Cayman Islands Visa Question

My wife holds a Colombian passport; I am a US citizen. We live in Texas. This trip is our honeymoon and is going to be our first cruise. I been asking around and I have been told she does not need a visa for Cayman Islands. She has a work permit for the US (not a green card yet).

Can anybody tell me how closely the immigration officials will look at our papers? Are they very strict? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I've never seen immigration officials looking at papers in the Caribbean ports, they look at a manifest of passengers' info when clearing the ship. IMO, you'll be OK. Passports are generally only looked at upon check in and when returning to the US during debarkation by US CBP (assuming cruise is closed-loop leaving from US port, returning to US port). Most people leave their actual passports in the safe once the cabins are available. Some port security will check photo ID upon return, some won't. They're hired security, not immigration people.

I leave the passport in the safe and bring my driver's license off the ship. If there's an issue and you need your passport for whatever reason, you can contact the port agent via telephone and they can have someone get it for you.

My wife holds a Colombian passport; I am a US citizen. We live in Texas. This trip is our honeymoon and is going to be our first cruise. I been asking around and I have been told she does not need a visa for Cayman Islands. She has a work permit for the US (not a green card yet).

Can anybody tell me how closely the immigration officials will look at our papers? Are they very strict? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by islesdave
more info added.

You will be required to provide proof of citizenship (in your case, a US passport) on departure. Your wife should bring both the Colombian passport and the work permit on embarkation, mainly for your return back to the US. We were advised to bring our passports with us during port days - contrary to "leaving it in the safe" as suggested above. This is mainly precautionary since they won't check the passport when you return to the ship.

In port days, you are not technically immigrating into the country - since they know you are leaving on the boat - which is why they don't check in the ports. They will definitely check when you return to the US.