Purchasing watches on Princess ships

TwoCruisers

I have read horror stories about Effy jewelry purchased on Princess ships. Now I’m wondering about the quality of watches sold on the ships. Does anyone have experience with purchasing a watch while on a Princess ship? On my upcoming cruise I have a large amount of OBC and I thought that my wife may be interested in getting a new watch.

Exactly! Almost all of the OBC is non-refundable. I also have pre-paid gratuities from the sales promotion. We don’t drink so that won’t deplete the money. After a couple of excursions and a couple of specialty dinners I’ll still have loads of OBC remaining.

So, I still have the question, does anyone have experience purchasing a watch on a Princess ship?

only if you have non-refundable OBC, that you haven't previously used for grats / drinks / excursions / specialty dinners, etc...etc...etc

why do people buy things on a cruise ship otherwise ??

to me better to buy watches and other things from local merchants you have a relationship with

I have not heard good things about Effy. But the cruise line sells other name brand watches. If you have the credit to burn why not a watch. One that comes to mind is Citizen. A very good brand. There are many other name brands on board.

I purchased a Philip Stein watch on Coral Princess. I had been eyeing it for several months and knew what it cost from the manufacturer and other online sources. It was considerably cheaper onboard so I bought it the first evening. And incidentally, I own a ton of EFFY jewelry, most bought in EFFY stores, a few pieces from dept. stores, and a couple of rings purchased last cruise on Carnival. I have never had any problems with anything. First purchase was in Grand Turk in 2010. EM

Exactly! Almost all of the OBC is non-refundable. I also have pre-paid gratuities from the sales promotion. We don’t drink so that won’t deplete the money. After a couple of excursions and a couple of specialty dinners I’ll still have loads of OBC remaining.

So, I still have the question, does anyone have experience purchasing a watch on a Princess ship?

Yes. I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive drive watch on board a Princess ship about three years ago. The price was slightly lower than the same watch from Amazon - I checked Amazon's prices before the cruise. So I saved a few bucks, and saved the state tax I would have had to pay also. The watch has performed as advertised - no issues.

And yes, I had a lot of non-refundable OBC to use up, so it worked out well for me.

I purchased a Philip Stein watch on Coral Princess. I had been eyeing it for several months and knew what it cost from the manufacturer and other online sources. It was considerably cheaper onboard so I bought it the first evening. And incidentally, I own a ton of EFFY jewelry, most bought in EFFY stores, a few pieces from dept. stores, and a couple of rings purchased last cruise on Carnival. I have never had any problems with anything. First purchase was in Grand Turk in 2010. EM

Yes. I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive drive watch on board a Princess ship about three years ago. The price was slightly lower than the same watch from Amazon - I checked Amazon's prices before the cruise. So I saved a few bucks, and saved the state tax I would have had to pay also. The watch has performed as advertised - no issues.

And yes, I had a lot of non-refundable OBC to use up, so it worked out well for me.

Thank you for your input!

I bought the same watch on board....working like a charm.

I have read horror stories about Effy jewelry purchased on Princess ships. Now I’m wondering about the quality of watches sold on the ships. Does anyone have experience with purchasing a watch while on a Princess ship? On my upcoming cruise I have a large amount of OBC and I thought that my wife may be interested in getting a new watch.

Hi Gordon..going to be on the March cruise with you. My husband purchased a watch a few years ago on board the second day...it stopped telling time by day four...it was replaced immediately and we were told to keep the receipt and if any problems after we got home it would be addressed through the mail/email and directly with the company (think it was Citizens). Never had problems again with the watch. Also, if you purchase any of the "gold by the inch" chains..keep the receipt and if the chain looses it "shine", they will replace at next cruise. I also have quite a bit of OBC and plan to by some Christmas gift chains and bracelets. Of course..some gambling too!

I've bought about 4 or 5 Citizen watches on a Princess cruise and the price was always better than in port. Shopping in port is a high pressure situation, something I don't feel on the ship and the service has always been great. I actually won a Citizen watch in a drawing last month on the Crown after purchasing a watch! Go for it.

I own a couple of Invecta Reserve watches that I purchased online through their sales company.

On the Royal last year they were having a sale on Invecta watches and the prices were pretty good. My wife would never wear a watch but I had her look at some and she finally decided she liked one. I purchased it at a very reasonable price and now she won't stop wearing it.

Yes, the wife bought a watch onboard the Grand. We don't always carry the phone. So the wife bought a watch at the sale they always have every cruise. I think she spent a whopping $10. It still works but she keeps it in a drawer.

You could buy maybe 20 of them. Should last her 10 years.:D

We have purchased several watches onboard Princess ships. DH and I both have Citizen Eco-Drive watches that we've had for several years, and they work fine. We love the Eco-Drive feature which never needs batteries. The prices were always lower than we've seen on shore or online.

DH also buys the $10-$15 watches that are offered a few nights. When he works outside or goes fishing his watches get spitted from sweating, and he doesn't mind messing up a cheap watch. He's had amazing luck with these watches. They often go well over a year before the battery needs to be replaced, and the battery is an easily found type.

I plan to buy another Citizen on our cruise next week.

About 10 years ago - I purchased a Citizen Eco-Drive watch. I did google it on the ship and with my Elite discount and discount the first day, I could not beat the price. 10 years later, this has turned out to be the best watch I have ever owned. And it never needs batteries. I later got a 2nd one on the ship during the 50th Anniversary with the Princess logo on it. I also love that.

I highly recommend the Citizen's Eco-Drive. Take a look before you go on the cruise. They actually had a good variety on the ship.

Thank you all for such great information. It sounds like we should buy my wife a watch on the cruise. Also, there seemed to be indications of sale pricing on the first day. We will check out the Citizen Eco-Drive watches before the cruise to have something to compare to the on board watches.

Thank you all for such great information. It sounds like we should buy my wife a watch on the cruise. Also, there seemed to be indications of sale pricing on the first day. We will check out the Citizen Eco-Drive watches before the cruise to have something to compare to the on board watches.

They will have a few sales during the cruise so don’t jump in on the first day.Normally prices only go down.

I also own a Citizen Eco-Drive which we purchased onboard. I had priced them on Amazon and at Macy’s before we boarded and with their onboard promotion and my Elite discount (and not having to pay sales tax) we actually saved quite a bit. Still works like a charm too!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums