Luggage forwarding

FraserK

Hi

Posted this on another board but did not get any replies, so thought I would post it here. Any help would be great!

We will be travelling from UK to Perth before the cruise and would like to forward our luggage onto Sydney, so that we could pick up our "cruise" luggage before boarding. Is this "doable". It would mean storage for probably 4/5 weeks before hand.

Thanks

Kat

Let's see if we have this straight.

1) You are flying to Perth (and I assume this is Australia, not Scotland)

2) You want to take some of your luggage with you to Perth

3) You want to ship the remainder of your luggage separately to Sydney

4) You want someone to pick up the luggage in Sydney and store it for a month or so

5) You want someone to deliver that stored luggage to you at the cruise terminal in Sydney.

I would hazard a guess that this would require a freight forwarder, a customs broker, a freight storage company and a local delivery company. Or one company that would charge a significant fee.

Totally correct.

When we were touring Japan, we were able to send our luggage onto our final destination (in this case Sydney) We will be travelling for 6 weeks in total and really do not want to trail around a suitcase which will never be opened until we embark our cruise which leaves from Sydney, Just wondered if Australia offered the same kind of service.

Thanks

Kat

Totally correct.

When we were touring Japan, we were able to send our luggage onto our final destination (in this case Sydney) We will be travelling for 6 weeks in total and really do not want to trail around a suitcase which will never be opened until we embark our cruise which leaves from Sydney, Just wondered if Australia offered the same kind of service.

So....who did you ship your luggage ahead to in Japan? A hotel? And how did you ship it? i.e. did the airline do this for you or you use Fed Ex or DHL or someone like that? I would start with those answers and then contact similar parcel shipping companies and destination locations and ask them, just as you presumably did at some point on your trip to Japan. All in all though, it sounds like an expensive proposition that is likely to be full of hassles IMO.

If you can make it work with your air travel luggage allowance and if you are going to stay in a hotel in Sydney for at least one night, contact the hotel and see if they will hold the bag for you until you arrive and then bring it with you to Perth and ship it from there. That would save you a lot of customs issues, fees etc.

Let's see if we have this straight.

1) You are flying to Perth (and I assume this is Australia, not Scotland)

2) You want to take some of your luggage with you to Perth

3) You want to ship the remainder of your luggage separately to Sydney

4) You want someone to pick up the luggage in Sydney and store it for a month or so

5) You want someone to deliver that stored luggage to you at the cruise terminal in Sydney.

I would hazard a guess that this would require a freight forwarder, a customs broker, a freight storage company and a local delivery company. Or one company that would charge a significant fee.

They would just need the freight forwarded. The role of a freight forwarded is to stitch all these service providers together. Still somewhat complex and likely expensive.

The OP could ask ask the cruise line if they could ship a package to be delivered to them on the ship. I don't know a cruise line that does not pass on the opportunity to create new creative ways of charging more money.

• 2 months later...

Did you find a solution for this? We are interested in shipping luggage ahead from Melbourne to Sydney within a 8 day period.  This was very easy and inexpensive to do in Switzerland,  however the distance was much less.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:26 AM, FraserK said:

Nope we did not find a solution to our problem.  Sorry 

Pack a lot lighter?   Rely on laundry.   And don't go overboard with "stuff".  :)  

It can be done-  I did a 10 week trip-   Sept- Nov  with    ONE 25" bag and a back pack.  I am frequently gone for 8  weeks.    In my case-  6 would be a snap.  :)   

5 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

Pack a lot lighter?   Rely on laundry.   And don't go overboard with "stuff".  🙂

It can be done-  I did a 10 week trip-   Sept- Nov  with    ONE 25" bag and a back pack.  I am frequently gone for 8  weeks.    In my case-  6 would be a snap.  🙂  

Agree. I give a Packing Light class twice a year, and promote traveling with one piece of luggage (carry-on size) and one personal bag (large purse for me, backpack for hubby) on almost any trip, for many weeks. Mix and match, and layers are the key, along with re-wearing, and limiting shoes, plus some other tips.

We are planning too but for the cruise around NZ at the end my hubby wanted to take along his kilt (being Scottish!!) and it weighs 8 kilos alone. We are planning to use apartments with washing machines for some of our stays so that we can re-wear our clothes.  Just wanted to know if Australia had a forwarding on system like they have all over Japan.

Thanks

Kat

5 hours ago, FraserK said:

We are planning too but for the cruise around NZ at the end my hubby wanted to take along his kilt (being Scottish!!) and it weighs 8 kilos alone. We are planning to use apartments with washing machines for some of our stays so that we can re-wear our clothes.  Just wanted to know if Australia had a forwarding on system like they have all over Japan.

Thanks

Kat

That system in Japan was just *terrific* ! :classic_smile:

GC

7 hours ago, FraserK said:

Yes it was....business opportunity for someone in Australia 😀

Of course, Japan is a much smaller country, and much of the luggage transfers were done by little (or not quite so little) trucks driving back and forth.

I don't know if they handled bags that needed to be transported to outer islands/areas?

I assume it would have cost more, but don't know.

In Norway, there was a service that did this, at least between Bergen and Oslo.  (Did they put the bags on the same direct train that many of the bag owners probably used?)  I don't know if it was more widespread there.

Does anyone know if there is such a service in Italy (or other European countries)?

Arranging such a service in a huge country - Australia/USA/etc. -  would be far more difficult (and expensive - but we'd pay for it sometimes).

GC