How many got the UBP as a perk?

odessy

It seems like everyone pretty much takes advantage of it, So if I am reading it correctly, there is no incentive for the bartenders because they are already getting tipped before even doing any work. So if 80% of the ship gets the UBP as a free perk, it seems like the service may not be as good. So how many people do take advantage of the perk?

I dont know how to do a poll, But are you taking the UBP as a free perk?

I did take the free perk.

Edited by odessy

We have taken the UBP as the free perk the last two times on the Breakaway. We never had a problem getting a drink at any bar. We cruised over spring break both times and the ship was sold out both times. I really didn't see a problem. We did meet a few people that did not get the drink package on our last cruise. Kind of surprised me due to the huge savings. But I guess if you don't drink alcohol, it is not worth paying the service charge of $100 or so.

Your logic is flawed. Tip or no tip a persons incentive to work is to have a job and make money. Plus you do realize that tipping is mostly just an American thing. The service charge that is assessed at time of booking is just that. Maybe it goes directly to the bartenders, maybe it doesn’t. No one knows. Either way, I have never received anything but exceptional service. A couple bucks extra tip goes a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We typically take the UBP and don't take it as a personal challenge to max it out... Have cruised NCL for many years and have noticed the level of drunk/obnoxious people has increased since this perk became ubiquitous. Bar service is sometimes spotty and very much down to the individual bar staff. Service at Topsiders and the Pit Stop (deck 13 on Jewels) or whatever they call it this week... were lack-lustre during the day but Whiskey bar great in the evening... I couldn't discern a pattern related to UBP last time I sailed.

Exactly; I take this perk every time. I have had some great luck via the get all 4 perks though these last few trips.

By Day 2 of the trip, I usually find a good connection with certain staff and tip on top of the service charge. Tipping goes a LONG way and staff will go way beyond what I expect in terms of great service which is somewhat embarrassing (in a good way) as I tend to be a no-frills type of person.

It seems like everyone pretty much takes advantage of it, So if I am reading it correctly, there is no incentive for the bartenders because they are already getting tipped before even doing any work. So if 80% of the ship gets the UBP as a free perk, it seems like the service may not be as good. So how many people do take advantage of the perk?

I dont know how to do a poll, But are you taking the UBP as a free perk?

I did take the free perk.

85% seems rather high. Speaking for myself, I’m usually the only drinker in my group. It’s very costly to pay the gratuity for myself and traveling partners so I’m better off paying as I go. With all this being said, I most times will leave additional cash for the servers hoping they will benefit from my direct contact. For the one or two club sodas I drink a day, I do get strange responses when they find out I don’t even have a soda package.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My DH and I always take the UBP as we prefer not to have to "think" about what we are drinking or worry about a tab at the end. Although the bars are normally busy, I've never had an excessive wait to get a drink and as I am on vacation, not usually in a rush for anything. I will agree with above posters though, once you find a place you will spend any significant amount of time in bar-wise, a solid tip does go a long ways. On one of our past trips, one particular bartender would see us walk in and have our regular drinks ready for us by the time we made our way to the bar most evenings. We appreciated the great service and tipped accordingly during the week.

Never had a service problem from a bartender. All of the issues I've had, and seen at various bars on board was from other passenger's who seem to think that they are the only one's on board and demand attention the second they walk up to the bar. It just seems that some people have no concept of manner's or patience for that matter.

Exactly; I take this perk every time. I have had some great luck via the get all 4 perks though these last few trips.

By Day 2 of the trip, I usually find a good connection with certain staff and tip on top of the service charge. Tipping goes a LONG way and staff will go way beyond what I expect in terms of great service which is somewhat embarrassing (in a good way) as I tend to be a no-frills type of person.

Well said, I have done the same...

Never had a service problem from a bartender. All of the issues I've had, and seen at various bars on board was from other passenger's who seem to think that they are the only one's on board and demand attention the second they walk up to the bar. It just seems that some people have no concept of manner's or patience for that matter.

I guess those were the big tippers... ;)

Personally I think that the whole tipping thing is out of hand... given most will pay or pre-pay the DSC anyway. I'll tip on top of DSC for 'above and beyond'... Flame away you big tippers! ;p

This was my experience on the Spirit, only once, and never seen it happen on any previous cruise. I had been waiting for the barman to finish serving, as the only person at the bar I had made eye contact with the barman, so he knew I was waiting to be served, as the previous customers were leaving the bar with their drinks a couple immediately took their place, although the rest of the bar was empty, the guy held up his Keycard and immediately ordered himself and his partner a drink, the poor barman looked sheepishly at me, as he didn't really know what to do. I helped him out by giving my order and then saying to the couple that I was there first and had been waiting. I felt like a bit of a moaning old git but I was in the right. The barman served me and then turned to them and served them.

If this had happened in a pub in the UK there would have been an apology, and if not it would probably have got ugly, I'm talking generically here, not about me in particular. In this instance there was no apology, just a stony glance at the barman.

If you are tipping to help you get preferential service with all this "a tip goes a long way" nonsense, then I feel you are just being discourteous to other passengers. This is, of course, just my opinion.

I guess those were the big tippers... ;)

Personally I think that the whole tipping thing is out of hand... given most will pay or pre-pay the DSC anyway. I'll tip on top of DSC for 'above and beyond'... Flame away you big tippers! ;p

No flame but let me give a different take on it. The wife and I might have 30 drinks for the week. If I tip the kind bartenders a buck each time that comes to 30 bucks, an absolutely inconsequential amount for me in the grand scheme of things. These guys and gals are away from their families for months, busting their asses to make sure we have a great time. I am happy to spend 30 bucks to help make it worthwhile to them.