Princess Cruise lines discriminates against Single Travelers.

goSolo

I was trying to book a Sapphire Princess for May 26,2018 outof Southampton. I would be traveling alone and know that the Cruise line charges 200% for someone traveling alone. Went direct to the princess website. Found my cruise.

I indicated 1 guest and Interior Room – The web site saidall interior rooms were SOLD OUT

So next Tried Obstructed Ocean View again SOLD OUT

Next Ocean View and again SOLD OUT

Premium Ocean View - SOLD OUT

This seemed a bit odd so I restarted my booking attempt butthis time left the number of Guests as 2

Suddenly cabins were available in Interior, Obstucted OceanView and Ocean View.

Not wanting to believe that this type of intention discrimination could betrue I reset to single guest and all rooms were once again suddenly SOLD OUT.

I called Princess to Inquiry about this and spoke with acruise planner Veronicia who also told me everything below a balcony were sold out. I explained how I had experimented with thewebsite and suddenly she needed to speak with their technical people. 20 plus minutes on hold before they reluctantlyconfirmed rooms are available but they limit the sale of rooms to controlcapacity.

Next I Got passed up the chain to Dale (another 30 minutes on hold followed by a promise to call me back) .

She did return the call blamed it on anew Computer System. She was willing to book me but could not confirm thatPrincess had any intention of changing the policy or fixing the website.

I Declined to book and feel this policy should be investigatedfurther anyone know a good lawyer.

• Like 1

Instead of a lawyer get a good TA who does a lot of business with Princess. They may have the clout to get a cabin released to you.

If this has left a bad taste in your mouth towards Princess (and I understand why), go with a non-Carnival Corp line like Celebrity, NCL or RCI.

I suggest calling a Travel Agent who specializes in Princess or cruises. They should be able to book this. Plus, you may save money over Princess.

Princess's website is flaky at times. And sometimes they are working on the system which can cause their ship to look like it is sold out.

You will probably have to pay 200% being a single.

• Like 1

The single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket (all except for the taxes and fees). I don't know why they would care whether they were booking one or two people in a cabin. Capacity control would imply that they can't book the cabin full to the max number it can sleep.

Yes, on some special sales, they reduce the single supplement, but unfortunately the 100% supplement is standard on most lines.

• Like 1

I don't know why they would care whether they were booking one or two people in a cabin. Capacity control would imply that they can't book the cabin full to the max number it can sleep.

I do. Two people drink more and spend more than one.

I sail solo all the time, mostly with Princess, never book direct with them. I look at cruises, then get with my travel agent and she books it for me. I always get a better price than what Princess offered. A few months ago, booking a Fall 2019 transatlantic, many inside cabins were gone already, it happens.

I find the same issue the OP did when test booking that date for one--nothing below a balcony.

For the cruise in question, the only inside cabins available is a guarantee for category IB.

There are a few categories of obstructed oceanview, but only a single unobstructed oceanview cabin, available.

This close to sailing with this few cabins available they get to pick and choose who they offer the last minute deals to. Nothing unique about Princess, this is industry-wide. And the airlines do the same with the last couple seats on each flight.

BUT you were ultimately offered a solo booking, though admittedly it took an interminable amount of time. So it is a website policy of only loading the lower-category last minute rates for double occupancy. Which again other cruise lines share: exact same thing happened to me on my one (and final) Celebrity cruise which I booked as a solo also; the current rate only showed online when number of pax selected was 2, so I called and while the X rep also did have to check with a supervisor I was fairly quickly quoted the correct corresponding single rate.

Edited by fishywood
  • Like 1

I was trying to book a Sapphire Princess for May 26,2018 outof Southampton. I would be traveling alone and know that the Cruise line charges 200% for someone traveling alone. Went direct to the princess website. Found my cruise.

I indicated 1 guest and Interior Room – The web site saidall interior rooms were SOLD OUT

This seemed a bit odd so I restarted my booking attempt butthis time left the number of Guests as 2

Not wanting to believe that this type of intention discrimination could betrue I reset to single guest and all rooms were once again suddenly SOLD OUT.

I called Princess to Inquiry about this and spoke with acruise planner Veronicia who also told me everything below a balcony were sold out. I explained how I had experimented with thewebsite and suddenly she needed to speak with their technical people. 20 plus minutes on hold before they reluctantlyconfirmed rooms are available but they limit the sale of rooms to controlcapacity.

Next I Got passed up the chain to Dale (another 30 minutes on hold followed by a promise to call me back) .

She did return the call blamed it on anew Computer System. She was willing to book me but could not confirm thatPrincess had any intention of changing the policy or fixing the website.

I Declined to book and feel this policy should be investigatedfurther anyone know a good lawyer.

Never heard of this.

i do. Two people drink more and spend more than one.

Bingo!

I have had a similar experience with MSC Cruises when trying to book myself solo to go along with some friends. I called and they said their minimum is 2 persons in a cabin. Hence, why there was no option for 1 when searching for the cruises on the website. I did not pursue it and I did Not go on the cruise.

I am glad to have this brought to my attention and now I know if I encounter an issue like that, pursue it further to see if that could be the problem.

Edited by hpeabody

The single supplement is 100% of the cruise fare portion of the ticket (all except for the taxes and fees). I don't know why they would care whether they were booking one or two people in a cabin. Capacity control would imply that they can't book the cabin full to the max number it can sleep.

Yes' date=' on some special sales, they reduce the single supplement, but unfortunately the 100% supplement is standard on most lines.[/quote']

Because they still lose money on a solo even with the 100% supplement. The reason why is because a Princess gets 25-30% of its revenue from on board sales. Using the lower estimate of 25% (you can get the actuall number across all off the CCL lines by looking at the 10Q or 10K filings) if a fare is X then 2 people in a cabin will generate 2X + 2(.25X) = 2.50X compared with a solo that would generate 2X + .25X) =2.25X. A opportunity loss of 10%. Considering that cruise line profit margins are usually less than 10% and that occupancy rates are usually around 105% of 2 person per cabin capacity, there is a limited number of solo cabins that the cruise line can sell per cruise and still maintain their profit margins.

As such it would not be a surprise if they limited the number of solo cabins they allow to be booked. They would probably allow more if a higher number of 3-4 person per cabins booked on a given cruise.

Whether the issue was the yield management algorithm or a computer problem, Princess offered a cabin which was declined & instead is seeking a good lawyer for a discrimination case..wow! :confused: :rolleyes:

Edited by Astro Flyer

Whether the issue was the yield management algorithm or a computer problem, Princess offered a cabin which was declined & instead is seeking a good lawyer for a discrimination case..wow! :confused: :rolleyes:
Exactly. As someone who always books as a solo, I use a TA who books a very high volume of Princess cruises and have never had a problem booking as a solo vs. double occupancy. Plus I save at least 10% over the direct Princess fare rates.

What I have seen are promotions that exclude solo cruisers... they’re based on double occupancy. Several times, there was a “2 for the price of 1” promotion but as a solo, I was excluded. I felt that was discrimination.

Booking is a choice. I can book or not book for a price I’m willing to pay.

I have an important news flash for you.

ALL of the mass market cruise lines discriminate against solo cruisers.

But they are usually very careful to hide it well.

Yes, some solo cruisers have no problems booking. But when a ship reaches a maximum quota of singles (set by the cruise line), suddenly nearly everything is fully booked.

They also discriminate against families with children in exactly the same way.

Some lines discriminate against selected nationalities - once again, in exactly the same way.

Why do they do it? It's always about the money.

Single travelers, on average, spend less money onboard than travelers with friends.

Adults, on average, spend more money onboard than children.

Some nationalities are adverse to tipping the staff, which costs the cruise line more money to compensate the staff.

If you owned a business, would you encourage customers who increased your profits, or those who decreased your profits?

It's totally true that a lot of cruiselines are not solo friendly : first of all Costa and Msc. Sometimes they forbid solo booking (what the OP experienced with Princess), sometimes they apply a 125% single supplement, I even saw a 180% or a 225% ss on those cruiselines! (clearly not a real supplement but a way to say "we don't want you!"). "Money" or not, it can be very offending for a solo traveller and I perfectly understand the OP reaction. But travelling solo can be very interesting too, specially with premium and luxury cruiselines, who apply low single supplements on some cruises (10% to 50%). Last year, I cruised with Azamara (25% ss) for 700€ less than this year on Princess (Europe, same duration, same month, better cabin and more perks on Azamara). I also cruised on Silversea for less. And sometimes, I got incredible free upgrades because the cruiseline needed my cabin for a full-paying couple. Unfortunately, this year, only Princess was doing the cruise that I wanted to do. When you travel solo, you need to be very flexible and carefully check all the cruiselines, you could be happily surprised.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Last year, I cruised with Azamara (25% ss) for 700€ less than this year on Princess (Europe, same duration, same month, better cabin and more perks on Azamara). I also cruised on Silversea for less. And sometimes, I got incredible free upgrades because the cruiseline needed my cabin for a full-paying couple. Unfortunately, this year, only Princess was doing the cruise that I wanted to do. When you travel solo, you need to be very flexible and carefully check all the cruiselines, you could be happily surprised.

Interesting about the upscale lines. Is the cost of the cruise actually lower or only lower when you compare to adding drink package, etc? Just wondering since I never really looked at these lines since they are pricier and I don't drink.

The price was actually lower, the difference I quoted was for the cruise "basic price", I don't count perks or drinks (I'm a water-coffee-tea drinker), but you have to check carefully : last year, Azamara prices went down and so did the single supplement, this year, prices and single supplement are still high, so, not interesting for now. I'm in EU so I generally use a german website which not only publishes fares and single supplements in € and % for every cruise (so you exactly know how the cruiseline treats solo cruisers!), but also sends you automatically all the fares changes for the cruise(s) you are planning to do, so you don't have to check everyday. I suppose I'm not allowed to give you their name, because they also act as a travel agency in EU. I believe you can find this type of website everywhere. Personnally, I choose an itinerary and a period, and then, check every cruiseline with no prejudice, sometimes I get a very good price on a premium/luxury cruiseline, sometimes I don't (this year!) but it worth trying!

Bingo!

I have had a similar experience with MSC Cruises when trying to book myself solo to go along with some friends. I called and they said their minimum is 2 persons in a cabin. Hence, why there was no option for 1 when searching for the cruises on the website. I did not pursue it and I did Not go on the cruise.

I am glad to have this brought to my attention and now I know if I encounter an issue like that, pursue it further to see if that could be the problem.

Had the same happen to me with MSC so booked my husband with me and he will be a no show when I board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Princess Cruise lines discriminates against Single Travelers.

I don't think "Single" is a protected class under the law, but good luck with your litigation.