Jfk>ams

martyap

I could use some advice. I need r/t non stop flights next August. I have been looking at the Delta site and although the outbound flight on 8/20 is available the return to JFK won’t be bookable for another week or so. Most of the flights are code shared with KLM.

Just out of curiosity I checked the KLM website this morning and my dates are available. Looks like the same flights, same times but with KL flight numbers instead of DL flight numbers. All of the flight times I am interested in are KLM and after adding the fare + baggage + seat selection fees the Economy fare came to $877pp.

We are Delta frequent flyer members and not KLM. Would you think it would be wise just to wait until the flights are all available on the Delta site or book now on KLM’s site.

Thanks

You can be credited in Delta skymiles when flying KLM, just enter your Skymiles number into the reservation rather than your Flying Blue number if you have one.

Whatever you do, I would personally book it as one round trip rather than two one way tickets, so either book now on KLM or wait and book it all on Delta. That way if you have to cancel or change, you are only paying penalty fees on one ticket rather than two.

Just be sure to use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees if you book directly with KLM. Even though you are being quoted prices in $US rather than Euros the transaction will still be coded as processed in The Netherlands. (Assuming they work the same as BA and the other One World alliance airlines which I discovered when I needed a one way MIA-LHR flight and the one I usually book on BA metal ticketed as AA was cheaper on the BA website--but not after the foreign transaction fee that I didn't think about until too late :mad:)

Also know that buying a KLM ticket for a KL operated flight means that you are subject to the KL fare rules, and KL policies - which include seat selection, baggage allowances, SkyTeam elite benefits and more.

Caveat emptor.

Looks like I have little choice.....whether I purchase the tickets on the Delta site or KLM site there are very few direct Delta flights JFK>AMS.............the majority are are KL flights subject to their additional charges for bags, seats, toilet paper......

Looks like I have little choice.....whether I purchase the tickets on the Delta site or KLM site there are very few direct Delta flights JFK>AMS.............the majority are are KL flights subject to their additional charges for bags, seats, toilet paper......

Actually, you have many many choices to get to AMS.

Oh, I want a non-stop. That now limits you.

Oh, I don't want to fly KLM. That limits you more.

Remember, for every requirement added, your options go down. Sometimes significantly.

Only you can determine what is acceptable for you.

Actually, you have many many choices to get to AMS.

Oh, I want a non-stop. That now limits you.

Oh, I don't want to fly KLM. That limits you more.

Remember, for every requirement added, your options go down. Sometimes significantly.

Only you can determine what is acceptable for you.

Yes we prefer non stop; we do not mind flying KLM......the times are fine and the fare is what it is. We understand our choices go down based on our criteria.......just was not sure about disadvantages booking with KLM vs waiting to book with Delta

Sent from my iPad using Forums

just was not sure about disadvantages booking with KLM vs waiting to book with Delta

You will need to compare their policies to Delta's..... baggage allowances, change fees, cancellation, seat selection, etc. and in cases where there are differences you'll need to decide what's most important to you, and weigh that relative to the price of booking via one or the other.

Just be sure to use a credit card with no foreign transaction fees if you book directly with KLM. Even though you are being quoted prices in $US rather than Euros the transaction will still be coded as processed in The Netherlands. (Assuming they work the same as BA and the other One World alliance airlines which I discovered when I needed a one way MIA-LHR flight and the one I usually book on BA metal ticketed as AA was cheaper on the BA website--but not after the foreign transaction fee that I didn't think about until too late :mad:)
Slightly OT, but I think that shouldn't have happened with BA. IIRC, the general consensus is that this was a bank processing glitch. If you buy a BA ticket originating in MIA, that should have been sold in the US and charged in the US in USD, and your bank should not have considered that to have been a foreign transaction.

Slightly OT, but I think that shouldn't have happened with BA. IIRC, the general consensus is that this was a bank processing glitch. If you buy a BA ticket originating in MIA, that should have been sold in the US and charged in the US in USD, and your bank should not have considered that to have been a foreign transaction.

Yes, I book directly with BA.com many times each year, and for US-originating journeys, I have never been charged in anything other than USD.