Europe advice needed July/Aug 2018

javajoe1

Thinking of Europe this summer and see that many of the best deals and inside staterooms seem sold out already. Thats a bit hard to believe. What source to cruisers use for the best deals ? Thinking July or August. 10-11 days optimum Prefer Celebrity or Princess and dont want an older ship. Prefer italy spain and possibly greece. Not so much England as we've been there seperately. Thoughts ?? ages 58 and 57

If you are thinking of a Euro cruise this Summer, I’d suggest you either re-post your question on the standard Celebrity forum area instead of this section which has to do with the Celebrity Edge which won’t be cruising in Europe until 2019. We are on the Edge Aug 2019 Euro cruise and it should be great, but your thread here may have to be moved by the Host, or you can re-post there and the Host can kill this one.

It can be a bit confusing!

Den

Hi javajoe,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Hard for many of us to give you advice without knowing a little more about you. That said, when I am looking at a cruise I often go to one of the TA websites so I can see all that is out there.

I search by the months I can cruise, pick the area I want to cruise and finally limit my search to those cruiselines that I like (currently X, HAL and perhaps Princess). Once I know all that is out there I focus on the ones that really interest me and keep investigating those until I choose one.

For this summer I wound up booking the Celebrity Refection July 31st Western Med sailing. Very nice itinerary.

Good luck. I'd mention which websites I use however that is not allowed on this forum.

Thinking of Europe this summer and see that many of the best deals and inside staterooms seem sold out already. Thats a bit hard to believe. What source to cruisers use for the best deals ? Thinking July or August. 10-11 days optimum Prefer Celebrity or Princess and dont want an older ship. Prefer italy spain and possibly greece. Not so much England as we've been there seperately. Thoughts ?? ages 58 and 57

Summer Med cruises tend to book quickly...Kids are off school, teachers are off work, Europeans tend to travel, depending on which country they're from, in either July or August. We usually book our cruises FAR in advance...We are already booked, for example, for July 2019...and have been since the schedules first came out...You typically get the best deals booking very early (Those last minute deals you always hear about are usually best for off-season cruises--where the ships don't necessarily sell out and the cruise lines have to hold a "fire sale" just to fill them...But, summer cruises in the Med tend to sell well, so choice cabins tend to sell out early and prices tend to rise over time).

That said, best way to find a great deal is to work with a travel agent in an agency that does a high volume--whether it be an internet-based website or a large high volume agency (I prefer the latter due to more personal contact). None of us can recommend a particular agent or agency because that violates Cruise Critic rules...But, if you do a little research, you can locate one that will give you a great deal--usually providing valuable premiums--like refundable onboard credit. Either find a cruise and submit an email request to several agencies...or use one of those websites that allows different agents to compete for your business. Then compare the different offers you get.

As to insides selling out, remember that, over the course of time, some of those may open up again--because some people cancel bookings--especially when final payment comes due. Also know that some agencies will reserve large numbers of cabins for group rates--and you may find some of those by contacting those agencies (sort of hit and miss finding them--you'll have to do a little work). Also know that often, the deals you might find on an ocean view cabin are not that far off of what you would have paid for an inside--since cabin categories are often priced separately on a supply and demand basis. The pricing doesn't always make sense. Also, on Celebrity, often the difference in value is deceptive since the Ocean View may qualify for special deals under the "Go Big, Go Better" promotions...and the insides do not. For example, on one cruise we're on, the insides start at about $1800 pp and the OVs at $2300 pp...but the OVs get two free perks...when you work in the value of the free drink packages and the OBC (depending on whether you would run up a bar bill or not), the OVs turn out to be a better deal...so, consider that as well...

BTW, I am a frequent cruiser on both Celebrity AND Princess and I would tell you to take Celebrity over Princess every time if all else were equal...Roomier, less crowded ship, more comfortable staterooms, larger capacity showroom, better dining room service...X is the hands down winner...

Good luck...

If you are flexible in terms of dates, you might want to wait until September, when crowds are thinner and the weather is a little cooler; I suspect that the prices might be lower as well.

Agree that fall will be less crowded when children back in school, but prices generally don't drop for ships and airfare until mid to late October. In addition, it's not surprising that more popular cruises do sell out far in advance of sailing dates. We generally book about a year in advance in order to get good prices and our choice of cabins.

Good luck with your planning. Like others have stated, the summers are hot and crowded with high prices, but deals can be found. I have cruised exclusively in Europe for many years. I love all the history and culture...you will have a great time, but better in the fall!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

European school holidays are a little staggered, with some already back mid to late August. You may find more attractive pricing 3rd and 4th week of August. Also worth checking if any TA has any group bookings -- I've stumbled across these on a couple of occasions.