Speciality dining

Ok, so last week we cracked 52 years married and we are on Discovery 2 next week. I am thinking of booking a speciality restaurant ( or all of them maybe) as a treat for us both. I am sure many of you will have tried them so my questions are; are they worth the extra cost, are they worth trying and finally are there any to avoid? Also, and finally, when is the best time to book. I can’t see anything on the reams of paperwork that suggests I can book before we leave. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, so last week we cracked 52 years married and we are on Discovery 2 next week. I am thinking of booking a speciality restaurant ( or all of them maybe) as a treat for us both. I am sure many of you will have tried them so my questions are; are they worth the extra cost, are they worth trying and finally are there any to avoid? Also, and finally, when is the best time to book. I can’t see anything on the reams of paperwork that suggests I can book before we leave. Thanks

You can't book until you get on board - there are computer terminals at reception where you can book and would suggest you do so soon after boarding as popular times fill up quickly. We were a bit disappointed with Kora La (more the fact that service was very rushed rather than the food) but loved Surf and Turf and ate there twice.

Of the 'ordinary' 2 MDRs our favourite was definitely 'Gallery 47' (Italian) upstairs.

Have a great trip.

Thanks campolady, I think someone else said that too, or maybe I was reading your previous post. I’ll do it soon as we get on I think. We’re on for two weeks so hopefully we will get a slot.

We also loved S & T and found Kora La good but to much food for us it is however the best position on the ship to eat especially when setting sail, we didn't do the hot stone meal on Discovery but have on other Marella ships and that's good fun if a little messy. As campolady says book asap you can get an app for your phone to do this and lots of other things and its free so long as you don't use WiFi. Have a good one.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Pensioncruiser has posted that it's always a good thing to book the speciality restaurants for the change over day if you're on a 2 week cruise as the price is usually reduced We love the surf and turf but it's very filling and we have been pogged every time we've eaten there - but fabulous food If you're on any of the ships other than Discoveries or Explorer you can choose a Steak or lamb chops as a main in the MDR for approx £9.95/£12.95 (depending on which ship) you have a starter and dessert from the normal menu and pay extra for the main - great value

My friend was celebrating his 52 nd wedding anniversary ,he asked his wife has she ever cheated on him ,she said 3 times.who was 1st,she said when we where younger and about to loose the house,and I went to see the adviser,well at least you kept a roof over our heads,who was 2nd,when you were going to loose your job and I went to see your boss,and he kept you on,well at least you made sure we had a income coming in,who was no 3 he asked,she said remember when you wanted 25 votes to become captain of the golf club..

Congratulations Shot2bits there won't be many following you to more years than a golden wedding It'll be a thing if the past unfortunately the way the divorce rate is currently

Enjoy your cruise and be prepared for a wonderful filling meal

SKAman lol

We celebrated 50 years on Discovery a couple of years ago. The family had arranged flowers and chocolates etc and TUI gave us a chocolate cake which was a nice gesture. I’m going to book a couple of the restaurants as soon as we get on board. Decision made!

Congratulations Shot2bits there won't be many following you to more years than a golden wedding It'll be a thing if the past unfortunately the way the divorce rate is currently

Enjoy your cruise and be prepared for a wonderful filling meal

SKAman lol

Me and the wife stuck together for the kids , she wouldn't Take them ,and I wouldn't take them ,so we stayed together , I hope she doesn't read this .

SKA man is that with superglue do you never have time to yourself?[/quoti never have time to myself I'm always on the go apart from three weeks after my op,when I didn't move out of the house ,I was brought up to help people.

I have learned a lot about Discovery 2 by reading these threads. Please can anyone tell me what proportion of men wear dinner jackets on "dress to impress nights?" We were on Discovery last year and my husband took his but we found that only about 5% of men wore them. He is keen to avoid both the wearing and the packing of it if unnecessary.

Returned from a week long Fjords cruise on Discovery 1. As we had been to all ports apart from Rosendal before the excursions were not a priority. So we decided to spend some money on dining. Booked when we got on board via the terminals near reception for Kora La and Surf and Turf. Whilst we booked early evening both places never got busy when we where there.

Kora La up on Deck 11 has fabulous views and is very smart. I thought staff were a bit over enthusiastic in their attention. Nice menu selection and no issues with quality. Super cocktail purchased as well. All in all pleasant but regarded as expensive for hat we had.

Surf and Turf. Pleasant restaurant on Deck 11 with a nice menu. Staff welcoming and enjoyable evening. Same comment as above in that nice but even more expensive.

Would suggest to be used for special occasions only.. States reservations only but not particularly busy.

On Discovery there is also a free restaurant called Gallery 47 which is Italian based. No need to book but very busy. Excellent meal here.

Also a further paid for restaurant called the Glass House. Did not dine there but used late evening as the self service restaurant.

Dining all week was first class