Anything Montreal

sebas030

I will try to not break any rules this time.

I am a 41 years old cruise addict and I live in Montreal...I have been living here all my life.

I would love to help any cruise addict, like myself, who are coming to Montreal and give you pointers about the city.

Feel free to ask and I will try to help you have a great time.

talk to you later !!

Sebastien

(I love Montreal .I have been there 12 times ,it is a magnificient city.I envy you)

The closest full service liquor store (SAQ) is at Place d’Armes, just a couple of blocks from the Old Port. If you are satisfied with inexpensive wines you can find them at a dépanneur (convenience store) of which you can find several close to the Port.

Perfect! Thanks so much.

Traffic has grown exponentially worse since 1967 !

For a no headache experience, hire a limo at the airport...not much more expensive than a regular cab, a flat rate fee of $55 (taxi is $40).

Your hotel may have a shuttle service ! Check with them first.

Thanks for jumping in on all these questions. We arrive on a Tuesday morning, with the ship scheduled to be in port at 4 a.m. Our flight out of YUL is 11:15 a.m. When you say: “Hire a limo at the airport”, can you give a little more detail? Can I do that in advance? Are their companies you recommend? Or do we just walk outside to a ‘limo’ area, vs. a taxi area? All further guidance appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for jumping in on all these questions. We arrive on a Tuesday morning, with the ship scheduled to be in port at 4 a.m. Our flight out of YUL is 11:15 a.m. When you say: “Hire a limo at the airport”, can you give a little more detail? Can I do that in advance? Are their companies you recommend? Or do we just walk outside to a ‘limo’ area, vs. a taxi area? All further guidance appreciated!

I would love to know that too. Thanks!

I live in Montreal as well.

When you arrive at the airport, you can get a taxi or limousine at the arrivals level near the central exit located in front of the cloakroom, where a dispatcher will assist you. No reservation is required. All taxis and limos operating at the airport have specific licences to allow them to be there.

ANYONE KNOW THE DISTANCE FROM THE PORT TO THE AIRPORT. DEPARTING FROM AN OCEANIA CRUISE AND NEED TO PLAN A DEPARTURE FLIGHT TIME. ARE THERE DIFFERENT PORTS OR ALL SHIPS COME INTO SAME ONE?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP

arl_caps

It is about 30-40 mins depending on traffic

I would not book before NOON as you will have to clear US Immigration at YUL

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide

Usually the ships come into the same port area but do check when the schedule for your sailing is available

https://www.port-montreal.com/en/cruise-vessels-schedule.html

https://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-berths.html

Edited by LHT28

It is about 30-40 mins depending on traffic

I would not book before NOON as you will have to clear US Immigration at YUL

https://www.admtl.com/en/guide

Usually the ships come into the same port area but do check when the schedule for your sailing is available

https://www.port-montreal.com/en/cruise-vessels-schedule.html

https://www.port-montreal.com/en/access-to-berths.html

There’s a lot of construction so give yourself more time.

You need at least two hours at airport before flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

I have heard that Montreal is the best place to shop for clothes.

One time several years ago, I was driven past a street , going west to east, where there were lots of fashion boutiques.

It was quite a few blocks away ( perhaps south and west of ) from Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and not the side near Old Montreal. Any suggestion where I am referring to?

Appreciate suggestions for fashion shopping away from the Fairmont area ( we have been there before )

Thanks.

I have heard that Montreal is the best place to shop for clothes.

One time several years ago, I was driven past a street , going west to east, where there were lots of fashion boutiques.

It was quite a few blocks away ( perhaps south and west of ) from Fairmont Queen Elizabeth and not the side near Old Montreal. Any suggestion where I am referring to?

Appreciate suggestions for fashion shopping away from the Fairmont area ( we have been there before )

Thanks.

It sounds like St. Catherine which is the main downtown street.

Eaton Center is an indoor mall surrounded by other stores.

Made sure you exchange US funds to Canadian at a money exchange or bank , or use a credit card.

I don't think the street I was referring to was St Catheirne, as it was running from northwest to southeast.

I tried google map street view, could be Crescent street. Can anyone tell me if this is an area for boutique fashion?

It sounds like St. Catherine which is the main downtown street.

Eaton Center is an indoor mall surrounded by other stores.

Made sure you exchange US funds to Canadian at a money exchange or bank , or use a credit card

they will probably use CAD

Alberta is in Canada :D

Maybe I did not understand your post that "Alberta is in Canada". I assumed you were indicating that Montreal is in Alberta. If I was mistaken, my sincere apologies.

maybe if you read the person i quoted in my post it would help

but i will explain it for you

TAK asked about shopping they are from ALBERTA

ELLENSUNNY replied they should change USD to CAD

MOST Canadians would not exchange their USD to CAD we would just use CAD to begin with when in Canada

hope that helps

• Like 1

I will be in Montreal post cruise during Canadian Thanksgiving .

In my province of Alberta, shopping malls still open on sundays and holiday mondays.

Do Montreal shops ( for clothing ) and malls be open then?

Thanks for the link.

It is very informative, particularly the different view towards Thanksgiving in this province.

All I am looking for are shopping places for the mid days on sunday and holiday monday. Since the weather should still be nice, I prefer outdoor than the vast underground city shopping, or the traditional shopping malls.

I will be in Montreal post cruise during Canadian Thanksgiving .

In my province of Alberta, shopping malls still open on sundays and holiday mondays.

Do Montreal shops ( for clothing ) and malls be open then?

Naturally if you’re from Alberta changing currency isn’t necessary.

Thanksgiving isn’t a big deal in Montreal but I can’t say if all stores will be open. I imagine googling to see store hours would give you more info.

Crescent street is a hub for trendy restaurants and bars and some boutiques. It’s always a fun place to visit.

We'll be staying in Montreal for one night before catching a 3:30 flight out the next day. We'd like some recommendations for a hip hotel, that's close to culture and good places for bagels and smoked meats.

Oh well,

No replies, so we booked a suite in a boutique hotel. Thank goodness there are other sites out there to learn about Montreal.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

• 8 months later...
On 9/16/2018 at 12:18 PM, CineGraphic said:

We'll be staying in Montreal for one night before catching a 3:30 flight out the next day. We'd like some recommendations for a hip hotel, that's close to culture and good places for bagels and smoked meats.

Famous smoked meat is Schwartz's at 3895 St Laurent Blvd or Lester's Deli  at 1057 Bernard Ave. Locals still argue which is better... I slightly prefer Lester's personally.... Schwartz's is a constant crowd and line-up, but it's closer to the port.

Famous Bagels are found at Saint Viateur Bagel 263 Rue Saint Viateur O, Montréal, QC H2V 1Y1

and Fairmount Bagel 74 Avenue Fairmount O, Montréal, QC H2T 2M2

• Thanks 1