Drones

lilm201

has anyone had experience or seen drones on holland before?

going on a cruise in a few months to the caribbean . really want to bring my mavic pro on boared . obviously wouldnt use it on the ship but when i get to the port .

i know carnival lets u bring it on . some other lines take it but give it to you everytime u get to a port . would the mavic even get noticed because how small it is? holland says drones are prohibited on the ships nomatter what

but was thinking what if i was bring it anyways . id assume theyd take it and i wouldnt get it back till after the cruise is over but maybe there the chance i get it at each port

going on a cruise in a few months to the caribbean . really want to bring my mavic pro on boared . obviously wouldnt use it on the ship but when i get to the port .

i know carnival lets u bring it on . some other lines take it but give it to you everytime u get to a port . would the mavic even get noticed because how small it is? holland says drones are prohibited on the ships nomatter what

but was thinking what if i was bring it anyways . id assume theyd take it and i wouldnt get it back till after the cruise is over but maybe there the chance i get it at each port

Leave it at home. Besides being a prohibited item on the cruise ship, you won't be able to fly them around the immediate port area and you would have to check the legality of each port of call to see if you are allowed to possess or use them in country - many will require you to be licensed to possess/ operate a UAV

If you already know that Holland America prohibits these items, why would you be asking this question? No, you cannot bring a drone onboard and yes, it will be confiscated on boarding. I don't know if HAL is obligated to return it to you at disembarkation.

Leave it at home. Besides being a prohibited item on the cruise ship, you won't be able to fly them around the immediate port area and you would have to check the legality of each port of call to see if you are allowed to possess or use them in country - many will require you to be licensed to possess/ operate a UAV

wouldnt be flying around the port area

I’m just saying.

Have you checked to see what the requirements are to be able to possess or operate a UAV in each country? Or the laws of where you can/cannot operate one? That’s provided you can get away with bringing one on board. Again, just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"holland says drones are prohibited on the ships nomatter what"

even if u sneak it on and then use it very possibly illegally in port consider that u could be arrested or taken to police station to pay a fine and miss the ship when it sails...bad idea

It will be perfectly okay for you to bring your drone because You're Special. The rules don't apply to you.

You assumed correctly! The drone will be taken from you on embarkation day and you will be handed a property receipt, stored for you in the security office, and handed back to you inside the terminal building on disembarkation day. There is absolutely zero chance it will be handed back to you "at each port"

Edited by Copper10-8

At the end of our last cruise, we saw 2 drones of different sizes on a table marked "Confiscated Items" as we were preparing to leave the terminal. Leave it at home where it's safe and you can use it after your cruise.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

When I was on the Oosterdam last fall, we were only ship in port at the time and some guy was flying a drone from the pier alongside the ship. This was inside the security area. He was not wearing a ship name tag. I can only assume he was a passenger.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A couple of years ago while docked in San Juan a drone was hovering around the ship and at one point was right in front of the Crows Nest windows! So much for not being able to use in port area.

Last month, while in San Juan, we were shocked to see a drone flying between our ship and another ship in port. However, we quickly saw a group of people who were flying the drone and asked them what was up. They said they were during a safety audit and were clearly operating with official approval. They were accompanied by law enforcement personnel at the time. Perhaps that is what was happening when you saw one.

When I was on the Oosterdam last fall, we were only ship in port at the time and some guy was flying a drone from the pier alongside the ship. This was inside the security area. He was not wearing a ship name tag. I can only assume he was a passenger.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure when you sailed when you saw that drone operator. Oosterdam had a film crew from Carnival corporate on board last Fall while she spent a relatively short time in the Carib. before coming back to San Diego. That particular film crew was shooting a PR video and had permission from Oostie's captain, as well as from shore-side officials, to use a combo drone/camera to shoot some of their scenes

Last month, while in San Juan, we were shocked to see a drone flying between our ship and another ship in port. However, we quickly saw a group of people who were flying the drone and asked them what was up. They said they were during a safety audit and were clearly operating with official approval. They were accompanied by law enforcement personnel at the time. Perhaps that is what was happening when you saw one.

COuld have been, but it was strange how it was peering in the Crows Nest.