Cruising out of Galveston in January

We are considering a Western Caribbean RCCL cruise out of Galveston on Dec. 30. We have never cruised at this time of year and never gone out of Galveston. I'm a little concerned that it will not be warm enough. We will have 3 young children and want it to be warm enough for them to enjoy the pools and slides every day. I checked the weather in Cozumel and it shows 81/82 for January. Has anyone ever cruised in January and was it warm enough to swim everyday? What about on sea days when you're cruising and a little breezy?

I would figure on cool weather at times. We had a balcony in feb, i had a fleece jacket with hood, wound up wrapped up in a towel over that in order to enjoy balcony, my number one pleasure on cruise. I now don't cruise past Oct or before late March. Just personal preference.

Cool depends on where you’re from. We are from Iowa and it seemed cool the first day and a couple evenings, but most of the time it was beautiful. January is my favorite time to cruise. Our 4 yr old GS swam every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We have cruised out of Galveston a number of times in late fall/early winter. First, we love Galveston and find it a very friendly place to visit. It can be cool necessitating a light / medium jacket for most ( I, however, am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so I wear shorts and a long sleeve shirt. ) The temperature is simply something you tolerate while having a great experience. The temperature in mid/late December through probably mid February can create an issue other than comfort. Namely, FOG. If you are flying into IAH or Hobby ( we always use Hobby ) you might want to consider formulating a "Plan B" in case the ship is late returning to port. We have been fortunate but it is not unusual to see significant delays. Just my humble opinion.

Our first cruise was out of Galveston. We were cold the first day and the last day with 5 warm days in-between. Ever since then we've flown to Puerto Rico to start our cruises. From there every day is nice and warm.