Nordic Prince

So sad to see the MV Nordic Prince’s demise in an Indian scrapyard in 2015. For our honeymoon, my wife and I sailed on the Nordic Prince in June 1978 on a 2 week Caribbean cruise from Miami. We especially liked the Viking Lounge on the smokestake and we always had cocktails there with friends when we left a port. My wife had sailed on the Nordic Prince in 1974 with her family which why we chose the Nordic Prince for our honeymoon. We still have the brochures, menus and deck plans from that trip. We just completed our 22nd Princess cruise this past week which all started for me on the Nordic Prince.

• 5 months later...
A July 4th, 1984 cruise on Nordic Prince has been my only Royal Caribbean cruise experience. I remember it as being a very pleasant cruise. Food was very good, table mates were very nice people, one of whom I still keep in touch, and very small cabins. One could sit on one's bed and touch knees with the person sitting on their bed.

Memorable was our sailaway on July 4th from St. Thomas: the Captain, a Captain Peterson, I think, came on the PA and warned us--in case anyone had any--not to fire off any fireworks during the night. Fireworks at sea, he said, is a sign of a vessel in distress.

The only negative that I recall is from the night the comment cards were received. Our dining room waiter begged for an excellent rating. After all these years, I still remember this: his begging was so unnecessary. The service that he and the assistant waiter had given had been excellent--and we so indicated that on the comment card. But, his begging left a slightly sour taste towards my Royal Caribbean experience.

We were also on this cruise for our honeymoon. By any chance do you still have the passenger list? If you can believe this is we are trying to get credit for this cruise that will move us to the next tier in their rewards program. Thanks. DOUG S

We were also on this cruise for our honeymoon. By any chance do you still have the passenger list? If you can believe this is we are trying to get credit for this cruise that will move us to the next tier in their rewards program. Thanks. DOUG S

Hello DOUG S, former fellow shipmate!

No passenger list, I am sorry to tell you. You are in the exact same position that I was when I booked my Celebrity cruise. I hoped to apply my Royal Caribbean past guest status for credit with Celebrity.

I don't recall what documentation I attempted to use. Informing them that I had been an Anchor & Crown Society member proved useless. Newsletters that I once received are long gone and who even thought to record a membership number! Their data base, I was told, does not go back to our Nordic Prince cruise.

Regretfully, I cannot help you. But, I do hope you succeed in gaining a higher reward tier in their Program. Looking at my signature with my patronage on HAL cruises, I can assure you that such loyalty to a cruise line is well worthwhile.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed the Nordic Prince. Can't recall just where it was, but I saw our "friend" in a Euopean port a few years ago. She was idle at that time, I think. But, I don't think the "breakers" have gotten her yet.

Hello DOUG S, former fellow shipmate!

No passenger list, I am sorry to tell you. You are in the exact same position that I was when I booked my Celebrity cruise. I hoped to apply my Royal Caribbean past guest status for credit with Celebrity.

I don't recall what documentation I attempted to use. Informing them that I had been an Anchor & Crown Society member proved useless. Newsletters that I once received are long gone and who even thought to record a membership number! Their data base, I was told, does not go back to our Nordic Prince cruise.

Regretfully, I cannot help you. But, I do hope you succeed in gaining a higher reward tier in their Program. Looking at my signature with my patronage on HAL cruises, I can assure you that such loyalty to a cruise line is well worthwhile.

Incidentally, I really enjoyed the Nordic Prince. Can't recall just where it was, but I saw our "friend" in a Euopean port a few years ago. She was idle at that time, I think. But, I don't think the "breakers" have gotten her yet.

I don't know if this will work but why not try forwarding copies of pix that you took of yourselves onboard the ship. Show the Nordic Prince and some ports and write up your list of ports.

I don't know if this will work but why not try forwarding copies of pix that you took of yourselves onboard the ship. Show the Nordic Prince and some ports and write up your list of ports.

This is a very good suggestion. And, I should have thought of it.

Trying to establish past guest status on Cunard for a QM2 cruise, I sent to Cunard a copy of a photo taken by the ship's photographer on QE2 in 1980. That was sufficient to obtain past guest status, such as it was.

• 5 months later...

I know that's a very old topic but perhaps someone will be able to help me. My father used to work on a Nordic Prince as a drummer in a band- year 1977/1978. I have a photograph of him, his fellow musicians and someone who looks to me like a captain. Does anyone knows the captains name? Many thanks!

img_43_44_008.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 3/18/2007 at 8:47 PM, Philly Steve said:

I had the pleasure of cruising her when she was known as MS Carousel and sailed for Sun Cruises. We did the southern Caribbean and our fellow passengers were mostly from the Uk. I wonder why, unlike the former Song of America, her Viking Crown Lounge did not survive.

When each of the first three RCCL ships were sold the Viking Crown lounge was removed because it was such a symbol of the cruise line that they didn’t want it associated with any other company. When SOA was sold it couldn’t be removed because the ship would not be structurally viable. The crown on SOA was much larger.

Here some Deck Plans from this iconic cruiseship as NORDIC PRINCE (RCCL brochure1975):

1553531384_NordicPrinceDP.thumb.jpg.4dae7d9661d755a6546c131de4806d35.jpg

next one as AQUAMARINE 2009:

1151588350_AquamarineDP2009.thumb.jpg.e5ea66006ff4d763495e36ed7d56fe89.jpg

From the three, only the cozy SUN VIKING survived until now 2021. Working

as the golden gambling ship ORIENTAL DRAGON in all her beauty in Hongkong:

http://www.metropolis-cruise.com/eng/orientaldragon.php

2009852848_ORIENTALDRAGON.thumb.png.dcfb278e8e9e974ac58ac308d563783e.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scandinavian World said:

NORDIC PRINCE

Thanks for your post.

Nordic Prince:  cabins that were so small; no real closet as I recall.

Stairs to climb to get to the Viking Crown Lounge.  Then, once there, it was so warm--maybe because being attached to the funnel--I didn't stay too long.  

It was a good cruise that provided good memories and even some friends with whom I maintained contact for many years until they transitioned to an eternal cruise.