Curious luggage question

patcacmt

I’m curious about the amount of luggage you generally see on 3-day DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral. My experience with 3-day cruises is that people travel light, often with just one small weekender-type suitcase that they take off the ship themselves at the end. Since we’re spending a week at WDW before our 3-day cruise, we will have [much] more luggage than that - gotta have room for all that shopping. :D

I’m thinking we can’t be the only ones who would look vastly “overpacked” for a 3-day mini-cruise? Do most people still take their own luggage off with them? (We won’t be).

I’m curious about the amount of luggage you generally see on 3-day DCL cruise out of Port Canaveral. My experience with 3-day cruises is that people travel light, often with just one small weekender-type suitcase that they take off the ship themselves at the end. Since we’re spending a week at WDW before our 3-day cruise, we will have [much] more luggage than that - gotta have room for all that shopping. :D

I’m thinking we can’t be the only ones who would look vastly “overpacked” for a 3-day mini-cruise? Do most people still take their own luggage off with them? (We won’t be).

I've seen rooms (at the end of the cruise) with upwards of 3-4 pieces of luggage. Sometimes even more. And other rooms with only 1 or 2.

Most people do not take their luggage off with them. Most people put their bags outside their door the last night for DCL to wrangle them off the ship into the luggage area in the terminal. Then they claim them to take through customs & immigration. But there are enough who think taking their own bags off with them will be quicker, or easier. It just makes it harder for everyone trying to get off the ship at the same time. Those elevators onboard are pretty small and 2 people with 4 pieces of luggage pretty much claims a whole elevator to themselves.

It doesn’t matter, as far as what others may think - I was just curious, given the penchant for pre- and post-WDW visits with these short cruises. I wondered if the ship disembarked quicker due to it being a short cruise with most people having minimal carry-off luggage (or not). The short Ensenada cruises were very quick due to this very reason.

And I agree with the first response, many times those who want to take their luggage with them (especially if it is a lot of luggage) can tie up the elevators and even the stairways as they await the call to disembark.

It doesn’t matter, as far as what others may think - I was just curious, given the penchant for pre- and post-WDW visits with these short cruises. I wondered if the ship disembarked quicker due to it being a short cruise with most people having minimal carry-off luggage (or not). The short Ensenada cruises were very quick due to this very reason.

And I agree with the first response, many times those who want to take their luggage with them (especially if it is a lot of luggage) can tie up the elevators and even the stairways as they await the call to disembark.

I've only done a couple of the short cruises (4 nighters), but I don't find any difference (or not much of one) between them and the long cruises as to how long it takes to debark the ship. At least not in relation to how much luggage people may or may not have.

I agree that you may see a lot of people with a lot of luggage because the 3 day cruise may be part of a longer vacation.

With that said, when we sailed on the 7 night Fantasy last November, there were more people doing self assist and hauling their own luggage than people doing regular debarkation.

My parents wanted to get off the ship early because they had a flight to catch so they did self assist. I stood with them in a long and slow line which went all the way to Animator’s Palate. I then used regular debarkation for my family 2 hours later and we literally walked right off the ship with nobody in line ahead of us or to go through customs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A large part of how long disembarkation takes also depends on the line for Customs. If there are a lot of people wanting to get off "early," whether early is defined as 7:15 self-disembarkation or 7:45 with luggage assistance, everyone gets into the same Customs line after picking out their luggage. True, some of the porters are quite good at "cutting" the line...but the right or wrong of that is a different matter. But whatever the case, the Customs line remains. Leaving the ship early is not always the same thing as being out of the terminal early.