Couple of questions: Rotterdam 21-day out of Tampa

Silverback969

We're departing Tampa March 3 for a B-t-B 7-day/14-day, and we have a couple of questions: First, does anyone know how many gala nights we'll have on each segment? It's not a real big thing for me: I just toss in another bow-tie/cummerbund combo, and I'm good to go. Sweet Cheeks, on the other hand would pack an additional outfit. FWIW, we're booked into a lanai--a first for us (and, depending, could also very well be a first-and-only). It's an interesting concept, has the potential for being very pleasant, or not very pleasant at all.

Second question: I've read some of the recent Cruise Critic reviews, most of them VERY critical of Rotterdam's condition coming out of dry dock. Have the problems that were reported been resolved? Toilets not flushing, leaking pipes, availability (or not) of hot water in cabins, were high on the hit list, along with just an absolute cascade of other things.

Also, I understand there are a couple of USB ports for charging personal electronics. What about availability of 110/120 volt outlets?

Have TVs been updated with in-room with full-digital programming?

Any recent intel will be appreciated.

I’m on the Rotterdam right now finishing up a 21 day cruise. Our cabin has been without issues and the rest of the ship looks great. Food has been good. We’re not thrilled with the entertainment but that’s a very personal thing. Hubby has been loving trivia. I miss B.B. King. Enjoy your lanai room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There will be three formal nights on your 14 night segment. I am on that sailing and the information was included in our cruise documents from HAL. It is probably in yours.

The Rotterdam is a great ship and we like the laid back entertainment.

You mean you should read the documents????:evilsmile:

Second question: I've read some of the recent Cruise Critic reviews, most of them VERY critical of Rotterdam's condition coming out of dry dock. Have the problems that were reported been resolved? Toilets not flushing, leaking pipes, availability (or not) of hot water in cabins, were high on the hit list, along with just an absolute cascade of other things.

Also, I understand there are a couple of USB ports for charging personal electronics. What about availability of 110/120 volt outlets?

Have TVs been updated with in-room with full-digital programming?

Any recent intel will be appreciated.

We were on the Rotterdam last month. We did not have any major issues with the ship’s condition, but did have a couple of minor things. Our room temperature seemed change from too hot to to cold without touching the thermostat. We had very low water pressure one day. The public rooms were too warm for us.

We had an OV room and there were 2 USB ports and one electrical outlet in the room at the desk and one electrical outlet in the bathroom. We brought a power strip and were fine for outlets.

The TV in our room was an older flat screen, but had no On-Demand that I am aware of. The limited number of stations was the least I have seen on a cruise in the last 15 years. The suites may have more updated options.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For any who may not have experienced the in-room digital TV, I was very impressed (you can take that with a grain of salt, because after more than a year after buying, I still fumble with my smart phone for such complex things as sending selfies, and doing internet searches). If you were so inclined, you could check your on-board balance at any time; order room service; video on demand; today's events; and lots more that I don't remember). The trade-off for this was NO DVD lending library. To me, that was pretty much a no-brainer: in all our "days at sea"--and we're 4-star mariners--we've never used the DVD library, preferring instead to watch the waves go by, or watch the sun set. Or watching cargo loading/unloading.

I appreciate your timely (and on-target) responses. I'll let you know how I find Rotterdam (I suspect it'll be in the vicinity of the pier). ;p

For any who may not have experienced the in-room digital TV, I was very impressed The trade-off for this was NO DVD lending library.

We were on a cruise on the Zuiderdam last month. The new digital TV was in our cabin. Instead of the DVD library, there were a large number of movies on demand (free).

There will be three formal nights on your 14 night segment. I am on that sailing and the information was included in our cruise documents from HAL. It is probably in yours.

The Rotterdam is a great ship and we like the laid back entertainment.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

My wife and I have sailed HAL for, I dunno, 20 years, or so. I actually *DID READ* "Know Before You Go", and I found references to gala nights, but nothing specific for this cruise. And, just for giggles and grins, I read through our cruise documents again, and even brought them up, again, on the Holland America website. Still no joy. I concede I may have overlooked something--stranger things have been known to happen--so I appreciate your providing the information.

Happy sailings. :)(y)

We were on a cruise on the Zuiderdam last month. The new digital TV was in our cabin. Instead of the DVD library, there were a large number of movies on demand (free).

We experienced the digital system on the Zuiderdam, also. I'm not sure why, but they were having some really strange movies in the ship's theater, so we found something to watch on the digital system in our room. We missed the popcorn :D but the quality of the other movie-goers more than made up for that.

My wife and I have sailed HAL for, I dunno, 20 years, or so. I actually *DID READ* "Know Before You Go", and I found references to gala nights, but nothing specific for this cruise. And, just for giggles and grins, I read through our cruise documents again, and even brought them up, again, on the Holland America website. Still no joy. I concede I may have overlooked something--stranger things have been known to happen--so I appreciate your providing the information.

Happy sailings. :)(y)

The number of Gala Nights is on your boarding pass, bottom left corner.

We were on the first 14 days of the same cruise as Adoptionmsw. I agree the Rotterdam is in good shape, with no signs of the problems reported out of dry dock. I submitted a more detailed review of both the ship and the cruise, but it has not been posted yet.