Carnival, Carnivale

Johnkut

My wife and I spent our honey moon on this ship in 1983. There was no where to plug in any thing electric. I think it was converted to a cruise ship from some other type of ship. I remember standing in the dining room and you could almost touch the ceiling. What ever happened to her?

• 1 month later...

:) My first cruise was on the Carnivale also in 1983. Been hooked on cruising ever since. This and the other discussion brings back a lot of great memories. I am glad the ole girl is still afloat.

:D I remember the first night out of Miami the seas were a little rough. If she had stabilizers they were not doing the job. The first and only time I have been sick on a cruise. The rest of the Cruise was great! (Of course it could have been the Mucho Bahama Mamas I drank listening to the Calypso Band on the Sun Deck before we sailed)!:p

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

I believe the Mardi Gras, one of Carnival's first ships is the ex TSS Empress of Britain which used to sail for Canadian Pacific Steamships. She had an all white hull and superstructure with a yellow/ochre funnel which proudly held the red and white checkered house flag. She used to sail the North Atlantic Liverpool, Greenock Montreal route.

I know for a fact as I sailed on her sister ship the Empress of England. Both vessels were small in comparison to the cruiseships of today. While sailing up the St Lawrence in 1959 we passed the old three stacker Empress of Scotland outbound to Greenock from Montreal and Quebec City..

These were true old ocean liners with two classes of service, first and tourist class.

I believe that the Carnivale may have been the old Empress of Canada. She was approximately 3000 tons heavier than her sailmates and could be distinguished by the louvred design on the front of her funnel...an early attempt at diverting exhaust from her stack away form the aft passenger decks. The electricity on these ships was British at 220V.

In their later years when the company was renamed CP Steamships (and this was for an abbreviated period in the annals of maritime history), the funnels were painted green and white in the logo similar to that used at one time on the orange CP Air aircraft and CP Rail freight and passenger cars. In addition there was a matching green line painted extending below the enclosed promenade deck from bow to stern.

Hope this helps a little, and...

Ciao for now!!!

Ron - it is CARNIVALE that was EMPRESS OF BRITAIN. MARDI GRAS was EMPRESS OF CANADA.

And gross tonnage is a measure of volume, not weight. (Sorry, this is a personal bugbear of mine ;) .)

For all those interested in these three ships, I highly recommend the book "The Last White Empresses", by Clive Harvey, published by Carmania Press. A bit difficult to find in the US, but it is an outstanding book, one of the best maritime books I've ever read. You can order it from the official publisher's representative in the US here.

The present (and only) Carnival logo was actually derived from the late CP Ships funnel livery. (That CP logo, incidentally, had a name - it was called the Multimark. I have never been particularly fond of it on ships, but have always liked it as a livery for aircraft. Here is a 747 called "Empress of Canada"... Yes, even CP Air's aircraft had "Empress" names! Though as a big fan of short-body DC-8s, I really like Empress of Lisbon and her sisters even more. Just beautiful...) Carnival decided to save some money by just slightly modifying the Multimark rather than creating their own logo... So it changed from two-tone green and white to red, white and blue, and the sharp point was "filed off" if you will... And voila, the Carnival logo!

Carnival is not the only modern cruise line to have gotten their start with a former CP ship... Princess did too! Actually their first ship, the small coastal steamer PRINCESS PATRICIA, wasn't a former CP ship, she was a CP ship (complete with no less than four Multimarks, one on each side of each of her two funnels). This is, in fact, where the name "Princess Cruises" came from. So to CP we owe Carnival's logo and Princess' name!

• 6 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i have always been a fan of carnival cruise lines.we went on the allure of the seas oct30,2011 it was the best cruise ever we are on cruise number 27 and after being on that ship there is nothing to look forward to out there i dont see anything that can top that that ship so anything other boat will be a downgrade:):):)

• 5 weeks later...

My first cruise was on the Carnivale in July 1987. I was 11 years old! I have so many great memories and I'm sad to find out she has been scraped. It's like a piece of my past is gone forever. I developed a love of cruising even at that young age which continues today. I sail mostly on RCCL because of my Diamond status, however, I still love Carnival.

• 2 months later...

In 1984 my second cruise was on the SS Carnivale. Accompanying me and my wife was my mother-in-law and my then 14-year old son. My first cruise was in 1982 on the Emerald Seas. My third cruise was in 1992 on the Regent Seas. ALL three of these ships have been scrapped. Makes me feel kind of old - which I am.

• 2 months later...

I too took my first cruise on the Carnivale in late 76 or early 77, when I was 16 years old. I wonder if Carnival has records of those cruises for their frequent cruiser programs? My parents took my sister and I on what was our first vacation out of the country.

I too took my first cruise on the Carnivale in late 76 or early 77, when I was 16 years old. I wonder if Carnival has records of those cruises for their frequent cruiser programs? My parents took my sister and I on what was our first vacation out of the country.

I too have wondered that. Please post if you find out

From what I learned, if you can prove you sailed on that ship, you get the credit, meaning if you showed photos, or a receipt then you will probably get credit.

From what I learned, if you can prove you sailed on that ship, you get the credit, meaning if you showed photos, or a receipt then you will probably get credit.

A tall order after all of this time! A photo with Carnivale's name in the background - maybe. Receipt - no way!

• 4 weeks later...
There is another thread on CC somewhere (somebody better than me could find it) that traces the Carnivale all the way to scrap....yep it was scrapped a couple of years ago.:(

She became the TSS Topez and then a PeaceShip before being forced to retired in 2010 due to maritine regulations. She was actually the 2nd ship in the Carnival Fleet.

Edited by ddbaab53

My wife and I spent our honey moon on this ship in 1983. There was no where to plug in any thing electric. I think it was converted to a cruise ship from some other type of ship. I remember standing in the dining room and you could almost touch the ceiling. What ever happened to her?

This was our first cruise as well in 1983 and our 10th anniversary. I remember there were a lot of newlyweds on that trip.

• 2 months later...

:)My wife Joyce and i were on this ship for our honeymoon on September 13, 1981, we met alot of fun people but two couples that were also on their honeymoon we sat with in the dining room and from the first night we became best friends for the entire week, where ever we went we went together, i remember one guy worked for an insurance company, i think state farm, i would love to get in touch with them both. We said we would get together again for a cruise for our 25th but that never happened. If anyone sailed on that cruise ship that week and remembers my wife and i, Sal and Joyce from New Jersey send me an email at csraj81@aol.com

After 31 years i now have 5 son's and 3 grandchildren along with two wonderful daughter-in-laws so life is good!

• 1 month later...

I cruised on the SS Carnivale with my sister as a graduation gift from my parents in June of 1979 and met the cruise director, Angelo D'Amico. I met him in the disco and found that he was a wonderful dancer. Sure wish I could find him now to discuss that wonderful cruise. Does anyone know where he might be nowadays?

• 2 weeks later...

I took a cruise to Bermuda out of Norfolk VA on the "Carnivale" in 1974 or 1975. It was just a year or so after Carnival bought it from the Greek Line. And how ironic.....I also took a cruise to Bermuda out of Norfolk a year or two prior on the "Queen Anna Maria". It was the same ship! Under the Greek Line flag, it was the "QAM". Interesting to see the redesign/reconfiguring etc. when renovated by Carnival. Honestly....I liked the traditional "ocean liner" feel and decor when it was the "QAM".