Delta credit card benefits

meyerovb

I also have a Delta card. We only use cruise air for international one way fares, which are much better than going through the cruise line. They give me a locator number for the airline and I input my Sky Miles numb er to get the miles. On international, I believe you get one free bag on Delta.

I also have a Delta card. We only use cruise air for international one way fares, which are much better than going through the cruise line. They give me a locator number for the airline and I input my Sky Miles numb er to get the miles. On international, I believe you get one free bag on Delta.

I mean domestic, with the specific delta card I’m referring to you get a free bag on domestic flights that you usually would have to pay for one on.

When we use the delta credit card to book a flight on deltas site we get a free checked bag per person. Does this still apply if I use the delta card to pay for an air booking through air2sea? Has anyone done this?

Probably not, as the airline gets paid by the cruise line. They don't see what credit card you are using.

Probably not, as the airline gets paid by the cruise line. They don't see what credit card you are using.

I thought it was that your Delta credit card is attached to your Skymiles account. So put your Skymiles number in any booking and that's sufficient alone to get your checked bag benefits.

The credit card legal verbiage says, "Reservation must include the basic card member's SkyMiles number." Some say that means you have to make the reservation with the card; some say it means the card just needs to be linked to the SkyMiles account and that automatically makes it part of the reservation. In practice, if you show the card at check-in the fee will generally be waived for the card holder and up to 8 other persons traveling on the same itinerary.

In practice, if you show the card at check-in the fee will generally be waived for the card holder and up to 8 other persons traveling on the same itinerary.

Yes, this is what a gate agent has told me, and what has worked for me in the past. You do not need to pay for the tickets with the card in order to get the free baggage.

My experience with the card is that as long as your Amex Delta card is properly linked to your Skymiles account, you get the free bag regardless of payment option. I've had my mom buy tickets for me with one of her credit cards instead of using my Amex myself, and have still gotten the free domestic checked bag and Group 1 boarding uneventfully- the free bag option appears when I'm checking in online the day before as does the correct boarding group on the online boarding pass.

This is unlikely to change because of the sub-elite frequent flyer status level of business travelers (generally a profitable group of customers for AmEx and Delta) who want to claim the credit card benefits even when they're required by their employer to use other payment methods

This is unlikely to change because of the sub-elite frequent flyer status level of business travelers (generally a profitable group of customers for AmEx and Delta) who want to claim the credit card benefits even when they're required by their employer to use other payment methods

Actually, the airlines don't care all that much about sub-elite flyers. It's the elite, and beyond, flyers who generate the revenue for airlines and those travelers seldom have to worry about getting a free bag due to a credit card; they already get free bags as a perk of their elite/elite+ level status. Not to mention that a huge number of them never check a bag anyway; many feel that if they did that with their level of flying they would spend what amounts to multiple days/year waiting at baggage carousels.

Actually, the airlines don't care all that much about sub-elite flyers.

As individuals, not a huge impact, but when a very large company has a very large number of employees doing 5-6 business trips a year on high dollar tickets, those sub-elites are a big enough population to throw a bone to.

As individuals, not a huge impact, but when a very large company has a very large number of employees doing 5-6 business trips a year on high dollar tickets, those sub-elites are a big enough population to throw a bone to.

We'll have to agree to disagree. If those employees aren't flying enough to earn at least the lowest level of elite status with the preferred airline, they are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

• 1 month later...

I found that Delta has the lowest fare from EWR after our cruise next May, so I booked one way for both of us. While booking, the pop-up for the AMEX credit card came up. It said if I applied for a card while booking the airfare, I would get a $200 statement credit on my first statement. I jumped at that, because the air was $304 for the two of us, and that dropped my out-of-pocket to $104.

Then, I got myself one, read the fine print that said use it for "any Delta product", and went back into the reservation to buy an internet day pass for that flight. If I also get the credit, then that's $400 total.

Now, if I have to cancel, I get zero refund, but the total of $400 credit reimburses me for the airfare and internet (can be used any time up to a year, anyway), with an extra $80 credit left over.

I hope this works.

We are taking 7 sequential cruises next year for our 50th, so I'm cutting costs everywhere else I can.

• 1 month later...

From their web site:

COMMON BAGGAGE FEES

The most common fees for traveling in a domestic, Main Cabin seat are:

domestic_baggage_fee.png