Tipping

kareng54

Your tour guides will happily accept USD, and will likely receive a fair amount of their tips over the tourist season in USD. No need to exchange funds if all you'd be spending the CAD on is tips. And likely, since you'll be on ship excursions, all the stops where you can buy something will also happily accept USD. Just be aware your change will likely be in CAD, so plan on bringing small bills.

Agree with both the above - while it's always, ALWAYS the most appropriate thing anywhere to tip in local currency (other than a 'banana republic' with currency in freefall!) ship excursion guides will be used to folks handing over USD and have a way to make it useful to them. Regardless of how they do it there's a monetary cost or delay or both so you should not tip at bang-on the exchange rate but pad it in the guides favour.

If you actually hand over USD at par that bumps tips by at least a quarter in real terms even allowing for the hassle of exchanging - for 'buck or two' sums that's the fair way to do it, but if you have several long excursions where you expect to hand over $10, $20 or more you could round toward the actual exchange rate. If you're going to burn through $100+ in tips, you'd be much better hitting an ATM and then handing over CAD!

In Saint John, USD is fine it is easy to deposit in the banks here. Or even more so it gets saved for shopping trips to Bangor/Calais ME or sold to friends that do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always use USD in all ports with tour leaders and drivers and they very much appreciate it.

That is in Canada and also sailing in the Caribbean.

We appreciate their efforts in leading the tours and giving us interesting information.

Unfortunately we do view others on the tour leaving the bus or vehicle without showing their appreciation.

• 2 months later...

Help I'm a Brit so I find all of this tipping stuff a minefield.

We have worked out what to do in the USA, generally leave about 20% and hopefully that's ok. (I know there are lots of stories about  mean Brits but we don't really tip over here).

However what is the going rate in Canada? And how do you hand it over without being embarrassed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sam49 said:

Help I'm a Brit so I find all of this tipping stuff a minefield.

We have worked out what to do in the USA, generally leave about 20% and hopefully that's ok. (I know there are lots of stories about  mean Brits but we don't really tip over here).

However what is the going rate in Canada? And how do you hand it over without being embarrassed?

what are you tipping ?

restaurants  it is  about 15-20%  depending on service

guides - I just give $5 pp for a 1/2 day trip  or 10 % of the tour price for full day

JMO

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2018 at 9:38 AM, julie3fan said:

Your tour guides will happily accept USD, and will likely receive a fair amount of their tips over the tourist season in USD. No need to exchange funds if all you'd be spending the CAD on is tips. And likely, since you'll be on ship excursions, all the stops where you can buy something will also happily accept USD. Just be aware your change will likely be in CAD, so plan on bringing small bills.

On exchange US $ is worth $1.32 CDN