How often do ships miss Coco Cay?

davy jones

I ask the question because it is often mentioned on the NCL board that ships miss the stop at Great Stirrup Cay because of weather, mainly because the wind/choppy seas create a potential safety issue with tendering.

I don't read every thread, but I do not recall ever seeing a post that mentioned missing Coco Cay because of possible tendering problems. The two islands are next to each other, so the sea conditions would be similar.

Our next cruise stops at Coco Cay and I am curious how often this port is missed. Anyone who has missed this stop is welcome to say when it happened, what the weather/sea conditions were at the time and what the ship did as an alternative, (ie sea day or extra Nassau time)

Thanks. That sounds about consistent with NCL.

I think I recall seeing that RCI has plans to upgrade the area and add a dock? Is that true, or is my memory fuzzy. Either way, it won't be ready for our cruise.

Yes, they have been working on the dock at Coco Cay for several months now.

We were on Majesty back in October and we missed Coco Cay which was meant to be the first stop due to bad weather, instead the Captain took us to Nassau where we overnighted and then we did get to Coco Cay on the way back which would have been the sea day, we've been a few times before so was not too put out but I did feel bad for a lot of people who had not been and were looking forward to it, thankfully they did get to see it.

You can't control the weather. Our options are relax on the beach with the ocean, food and drink, or relax on board with a pool, food and drink. Unless you planned on snorkeling or a fancy shore excursion, it doesn't even qualify as a first world problem.

Over the years here, I've read where some people have missed 50% of their stops at Coco Cay. I on the other hand am 5 for 5 at making it. It is amazing how fast conditions can change. Last October we got off the ship in calm conditions, but getting back on the ship was just rough enough to see how it could be a challenge at times and you can see how experienced the crew is at handling it. I'll be glad to see more of the new pier this September.

As an aside, my daughter was snorkling at NCL's island and recording when a couple of manatees swam up next to her.

Its dependent on the weather in the morning and late afternoon, evening. If the winds are too strong and waters choppy the captain wont send the tenders.

The tender boats have to traverse through rocks and shallows near the coast, thats the biggest risk.

I recall that if a strong weather front is forecasted to pass through Florida prior to your day at CocoCay, the chance of missing it increases. Wind speed and conditions for the Caribbean can be checked on the NOAA website as well.

Have been extremely lucky and only missed it once in over 20+ times we visited. One time, however, a surprise storm came up and they closed the island just after lunch.

The new pier is indeed progressing. That will enable a lot more access than having to rely on tendering safety. It also will be then be allowing the big lady ships to come in to port there.

I keep hearing Winter 2018 as the completion. But I don't actually know a single person important enough to be a factor. Bob & John are the two most famous cruising people I know. Well, besides Bella.

That said, I was convinced that Coco Cay didn't actually exist because we missed it so many consecutive times starting with my very first Royal cruise. Finally, we've been several times now! I'd say the 20% miss rate seems reasonable, maybe 30%?? I'm hoping the dock takes that down to <5% in the future. I know there will still be times, but hopefully not nearly as many.

I'm at a 50% rate. Missed it in February of last year, but made it in July. A similar thing can be said about Grand Cayman. I've missed it once or twice as well for the same reason.

My gut tells me that you're more likely to miss it in the winter time, but that's just a gut feeling. Of the times i've missed Grand Cayman and Cococay, its been winter time.

I'm 0/1 in the recent years and have stopped booking Bahamas cruises because of it. I'd rather be guaranteed a stop in Labadee (plus an extra cruise night or 2 can't hurt). We're trying again in September on Mariner when the dock was *supposed* to be done. With my luck it'll be a cruise or 2 after that actually docks for the first time. I guess Royal is going to rope us into another one. ;)

We did not get into Coco Cay on our Anthem Cruise because of weather related issues. Rough weather on entire cruise but were on the Anthem - great ship - lots to do. So we had an extra sea day (weather in Nassau also was not good but we were in port there.) That would have been our first time at Coco Cay. We are going on a (quick) 3 day cruise on the Enchantment in April - Coco Cay and Nassau - hoping the weather will be better. I have B2B for Nassau and Coco Cay on Mariner in August. Maybe the Coco Cay pier will be done by then....

I'm 0/1 in the recent years and have stopped booking Bahamas cruises because of it. I'd rather be guaranteed a stop in Labadee (plus an extra cruise night or 2 can't hurt). We're trying again in September on Mariner when the dock was *supposed* to be done. With my luck it'll be a cruise or 2 after that actually docks for the first time. I guess Royal is going to rope us into another one. ;)

I wish Labadee WAS a guaranteed stop. We found out otherwise in January 2016 when we couldn't stop there because of political unrest. I was totally crushed. :loudcry: I am hoping for better luck this coming October (yn)