Tipping in Australia

Host Bonjour

In general, I would agree with you but I understand the crew on the Australian based Princess ships are paid a decent wage, unlike the other ships where the crew is paid very poorly.

That most likely depends who they are employed by. If the employer is not an Australian company, the location of the ship is irrelevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That most likely depends who they are employed by. If the employer is not an Australian company, the location of the ship is irrelevant

I was under the impression the crew of the Sea Princess was employed by Princess Australia.

Right? Wrong?

I was under the impression the crew of the Sea Princess was employed by Princess Australia.

Right? Wrong?

Sorry, don’t know - I never thought/realised they might be employing through different entities

Right? Wrong?

Probably. They are paid differently on Aussie cruises, I think - the gratuity equivalents are built in to their wages. ;p From what I've heard the crew like being on the Aussie ships as their pay is more predictable.

Right? Wrong?

My understanding is that the “base pay” is based the % of bookings that are under the “Australian Tipping Rules”, so if a local cruise was 100% booked by Americans then the base pay would be the same as a cruise in America

My understanding is that the “base pay” is based the % of bookings that are under the “Australian Tipping Rules”, so if a local cruise was 100% booked by Americans then the base pay would be the same as a cruise in America

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that the crews base pay varies based on the number of non-Australians on board, right?

Which means our tips make up the difference to what the base pay would be if 100% Australians were on board?

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that the crews base pay varies based on the number of non-Australians on board, right?

Which means our tips make up the difference to what the base pay would be if 100% Australians were on board?

That does not sound right I am afraid. Still think it depends on the employment legislation of a country where the employer company has a seat.

That’s what was explained to me, by someone I knew before they started working on Cruise ships in fact Mrs G and I had supported them when they were at a school we had some connection to in their home country, they were saving to put themself through university, said two contracts would easily support them for four years back home, so I was inclined to believe them, but no idea if they had it right or not.

That does not sound right I am afraid. Still think it depends on the employment legislation of a country where the employer company has a seat.

They're not employed under Australian legislation/awards, so it comes down to the contract the company offers and the agreement the employee signs.

It's certainly possible that it's some composite arrangement that gut mentioned, though the specifics are up to the company. They register in jurisdictions that allow for a lot of flexibility in how they structure agreements.

• 2 weeks later...
When visiting many non-tipping cultures it definitely sometimes feels awkward to simply pay only the tab for what’s owed....Continuing to insist on tipping (or expecting to pay in US dollars or whatever) only purports to shift our own burden of discomfort onto someone else.

I definitely do not feel awkward to not tip in non-tipping countries!! I feel happy to save some money!! :cool:

This comes down to an appreciation of the culture you are visiting. Yes, I am an Aussie and not used to tipping regularly at home but have no hesitation when traveling to countries where tipping is the norm.

With the reduction in penalty rates in Australia especially in the hospitality industry tipping is likely to become more of an accepted practice.

Regardless, when in Australia if I get really great service I always tip

Why do most Americans want to always do things their way? You have been told by many Australians and Expats living in Australia no tipping. That should be the end of it, not four pages of I will do it my way.

I'm in Singapore now, the taxi drivers are not tipped here, that is the way they do it. So I follow what the local culture wants done. It is called respecting the culture vs imposing your standards on others. Respect others and their country's customs or they will not respect you and your country.

This comes down to an appreciation of the culture you are visiting. Yes, I am an Aussie and not used to tipping regularly at home but have no hesitation when traveling to countries where tipping is the norm.

With the reduction in penalty rates in Australia especially in the hospitality industry tipping is likely to become more of an accepted practice.

Regardless, when in Australia if I get really great service I always tip

Of course where tipping is the norm, you should tip, and if you feel you want to tip in Aus when you get really great service, you are free to tip.

But I don't see on what basis you predict tipping becoming an accepted practice based on reduction in penalty rates????

Why do most Americans want to always do things their way?

Is it any different from Australians wanting to do things their way?

How many times have we heard an abundance of reasons of why someone doesn't want to tip overseas, right up to "The cruise is already costing a lot, and a tip will be xxx more."

Why do most Americans want to always do things their way?
Is it any different from Australians wanting to do things their way?

How many times have we heard an abundance of reasons of why someone doesn't want to tip overseas, right up to "The cruise is already costing a lot, and a tip will be xxx more."

No, but in that scenario (ie tipping is expected), this is also no different: the Australians are in the wrong. ;)