Marella Cruise - Mediterranean Medley - Excursion Advice

Hi,

This will be my first ever cruise this year and travelling with my husband, two small children (7 and 5) and my mum (70s). Looking for advice for excursions suitable for all of us moderate walking fine etc. Also, any of the ports that we are going to, is it worth booking an excursion or is there enough from where the port is to suffice? I was thinking about doing an excursion every other day as it will probably be too much to do a full on day the whole holiday? Any advice or tips very welcome!

Thanks

Livorno

Savona

Monaco

Toulon

Barcelona

Can't help with Savona or Monaco but hope this may be of interest for your other 3 ports:-

TOULON ia one of our favourite ports. The first time we did the ships excursion to Cassis which was lovely but now we always stay in Toulon. Great outdoor market just 5 minutes walk from the cruise terminal. Cable car trip up the mountain - buy tickets for the bus and cable card at the tourist information office. Very good Maritime Museum - discounted admission if you show your cruise card. A trolley train leaves from right outside the cruise terminal giving a good tour of the town with 3 stops where you can get off/on including a very nice beach area.

BARCELONA - If the ship docks at the World Trade Centre it is only a 5 minutes walk to Las Ramblas; if it docks further ou a shuttle bus runs every few minbutes (small charge) to the Columbus Statue at the bottom of Las Ramblas. Don't miss the Boqueria market - one of the best indoor markets in Spain. HOHO bus is a good way to get around. El Corte Ingles at the Plaza Catalunya (top of Las Ramblas) is a large department store with a 9th floor cafe that has spectacular views over the city rooftops. If you want to go to the Nou Camp football stadium book tickets on-line before your holiday to avoid what can be horrendous queues - same goes for the Sagrada Familia. The Gothic Quarter is very interesting and has the cities stunning Cathedral (not to be confused with the Sagrada Familia which is a Basilica not a Cathedral).

LIVORNO - The first time we docked at Livorno we were told there was little to see there so we did the ships excursion 'Taste of Pisa' which was very enjoyable but somewhat rushed being only a half day tour. Since then we have docked at Livorno a further 3 times and each time we have stayed in Livorno itself - always finding something new to see. The port authorities run a shuttle bus from the port to the tourist information office in Livorno centre and the office offers excursions to Lucca, Pisa and Florence at much better prices than similar ship excursions. You can also book tickets for the Livorno Canals boat trip that lasts 45 minutes and is a great way to see the back areas/architecture of the town - again much cheaper than doing the ships similar tour. Livorno has good shops if you fancy some retail therapy, lovely old churches and a very good indoor/outdoor market just 5 minutes walk from where the shuttle bus drops you off/picks you up. If you prefer to walk into Livorno centre it is a bit of a trek through the port but only 5 minutes once outside to the main centre. By the way, if you do any trip to Pisa the coach park is a 15 minutes walk outside the historical centre and the guides do tend to set off at quite a fast pace!

Hope this helps a bit.

Edited by campolady

• 3 weeks later...

There are companies independent of the ship who can do cruising excursions if you google it. It’s worth bearing in mind that the ship won’t wait though if you are late back and not on a Marella organised trip: but if you book a half day one and are scheduled to get back to port several hours before the ship leaves I wouldn’t worry too much :)

From Livorno I would probably say Lucca is more suitable for your group: the Pisa and Florence trips are quite full on and fast paced with lots of walking.

Barcelona I would do on my own: there will be a shuttle from the ship. I would recommend you take it! We thought “oh that’s not far, we can walk” but the port road bends and is deceptively long :)

Toms Port Guides are a really useful (a chap who writes his own, very detailed with maps etc) and What’s in Port website. The Rick Steves Med port cruise guide is also handy but maybe not as up to date as websites and a bit bulky to carry about (although I did on my first cruise).

There are really useful port maps at the guest desk the afternoon before you arrive, I highly recommend those if you are going to port on your own. Super little handy maps :)

Have a good time!