Spanish Delights and Duty Free

Hi

Going on the Spanish delight cruise in a couple of weeks and wondered if theduty free shops would be open on any of the days.

Thanks

Think your itinerary includes Gibraltar so it should be open,

Yes it will then but if your home port is Malaga be warned that your luggage will be scanned at the port for excess duty free booze and cigs and you will have to go to the airport to pay the duty before you get your luggage back if you are caught Last year a number of passengers were caught - its mainly due to the fact they know the ship has been into Gib

Pretty sure that as you are in and out (Gibraltar) of Europe you are allowed to bring back the allowance from both ,i.e one litre of strong spirits from outside and what you want from inside (duty paid) as long as it's not for resale !! so for yourself or gifts .:)I did check with BRITISH customs some years back and that was what i was told.

Luckily i don't smoke and only intend to buy the legal limit of spirits, plus were cruise only and going from Palma

Yes duty free shop will be open at least one day,it eas when we cruised a few months back that included Gib

We found the port shop at Gib much cheaper than the on board shop even with its extra discount and cheaper than in the town,for tobacco and cigs anyway

No issue with grabbing more than your allowance,no checks at Gib

No checks at Gib and no checks at Palma port I was saying there are extra checks at Malaga port to see if you are over your duty free limit and of course you are allowed a higher allowance from EU Duty paid so that's no problem

Don't wish to be pedantic - but there are no Duty Free shops within the EU, unless you are travelling directly outside of the EU.

The large Carrefour supermarket (walkable from the port area) at Palma is significantly cheaper, and has a much larger selection, than the so called Duty Free outlet on the quayside for passengers boarding cruise ships.

Weecountryman - there shouldn't be any duty free shops within the EU but there are at the European ports and they do have duty free prices. They even say they are selling 'duty free' goods in the airport and on the plane when flying within the EU BUT they don't sell Booze and Cigarettes and I think it's a real con. How can they be duty free? and if so why can they only sell duty free alcohol and cigarettes when you're flying to a non EU airport? I can buy my favourite perfume on line cheaper than in any UK airport 'duty free shop'. I have also tried to refuse to give my boarding pass when buying after sun in the airport 'duty free' shop when travelling to the EU as advised to do last year by a report in a newspaper which said they were claiming VAT back and not passing it on to the customer but I was not allowed to complete my purchase unless I did The whole thing is ridiculous

My wife was refused a bottle of water and 2 magazines in W H Smiths in Newcastle airport this month because she didn't have her boarding card on her. Ludicrous behavior, they don't charge duty free prices anyhow.

Weecountryman - there shouldn't be any duty free shops within the EU but there are at the European ports and they do have duty free prices.

The one at Palma cruise passenger terminal was not Duty Free going by the prices I saw - compared to the supermarket up the road.

There is no Duty Free within the EU, it's only that in some countries alcohol and cigarettes etc. sell al lower retail prices than elsewhere.

No idea where Brexit will take us on DF come 2019.

There should be no duty free shop access except for people from countries outside the EU who can claim VAT back or EU citizens who are flying or sailing outside the EU.

My point was that it is misrepresentation to say you are a duty free shop if you're NOT and if the customer is not allowed to buy at duty free prices and if we can't we don't need to show our boarding passes either

My wife was refused a bottle of water and 2 magazines in W H Smiths in Newcastle airport this month because she didn't have her boarding card on her. Ludicrous behavior, they don't charge duty free prices anyhow.

They cant demand your boarding card for any non duty free items ,they still have the self checkout tills set to ask for it and then they stall when you dont scan it ,you just call an assistant over to overide it.

Used newcastle twice this year with no problem in smiths.

Weecountryman - there shouldn't be any duty free shops within the EU but there are at the European ports and they do have duty free prices. They even say they are selling 'duty free' goods in the airport and on the plane when flying within the EU BUT they don't sell Booze and Cigarettes and I think it's a real con. How can they be duty free? and if so why can they only sell duty free alcohol and cigarettes when you're flying to a non EU airport? I can buy my favourite perfume on line cheaper than in any UK airport 'duty free shop'. I have also tried to refuse to give my boarding pass when buying after sun in the airport 'duty free' shop when travelling to the EU as advised to do last year by a report in a newspaper which said they were claiming VAT back and not passing it on to the customer but I was not allowed to complete my purchase unless I did The whole thing is ridiculous

If they ever refuse to complete your purchase ask them to call the airport duty manager ,they will quickly change their mind

They cant demand your boarding card for any non duty free items ,they still have the self checkout tills set to ask for it and then they stall when you dont scan it ,you just call an assistant over to overide it.

Used newcastle twice this year with no problem in smiths.

I had the same problem as Bill1954 at Luton in May - I stuck to my guns and eventually they took my money without the boarding card but they made me feel very uncomfortable.

If they ever refuse to complete your purchase ask them to call the airport duty manager ,they will quickly change their mind

I might have read the earlier post from Vitalsign wrongly - but if you are flying from a UK airport and seeking to purchase Duty Free goods, that's the reason for boarding passes being requested, to confirm that your flight goes directly outwith the EU.

That's why there are displays indicating different prices for EU internal destinations compared to flights elsewhere, such as the Canaries.

However, asking for BPs to buy a bottle of water, for example, is nonsense.