Discovery Baltic cruise in September - few queries

Hi All

Wifey and I are reviewing all the stops on the cruise and trying to determine those that we can just walk into from the ship rather than having to book transport to take us in.

When we cruised with Costa about 3 years ago we had to book a bus at most of the ports (and pay a lot for the privilege) since it was a huge ship (Diadema - 4000 passengers) and it couldn't dock so close to the ports.

Can anyone advise which of these ports that we are calling into could we literally just walk off the ship and into the cities themselves: Oslo - Stockholm - Tallin - Helsinki - Warendmunde - Kalenudborg - and Zebrugge.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that buses were laid on by Tui at those ports where they had had to dock some way out and that there is no charge - is that right?

As far as planning anything goes this is what we have so far:

- booked Grand Tour with Alla Tours in St. Petersburg (this seems to be a given for most people)

- Hop on/Hop off at Oslo and do a few sites there

- Hop on/Hop off as Stockholm including the Abba Museum

- Warnemunde just walk in (if we can) and look around this city

- Zebrugge (for Bruges) not sure yet

Any suggestions for must see's and must do's would be very much appreciated.

Hi All

Can anyone advise which of these ports that we are calling into could we literally just walk off the ship and into the cities themselves: Oslo - Stockholm - Tallin - Helsinki - Warendmunde - Kalenudborg - and Zebrugge.

I used https://www.whatsinport.com/index.htm to look at which had things local and which needed a bus (YMMV).

Zebrugge (for Bruges) not sure yet

Any suggestions for must see's and must do's would be very much appreciated.

Haven't done the Baltic cruise but we docked in Zeebrugge on the Discovery repositioning cruise in May. It is a purely industrial port away from any town centre. Can highly recommend the ships Flanders Field excursion if they are still doing it - very emotional going to the Menin Gate and Flanders Field Museum at Ypres (some good shops there too if you fancy some retail therapy and a great bar/restaurant straight across the square from the museum serving local dishes including amazing seafood soup that is a main course rather than a starter) then on to the Tyne Cop cemetery (when we booked on line it said this was a 4 hour excursion but when we got on board our tickets said it was now 6 hours and even that wasn't long enough for us).

Hope this helps.

I'd recommend Bruges.It's a beautiful medieval city with canals meandering around it.Belgium beer,chocolate and boat rides,lol.Just google it,we prebooked a minibus from the port.It's a bit manic with people clambering to get taxis.

You might want to check Kalundborg, the Discovery has been going to Copenhagen instead.

Oslo and just a short walk up town, the Ho Ho bus is expensive, check with google.

Warnemunde is another nice short walk job and I believe Tallinn was as well, can't remember the others as we did tours.

You might want to check Kalundborg, the Discovery has been going to Copenhagen instead.

Oslo and just a short walk up town, the Ho Ho bus is expensive, check with google.

Warnemunde is another nice short walk job and I believe Tallinn was as well, can't remember the others as we did tours.

The hoho bus was about 25 to 30 euro last time we went,but the same company runs in all the ports so you get a 10% discount on all the ports after.Also A few do harbour,river or canal trips included for a few euro more,Helsinki and Copenhagen being the best,if I recollect.Cheers,Brian.ps they run from outside the ship.

We went to Zeebrugge last autumn on the Celebration. Their was a free shuttle from ship to just outside the dock gates, where there is a tram/train that goes along the Belguim coast. You can buy a day ticket for a few euros and visit coastal resorts, or pay a small charge to get to the station in Blankenberge for the short train journey to Brugge.