Home Lines-Oceanic-cruisers

Oceanic was one of my favorites. Cruised on her in 1981 and 1982; met my husband on her in 1982.

Some Trivia: Did you know the Oceanic and a freighter collided in New York harbor in dense fog in April 17, 1982?? There was a gash in the bow and several damaged lifeboats. We had to sit in NY harbor until the morning when the Coast Guard could inspect the ship. Luckily, there were still enough lifeboats for the number of passengers on board, so the ship was allowed to sail.

Susan

• 4 weeks later...

I met my wife on the Oceanic in 1971. We were married a few months later. We will celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary in July by cruising on the Celebrity Summit with our children and grandchildren. Seems like yesterday.:) Wish the Home Lines was still around.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read on another site that the Oceanic has been sold for scrap and will be heading for Alang, India in July. I guess this day was inevitable but so sad. We all have to keep her memory alive on these boards.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents had their first and only cruise on Oceanic. As a matter of fact, it was their experiences on her that made me say to myself that I would cruise one day. I'm sorry to say that both my parents have passed, but I post this today in memory of them and the wonderful time they had on Oceanic.

• 2 weeks later...

Second only to actually GOING on the cruise were the wonderful "BonVoyage" parties prior to sailing. Anyone, for a buck, could go on the ship. I think there were 10 well-wishers for every passenger. Coolers, trays of sandwiches, pizzas, bottle of champagne, cookies, flowers, streamers, bands on deck. Particularly April to Nov, when it did the 7 day cruises, we'd end up on a Saturday on the "Oceanic" probably at least every couple of months seeing someone off. Great PR for the line. I can imagine how many people ended up booking a cruise after going aboard to see someone off!

• 2 weeks later...

What a difference!!!!!! We brought friends to the pier Sunday, they sailed on the "Veendam" to Bermuda. We stayed on the dock and waived them off. There were maybe 20 people on the dock, no streamers, no band on deck, what a let down. But it brought back fond memories of sailing on a Saturday on the "Oceanic" and having HUNDREDS of people on the dock and both on the dock and on the ship throwing streamers at each other while the band played out on the deck. "La nave e en partenza!"

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read through all of the posts on this site, so this might have already been mentioned, but if you are on facebook, under "find friends", put in "Oceanic Home Lines" There are a lot of posts and a LOT of photos. Many are from former crew members. Check out the one of a few of the staff presenting Everett E. Everett with a b-day cake! There are a few photos here and there of the "Buffet Magnifique" Check those out compared to the buffets on ships today. Boy.......a lot of great memories come to mind after looking at those photos!

• 3 months later...
I was an assistent purser on board ss.Oceanic from 1965 to1968.That time I was 28 and I can say that time was the best time of my life.I'm very happy to know that you have appreciated the crew members' work.

I left the ship after the fire accident two days of sailing toward Nassau.

We turned back to New York because the cruise was interrupted. Since then I returned back to Italy and left the ship's life forever.But I must say that I remember those days many times and regret not have changed my mind in order to sail again. I'm now grand father I love my family very much. I also worked on the Homeric first and the the Oceanic

after and I'll never forget those days. The best days of my life.Thank you for what you have said about the ship and the crewmembers.

Ciao

Joseph

I sailed on the Oceanic from 1965 to 1974. You indicated that you were an assistant purser from 1965 to 1968. Was Rocco Macri the Chief Purser at that time. I remember Rocco teaching me how to play chess. But I also dated one of the bartenders Gino and even visited him in Italy. However, things weren't left too well with either of us. I made a mistake and it cost me his friendship and he will always have a very special place in my heart. The Oceanic was truly a beautiful ship and my memories of being on her on wonderful. I still love to cruise and as a matter of fact, I am sailing on November 12th out of Barcelona on the MSCs Poesia on a Transatlantic trip and hoping that the Italian influence will remind me of the wonderful sailing days on the Oceanic. She will always be my first love. I must go through my old photos and post some of them for people to see. I only hope that the Oceanic or now known as the Peace Boat isn't sold for scrap and that she is purchased and made into a ship hotel. I know I would be honoured to once again be on board.

I believe the Oceanic was sent to a scrapyard in China about two months ago, check MaritimeMatters.com.

In my mind, the most succesfull, most glamorous ship of all time. And at a popular price no less!

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

I checked all of the list of all ships going to the Chinese scrapyard. The SS Oceanic is not on that list. But you could check for yourself.

I checked all of the list of all ships going to the Chinese scrapyard. The SS Oceanic is not on that list. But you could check for yourself.

I just checked the maritime web site and it did NOT indicate that the Oceanic has gone to the scrapyard. It just indicated that she is still the Peace Boat. Why oh why didn't they convert her into a Diesel ship, because she could still be sailing on the many oceans where she belongs. It truly will be a very sad day if she is sent to the scrapyard. The only saving grace is nothing can take away the wonderful memories of a fantastic ship and her special crew that sailed on her over the years.

Read the following taken from Maritime Matters:

Last weekend, after de-storing in Yokohama, Peaceboat’s SS THE OCEANIC (ex OCEANIC, STARSHIP OCEANIC) arrived at Zhoushan, China for scrapping. She is the final remnant of Italy’s “Golden Age” of liners and cruise ships built at the famed Cantieri Riuniti dell’Adriatico shipyard in Monfalcone in the early-to-mid 1960s. The first ship with a magrodome-enclosed pool and one of the first to sport verandah cabins, THE OCEANIC has led a remarkable, relatively untarnished career until recently. High fuel prices and the need for costly mechanical repairs finally did her in. With the demise of THE EMERALD and THE OCEANIC, there is only one steam-powered cruise ship left, the laid up ATLANTIC STAR (ex FAIRSKY) of 1984.

link:

http://maritimematters.com/2012/06/scraps-of-news/

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Read the following taken from Maritime Matters:

Last weekend, after de-storing in Yokohama, Peaceboat’s SS THE OCEANIC (ex OCEANIC, STARSHIP OCEANIC) arrived at Zhoushan, China for scrapping. She is the final remnant of Italy’s “Golden Age” of liners and cruise ships built at the famed Cantieri Riuniti dell’Adriatico shipyard in Monfalcone in the early-to-mid 1960s. The first ship with a magrodome-enclosed pool and one of the first to sport verandah cabins, THE OCEANIC has led a remarkable, relatively untarnished career until recently. High fuel prices and the need for costly mechanical repairs finally did her in. With the demise of THE EMERALD and THE OCEANIC, there is only one steam-powered cruise ship left, the laid up ATLANTIC STAR (ex FAIRSKY) of 1984.

link:

http://maritimematters.com/2012/06/scraps-of-news/

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

I checked the Maritimematters website as well. However, I also check other sites as well. What makes me sad about this whole thing is the fact that the ship was immediately sold rather just be placed on the market for a time. Who knows what's going on with the Oceanic. I do know that the place where the ship was last reported doesn't have a ship breaking facility in place to breakup the vessel.

As a long retired RCCI exec who was sitting on my table on the original Loveboat, Pacific Princess, in 1975 told me:

"Every ship is always on the market, for the right price"

Worldspan

131 cruises strong

Edited by worldspan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i know this is an old thread but i never did see any pics of her breaking posted. i did see today on google maps what appears to be the oceanic cut down of all superstructure in zhoushan china.

Edited by matt87

• 4 years later...
Hi you all, I was working on the Oceanic from 1975 until 1982 as a Chef de Rang (Waiter). I have very fond memories and met lots of great people. I am from Italy but now I live in Oregon.

Ciao a tutti.

Piero G.

Do you remember carolyn ad John from new Jersey?

I was an assistent purser on board ss.Oceanic from 1965 to1968.That time I was 28 and I can say that time was the best time of my life.I'm very happy to know that you have appreciated the crew members' work.

I left the ship after the fire accident two days of sailing toward Nassau.

We turned back to New York because the cruise was interrupted. Since then I returned back to Italy and left the ship's life forever.But I must say that I remember those days many times and regret not have changed my mind in order to sail again. I'm now grand father I love my family very much. I also worked on the Homeric first and the the Oceanic

after and I'll never forget those days. The best days of my life.Thank you for what you have said about the ship and the crewmembers.

Ciao

Joseph

Do you remember my parents carolyn and John from new Jersey?