Midday flight from JFK - will we make it from Cape Liberty?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why would you say No ?

You walk off the ship with your luggauge.......so you are off by 7:30am.............cab ride on a Saturday at 7:45am.....with no work traffic would get you to the airport by 9am easy..........International flight, so you still would have 3 hours to check in, so see no reason why the OP could not make a12 noon or later flight. Just checked right now on google maps Cape Liberty to JFK, at the current time on a work day at 8:15am it's a 36 mile ride , 45 minutes.

Jimbo

I believe most flights to Europe that depart from JFK do so in the evening.

Here is a 12 noon flight.

Sat, Sep 1

• FromJohn F. Kennedy Intl. (JFK)
  • ToGatwick (LGW)

Best ValueBest Value flight

DI_sq.svgNorwegian Air UK

12:00pmJFK

to

11:59pmLGW

6h 59m, Nonstop

Why would you say No ?

You walk off the ship with your luggauge.......so you are off by 7:30am.............cab ride on a Saturday at 7:45am.....with no work traffic would get you to the airport by 9am easy..........International flight, so you still would have 3 hours to check in, so see no reason why the OP could not make a12 noon or later flight. Just checked right now on google maps Cape Liberty to JFK, at the current time on a work day at 8:15am it's a 36 mile ride , 45 minutes.

Jimbo

Lots of "ifs" there. And it's Labor Day weekend.

Not enough for me, I would book a 12 noon flight............if you go looking for ifs and buts you can find them, .....Heck the ship can break down and not be able to move and come back 2 days late....Life is to short to worry about EVERYTHING.

You would leave Cape Liberty and take the Belt Parkway to JFK...........this keeps you away from the Holland Tunnel and Manhattan and Brooklyn,

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ/J.F.K.+International+Airport+(JFK),+New+York,+NY/@40.6911069,-74.0525673,11.63z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25036a072a74d:0xf88fd20c29c0071f!2m2!1d-74.0725745!2d40.6648735!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c26650d5404947:0xec4fb213489f11f0!2m2!1d-73.7781391!2d40.6413111!3e0

Jimbo

Edited by Jimbo

Perhaps if you have a booked car. This is our only experience, but we were annoyed by the poor service for cabs getting off anthem in Port Liberty. You have to walk over to the cab rank and they were directing people wanting cabs away from the individual cabs to group vans and making people wait in the hot sun in lines until they had a full van. We did see one group ignoring the directions who managed to get a cab but the individual cabs were obviously not a priority for the dispatchers. This was in stark contrast to our arrival at Port Liberty where the cab driver was excellent. It felt like a scam to us (and it cost the same for two of us going in a van with lots of others after waiting until the van was full as it did for us to arrive in a dedicated cab). There is also an issue with cabs crossing the boundary from New Jersey to NYC and vice versa - someone with more experience might have some advice.

Not enough for me, I would book a 12 noon flight............if you go looking for ifs and buts you can find them, .....Heck the ship can break down and not be able to move and come back 2 days late....Life is to short to worry about EVERYTHING.

Jimbo

Labor Day Weekend is the last chance for a long summer weekend (or that last weeklong trip) before school is back in full swing in the NYC Metro Area. If history is any indicator, airports will be very busy and traffic bottlenecks will be unpredictable.

OP should spend a few days in the City.

That is the exact flight! Norwegian have a great reputation and would save us hanging around until late evening with our bags...

I know it would be tight, but we would certainly pre book a transfer, thanks for route suggestion too. We are just adding it all up, .... thanks for advice.

Labor Day Weekend is the last chance for a long summer weekend (or that last weeklong trip) before school is back in full swing in the NYC Metro Area. If history is any indicator, airports will be very busy and traffic bottlenecks will be unpredictable.

OP should spend a few days in the City.

We are doing this pre cruise, we have to back in UK so unfortunately cannot stay at the end.

I will rethink this in view of labour day perhaps..Thanks all!

That is the exact flight! Norwegian have a great reputation and would save us hanging around until late evening with our bags...

I know it would be tight, but we would certainly pre book a transfer, thanks for route suggestion too. We are just adding it all up, .... thanks for advice.

When and if you line up transportation......let them know you want to go the fastest way..........and then have them tell you what way they would be. Let them know you have a flight to catch and don't want the scenic route(s).......you want to get there as fast as possible.

Hopefully they will suggest the way I said, if they don't look for another provider for the transportation.

Jimbo:)

When and if you line up transportation......let them know you want to go the fastest way..........and then have them tell you what way they would be. Let them know you have a flight to catch and don't want the scenic route(s).......you want to get there as fast as possible.

Hopefully they will suggest the way I said, if they don't look for another provider for the transportation.

Jimbo:)

Unless they moved it, the Belt Parkway traverses the entire southern edge of Brooklyn and is a major artery for Beach access on LABOR DAY WEEKEND.

Unless they moved it, the Belt Parkway traverses the entire southern edge of Brooklyn and is a major artery for Beach access on LABOR DAY WEEKEND.

How many going to the beach at 7:45am ? only 17 miles of the drive is on that southern edge.

Edited by Jimbo

I've done my fair share of JFK pickups using this same route and I think you will be okay, barring major accidents which is the real risk. Traffic through Staten Island moves much faster than it used to due to road and toll plaza improvements. The Belt Parkway tends to move at good speed even at high volume, thus the risk for accidents. Just be assertive about getting off the ship and into your ride ASAP.

Thanks all, any suggestions of companies that offer reliable transfer services? We are going to need a few for this trip, JFK to Manhatten, Manhatten to Port, Port to JFK....

Dial7 is often mentioned.

How many going to the beach at 7:45am ? only 17 miles of the drive is on that southern edge.

If you want to get a "prime" beach spot on a summer holiday weekend anywhere on the left or right coastal metro areas of the US, you'd surely be on the road by then.

And, as aforementioned, JFK et al. will be a zoo that weekend.

Thanks all, any suggestions of companies that offer reliable transfer services? We are going to need a few for this trip, JFK to Manhatten, Manhatten to Port, Port to JFK....

Don't overcomplicate the issue. There are plenty of services that offer direct transfers to JFK from Port Elizabeth without all that intermediate stopping. Check out Carmel Car Service, I've used them in the past and been happy with both the price and service(https://www(dot)carmellimo(dot)com).

Which means less traffic than usual - any traffic will traffic heading to the Jersey shore or past JFK on the Belt Pkwy with people headed to the beaches. Driving across the Verrazano should be a breeze. The big rub is what to do if your ship is late getting back.

If you want to get a "prime" beach spot on a summer holiday weekend anywhere on the left or right coastal metro areas of the US, you'd surely be on the road by then.

And, as aforementioned, JFK et al. will be a zoo that weekend.

JFK will certainly NOT be a zoo on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend. Domestics might be busy on Friday and busier than normal on Monday. Saturday will be pretty slow.