Skeet Shooting????

Not sure of the year, but I think it was 1996 or 1997 when I won a trinket on board the old Star Princess while sailing in the Caribbean.

Skeet shooting was discontinued because of the appearance of adding to sea pollution.

Not sure as to the dates, but when the cruise lines became environmentally aware of the oceans' need for sensible use of this resource, driving golf balls, skeet shooting, etc. became extinct as a cruise activity. The USCG, environmental groups, international conferences concerning the oceans, along with what people began discovering was washing ashore on their beaches led to ending such activities.

In my early cruising days, I remember seeing crew members bringing large bags of trash, etc. up from below decks, taking them to the fantail, and throwing the bags overboard. Any vessel doing such today, if caught, would be fined a huge amount and gain a very large black eye in the minds of the public.

We did skeet shooting on our first cruise in 1994 aboard the Norway. Wore ear protection but my ears were ringing for days! A safety hazard for obvious reasons too.

Never did an on deck golf swing though. Remember the Seinfeld "Hole in One" episode? :D

I remember skeet shooting on Homes lines and Chandris cruise line. Back in the late 1970's early eighties I was on a get a way girls cruise with a friend of mine. Back then it was mostly men who did the skeet shooting. The staff really did not want her to shoot. But my friend who was a police officer knew how to shoot. But she did not tell them that she was a officer. They let her shoot after taking lots of time to show her. Then she shot, she hit every clay pigeon in to pieces. The look on the staff faces was priceless!.

• Haha 1

I remember skeet shooting on Homes lines and Chandris cruise line. Back in the late 1970's early eighties I was on a get a way girls cruise with a friend of mine. Back then it was mostly men who did the skeet shooting. The staff really did not want her to shoot. But my friend who was a police officer knew how to shoot. But she did not tell them that she was a officer. They let her shoot after taking lots of time to show her. Then she shot, she hit every clay pigeon in to pieces. The look on the staff faces was priceless!.

Good for her. :cool:

I remember skeet shooting off the back of the Norwegian Dream in the Baltic sea in 1998 with my dad. He hit 10/10 and the Norwegian officers were impressed. I think I got 4/10, but I was still the second best shot there, lol.

That's hilarious!! Love it. Someone else mentioned the Seinfeld episode of golfing episode..:D "I always wanted to pretend to be marine biologist"

• 2 years later...

I remember shooting skeet from the fan tale of ships many years ago but I also remember many years later shooting 'imitation' skeet while at sea too. The name of the ship where I tried 'imitation' skeet escapes me but it might have been the Royal Viking Sea?

Imitation skeet used an exact replica 12 gauge shotgun that was tethered to a portable electronics package. The electronics made the gun recoil (just like the real thing) when you squeezed the trigger. To make it seem even more real the recoil was accompanied by a loudspeaker synthesized shotgun blast. All that left the barrel was a relatively wide electronic laser beam that you aimed at reflective bio degradable pigeons launched from the ships rail. Your score was recorded and displayed on the electronics scoreboard for all to see.

These days it's probably not too wise to hand a loaded [real] shotgun to anyone on a cruise ship or to pollute the oceans with non biodegradable misses - but - I sure had a lot of fun working my way down to one of the worst scores on the ship.

• 2 months later...

Just to nit pick, it's more like trap shooting and not skeet.  Skeet is where you shoot from various positions in a D-shaped course and have two clay pigeons flying near simultaneously (IIRC, or maybe in quick succession). For trap (more like what was found on cruise ships), it is standing in an arc shooting at a target moving away from you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2015 at 2:19 PM, luv2swimwdolphins said:

Actually watching Love Boat as I write this.....what happened to skeet shooting? Not saying I am pro or anti the whole shooting thing....but curious when this stopped on ships.

Our first cruise was on Premier cruise line old mostly wooden ship out of Port Manatee South of Tampa. 1990 if I remember correctly. From the front of ship you got 3 shots at skeet pull for a buck $1.00 cash.

The pool was as big as current hot tubs. We were age 40 ish. Loved the cruise experience but what an old ship with nothing to do. Our first cruise experience and I thought it wonderful.

Never saw skeet shooting again. They also had hitting golf balls of back of ship supposedly made of fish food. I wish I had pictures. Things change.

• 4 weeks later...

I was fortunate to do both skeet and hit golf balls off the ship in the early 80's...

A friend of mine, she's blond, asked what happened to the golf balls. I said that there was a scuba guy retrieving all of the balls and would bring them in later! She believed it!!

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, Heidi13 said:

Memory is a little vague, but I believe on P&O it was called clay-pigeon shooting. It was similar to what "Cruising Cockroach" described as trap shooting, as I only recall a single target moving away from the ship.

They had trap shooting on the Carnival Celebration in 1992.    I was just talking about this with somebody the other day!  Of all the things in the ocean, I would assume clay would be benign...

On 11/27/2018 at 12:02 AM, Heidi13 said:

Memory is a little vague, but I believe on P&O it was called clay-pigeon shooting. It was similar to what "Cruising Cockroach" described as trap shooting, as I only recall a single target moving away from the ship.

Actually you could ask them to send up a double and shoot at two moving targets at the same time.  

On 11/23/2018 at 7:28 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Cunard had skeet shooting on cruises in the 70's

Cunard always had trap shooting.  The shotgun on the QE2 was worth over $10,000 and that was in the 70’s.  Clay shooting was so popular that some ships had morning and afternoon sessions.  It was not unusual to see 20 or more pax show up for a shoot.  NCL Norway and Chandris ships had shooting contests with prizes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Actually you could ask them to send up a double and shoot at two moving targets at the same time.  

Thanks for clarifying, as it wasn't an area we were involved with, hence the memory being vague. Only even saw it a couple of times when doing rounds.