Best Snorkeling Island

We will be visiting St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados in November aboard the Celebrity Summit. We would like to snorkel at at least one of those islands. Any ideas which island is best for snorkeling? thank you :ship::):):):)

You may get more responses by posting under each port under the Ports of Call, then Caribbean section of these boards.

We had great snorkeling in Barbados with turtles and saw lots of fish. We went with Calabaza, but there are others that offer similar / less expensive options.

We also enjoyed the snorkeling in St Lucia. We did the Jalousie / Sugar Beach Tour with Spencer Ambrose Tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may get more responses by posting under each port under the Ports of Call, then Caribbean section of these boards.

We had great snorkeling in Barbados with turtles and saw lots of fish. We went with Calabaza, but there are others that offer similar / less expensive options.

We also enjoyed the snorkeling in St Lucia. We did the Jalousie / Sugar Beach Tour with Spencer Ambrose Tours.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

thank you!

First of all, that's a great itinerary! You mention all of my favorite islands. We visited those exact ports last December. You can snorkel at any of these places. What you will want to consider is if you are planning to snorkel off a beach or do an excursion where a boat takes you out into the ocean. At St. Thomas and St. Kitts did beach excursions and my husband said he had a great time snorkeling. We visited Coki Beach in St. Thomas (on our own, not through an excursion) and he saw plenty of fish. In Barbados we were at Carlisle bay beach. Beautiful, crystal clear water with some fish, but not a lot. In Antigua, we did an excursion and took a boat out to snorkel. Tons of fish and marine life to be viewed!

I am wondering how you got to Coki Beach , and will have to worry about getting back to the ship in time to leave ? And would you happen to remember what it cost for the ride to and from there ? and is this a public beach or pay to get on ??? Lots of questions , but I like to be prepared..

Thank You

I am wondering how you got to Coki Beach , and will have to worry about getting back to the ship in time to leave ? And would you happen to remember what it cost for the ride to and from there ? and is this a public beach or pay to get on ??? Lots of questions , but I like to be prepared..

Thank You

Hi we have gone to Coki Beach. we have taken a cab. I believe the price not is $9.00 per person one way. You can arrange for the cab to come back for you or just get a cab at the beach. Next door is Coral World..$20A, $10Y -- it is a nice place to visit.

We will be visiting St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados in November aboard the Celebrity Summit. We would like to snorkel at at least one of those islands. Any ideas which island is best for snorkeling? thank you :ship::):):):)

Hi you can take the water taxi/ferry to St John's

Virgin Islands National Park, St. John, U.S.V.I.

Two-thirds of the island of St. John is protected national park land, including 7,000 acres of forest, beaches, historic sites, and hiking trails. In fact, some of the finest beaches in the Caribbean are located in the park, including Trunk Bay with its famous underwater snorkeling trail and Cinnamon Bay, which has a campground just steps from the shore. The popular Reef Bay Trail leads to the ruins of a historic sugar mill before ending at a secluded beach where you can plunge in and cool off before your return hike.

The Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument, which protects coral reefs offshore of St. John (including the famous Hurricane Hole), is also administered by Virgin Islands National Park; rangers can provide visitor information.

Ferry to ST. JOHN

TRANSPORTATION SERVICES (340) 776-6282

VARLACK VENTURES (340) 776-6412

RED HOOK, St. Thomas to CRUZ BAY, St. John

$7.00 one way, children under twelve $1.00. 15 to 20 minute ride. $4.00 per bag fee.

Leaving Red Hook

Monday: first boat 5:30 am (then same as Tues-Sun)

Tues – Sun: 6:30 am, 7:30 am and 8:00 am, then hourly until Midnight

Leaving Cruz Bay

Every hour from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, St. Thomas to CRUZ BAY, St. John

$13.00 one way; $3.50 children. 45 minute ride. $4.00 per bag fee. Cash Only.

Leaving Charlotte Amalie

Mon – Sun: 10:00 am, 1:00 pm & 5:30 pm

Leaving Cruz Bay

Mon – Sun: 8:45 am, 11:15 am & 3:45 pm

PRIVATE WATER TAXI

DOHM’S CATAMARAN (340-775-6501)

DOLPHIN WATER TAXI (340-774-2628)

to St. John, the British Virgin Islands, Virgin Gorda

Check out this place in St. Thomas... this is where we will be going

While the beach there is nice, the snorkeling is mediocre at best. The best snorkeling is on either edge of the beach as close to the rocks as possible. The problem with snorkeling is that the bottom is too sandy.