up, so not sure how that works.

Actually Fruits De Mer at Sel is not served in an iron skillet and consists only of fresh shrimp, crab, oysters, and other fresh sea food piled high, so unless I’m missing one of your pictures I don’t see it.

Actually Fruits De Mer at Sel is not served in an iron skillet and consists only of fresh shrimp, crab, oysters, and other fresh sea food piled high, so unless I’m missing one of your pictures I don’t see it.

That photo is Fruits De Mer that we were served on Koningsdam last year.