Crown Princess Formal Nights

The Wood Duck

Could anyone be so kind as to the expected/actual dress code on formal night. Our cruise is out of Rome for 21 days. We are traveling from Toronto nada and want to limit any unnecessary baggage if possible. Do not want to be the only business casual guy on formal nights either.

Edited by The Wood Duck

Could anyone be so kind as to the expected/actual dress code on formal night. Our cruise is out of Rome for 21 days. We are traveling from Toronto nada and want to limit any unnecessary baggage if possible. Do not want to be the only business casual guy on formal nights either.

You won't be the "only" one...believe me.;)

The minimum for men is a dress shirt and pants like dockers. Coats, suits and ties are not required. Several of us have gone to wearing short sleeved guayabera shirts which are very comfortable and easy to pack.

So even for MDR on formal night shirt and trousers will be admitted? (no suit or jacket required)

You dress as you please.

While most guys will have a suit jacket they don't realize that it's no longer mandatory. They'll always be a dozen or more guys dressed for comfort that leave the jacket home & still get to enjoy all the DR food. ;)

Yahoo!!! I thought Princess was still one of the holdouts for formal nights. This news has definitely made my day!!

Yahoo!!! I thought Princess was still one of the holdouts for formal nights. This news has definitely made my day!!

OK, now I'm a little confused. My DW got on the Princess website just to double check and it still says men need to wear a coat and tie on formal nights. Has Princess just not updated their website or are there just some folks, both men and women, that have simply decided to wear smart casual outfits on formal nights? Here is what she found:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Look under the "Clothing Recommendations" section.

We very much would like to just wear smart casual outfits when dining in the evening, formal or not, but we also want to follow the rules.

OK, now I'm a little confused. My DW got on the Princess website just to double check and it still says men need to wear a coat and tie on formal nights. Has Princess just not updated their website or are there just some folks, both men and women, that have simply decided to wear smart casual outfits on formal nights? Here is what she found:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Look under the "Clothing Recommendations" section.

We very much would like to just wear smart casual outfits when dining in the evening, formal or not, but we also want to follow the rules.

They also post that the bare minimum on formal nights for the guys on a is a dress shirt with dress pants & shoes. This has been acceptable for many year on Princess.

never had a problem wearing my echo sandals in the mdr - even on 'formal' night...:evilsmile:
And I bet you look sharp in them too! I just called Princess and the nice lady on the phone said exactly what was listed on their web page:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women
  • Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I did mention some of you kind folks were saying the opposite and she mentioned it pretty much comes down to how strict the maître d wants to enforce the rule. So I guess we're getting dressed up on our cruise as we're on vacation and really don't need the stress. Who knows maybe they'll formally change their formal dress code by the summer of 2019. One can hope anyway.

But with regards to what type of shoes to wear, I don't see that mentioned so I guess echo sandals and my boat shoes are good to go!

So even for MDR on formal night shirt and trousers will be admitted? (no suit or jacket required)

Yes even on formal night. Princess does not enforce their recommendations requiring coat/suit and tie. For shoes I always wear my athletic shoes mostly these days for foot problems. One thing I have noticed is that those who still wear a suit often do not wear a tie and have an open shirt collar.

And I bet you look sharp in them too! I just called Princess and the nice lady on the phone said exactly what was listed on their web page:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

•  
  • Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

• Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

I did mention some of you kind folks were saying the opposite and she mentioned it pretty much comes down to how strict the maître d wants to enforce the rule. So I guess we're getting dressed up on our cruise as we're on vacation and really don't need the stress. Who knows maybe they'll formally change their formal dress code by the summer of 2019. One can hope anyway.

But with regards to what type of shoes to wear, I don't see that mentioned so I guess echo sandals and my boat shoes are good to go!

Was on the royal last month and there were men in polo shirts on formal night. I had a long sleeve shirt and bow tie and almost felt overdressed compared to some people. From my experiences also, even formal night isn’t so formal anymore.

Sent from my iPhone X using Forums

It truly is up to who ever is at the door of the MDR. Because so many these days are not dressing formal, they are don't have the stomach for constant disagreements.

For a long time I wore a nice pair of sandals all nights including formal nights without any problems. I have a pair of dress shoes that have not been worn in decades. Lately however I have had to switch to athletic shoes due to foot problems and of course age.

Was on the royal last month and there were men in polo shirts on formal night. I had a long sleeve shirt and bow tie and almost felt overdressed compared to some people. From my experiences also, even formal night isn’t so formal anymore.

If that's the case when we cruise in 2019, my coat and tie will stay in the closet. But, our summer 2019 cruise is pretty far off, so maybe this will all be a mute point by then. Hope so anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to vary from cruise to cruise. Recently on our first trip it appeared more casual & on the very next one, more formal. Although on either a casual appearance was acceptable without question.....as it should be.

People who which to dress should be accommodated just as those that want to relax & dress down on a vacation.

I think it depends on the cruise. Last year our med cruise from Southampton on the Crown made it easy as no airport to contend with. When formal night came round couldn't move for tux in the MDR my 2 teenage boys who are so used to jeans couldn't wait to dress up.

However our next cruise is out of Corfu so have to pack savvy.

On past cruises we have gone full formal, tux included. The baggage restrictions now make that option more pricey. In past we always took 2 large bags plus carry on. clear.png?emoji-frown-1741

Hi, new to Princess. Sailing next February. The baggage restrictions you mention, are they for the cruise, or the airlines? We are driving and I thought that there were no cruise luggage restrictions. I'm not planning on going crazy, but it is a 2 week cruise....

Hi, new to Princess. Sailing next February. The baggage restrictions you mention, are they for the cruise, or the airlines? We are driving and I thought that there were no cruise luggage restrictions. I'm not planning on going crazy, but it is a 2 week cruise....

The restrictions referred to air travel.