First timer Regent Cruiser Checking In

“In my opinion, it would be great is Regent would run 1 or 2 cruises during the summer without children which would give teachers and others that work with children the rest of the year to get a break.”

Wishful thinking 🤔 but that will never happen. Regent has always accommodated children as most lines do. Children are out of school during summer vacation and they certainly don’t want to leave them behind. Affluent parents with children will want that experience with their kids and family time on a luxury line. We have no problem with well behaved kids and responsible parents.

The other perspective is do not travel if you don’t like kids during holidays, but you can’t be assured even those times because home schooling enlighte of recent events in schools can cruise anytime.

Thanks Got2Cruise for taking us along on your wonderful journey! One question, when you write that you are not sure that Regent is a true luxury line, is there something specific you are referring to? We've sailed on the others (Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal) and in our experience Regent is equally luxurious if not more so.....

Thanks Got2Cruise for taking us along on your wonderful journey! One question, when you write that you are not sure that Regent is a true luxury line, is there something specific you are referring to? We've sailed on the others (Silversea, Seabourn, Crystal) and in our experience Regent is equally luxurious if not more so.....

I don’t want to give the wrong idea. It was very nice. Just little details that I imagined a luxury line would provide, such as cold wash cloths when coming back to port. Nothing drastic. The quality of the food is excellent but they only give you a choice of one red or one white each night. Unless of course you wanted a premium bottle. Just tiny things.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've never been limited to one red or one white wine each night and we have had many cruises on Regent. Generally, in my experience, they are pouring three of each although you do have to ask. Occasionally, none of the three was what my wife enjoyed and through further discussion with the sommelier (usually at a different time) we were able to find something satisfactory for my wife without going to the "premium" wines. However, we have also experienced wine stewards that had little idea of the characteristics of what was being served so it is important to reach out to the sommelier if need be. Also, it is generally a good idea to go to the wine tasting that is generally held on a sea day at around 11 AM (if one is held) since you can then taste most of the wines being served. On the other hand, we have experienced one or two cruises where the "better" wines were exhausted and the remaining non-premium wines were very much lacking.

Just stating what my experience has been but I was not on your cruise.

The quality of the food is excellent but they only give you a choice of one red or one white each night. Unless of course you wanted a premium bottle. Just tiny things.

FYI, for future reference- although they may "feature" one included red and white on the menu, that does not mean that this is all that is available. If there was a wine that you had on a previous night that you enjoyed, if you ask the sommelier, more often than not, (actually, always in our experience), you are able to have it.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your cruise, and have enjoyed following. I was happy to hear that there is more to come in your overland!

Bob

FYI, for future reference- although they may "feature" one included red and white on the menu, that does not mean that this is all that is available. If there was a wine that you had on a previous night that you enjoyed, if you ask the sommelier, more often than not, (actually, always in our experience), you are able to have it.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your cruise, and have enjoyed following. I was happy to hear that there is more to come in your overland!

Bob

Maybe this is true... but it would have been nice if the sommelier mentioned this to us on the first evening.

I've never been limited to one red or one white wine each night and we have had many cruises on Regent. Generally, in my experience, they are pouring three of each although you do have to ask. Occasionally, none of the three was what my wife enjoyed and through further discussion with the sommelier (usually at a different time) we were able to find something satisfactory for my wife without going to the "premium" wines. However, we have also experienced wine stewards that had little idea of the characteristics of what was being served so it is important to reach out to the sommelier if need be. Also, it is generally a good idea to go to the wine tasting that is generally held on a sea day at around 11 AM (if one is held) since you can then taste most of the wines being served. On the other hand, we have experienced one or two cruises where the "better" wines were exhausted and the remaining non-premium wines were very much lacking.

Just stating what my experience has been but I was not on your cruise.

Thanks for your input. There definitely were not three offered at Compass Rose to us. Prime 7 and Chartreuse we had several choices.

I don’t want to give the wrong idea. It was very nice. Just little details that I imagined a luxury line would provide, such as cold wash cloths when coming back to port. Nothing drastic. The quality of the food is excellent but they only give you a choice of one red or one white each night. Unless of course you wanted a premium bottle. Just tiny things.

Glad you enjoyed your first exposure to Regent.

Although there is a different featured white & red wine in CR each evening, we have never had any difficulty obtaining alternatives without resorting to the premium selection.

It is simply a matter of asking the Sommelier. Many of them do not offer alternatives unless guests make the request or indicate that the featured wine does not suit their taste.

We have seen cold cloths offered during and at the end of tours; normally this has been after long tours in the Far East or Middle East.

Cold cloths are sometimes offered on the Pool Deck.

Something we have learnt over our time cruising with Regent is to speak up if something is not quite right or not up to your expectations.

Most Regent staff will try to fulfil your needs if at all possible.

Hello. I’m sorry I haven’t written more about the post cruise extension. We loved the extension and it was impeccably run. It enabled us to see parts of Spain that we would have missed if we simply took the train from Barcelona to Madrid. Plus Regent hired excellent guides. We had one guide Sergio, who accompanied us from Barcelona to Madrid. We also had local guides in addition to Sergio in some of the places. The hotels chosen by Regent were all excellent in very good locations. We were picked up at our hotel in a Mercedes limo to be driven to the airport.

Don’t get me wrong about the luxury comment. We enjoyed the Regent experience very much. Hubby, who didn’t even want to go on the cruise, admitted he enjoyed it so much, he’ll do another one in a heartbeat.

I’ll be writing a formal cruise critic review and paste it here for convenience. I also never wrote about the Guest Wine expert. Tomorrow I’ll write about that. Going to post some snaps from Spain in case you haven’t seen them on social media.

We also flew Brussels Air and Iberia Air and I can highly recommend their business class products.

Please don’t hesitate to ask any question, that’s how to learn. Thanks again for all the kind comments.

You can always ask for other options and they will provide some choices. Especially if you give the sommelier an idea of what types you like. I've never been impressed with the everyday offerings just have to ask them to dig deeper:D

You can always ask for other options and they will provide some choices. Especially if you give the sommelier an idea of what types you like. I've never been impressed with the everyday offerings just have to ask them to dig deeper:D

The weird part was at the bars and lounges there was more of an assortment, you could order which ever type you wished.

The weird part was at the bars and lounges there was more of an assortment, you could order which ever type you wished.

That is weird. If you're more discerning on wine I'd suggest getting to know a sommelier in one of the restaurants and talking about your preferences. S/He can then make some suggestions and samples that will give you a "go to" list. Then ask for whatever bottles you prefer in the other restaurants.

I admit it takes a little prodding but staff is usually willing to cooperate and serve what you like.

I’m just going to add a little about the “Spotlight on Wine” aspect since this cruise was advertised as such. Almost everyday there was a choice of an included excursion that included wine tastings. We didn’t partake in these excursions but the feedback from other passengers was very positive.

Also, this sailing had a guest expert from Banfi Vintners, Lars Leicht. As mentioned in a previous post, Mr Leicht hosted dinners in the Compass Rose and provided wines from Banfi complimentary. We had the pleasure of dining with a friendly couple from Miami, and also the very cordial and helpful Food & Beverage Director Mattheus Wessels. Mattheus made suggestions as what to order from the menu based on the wines Lars was providing. Everything was delicious and we had a delightful evening of good conversation and wine.

Lars also hosted a special excursion to the Banfi Winery in Tuscany for a cooking class and tour. Walk around wine tastings and a special wine pairing luncheon were also offered for an additional fee.

I think this Spotlight on Wine is an appealing concept especially for those who have visited the Mediterranean ports previously or are just not museum people.

There is list of included wines and you can order any of them in the restaurants but need to ask. We rarely, if ever, have the two wines featured on the menu. We tend to taste the featured wines but usually end up ordering something else. In our experience, the wines in the lounges are limited.

There is list of included wines and you can order any of them in the restaurants but need to ask. We rarely, if ever, have the two wines featured on the menu. We tend to taste the featured wines but usually end up ordering something else. In our experience, the wines in the lounges are limited.

This is my point. Never were we informed there was a list of wines to chose from. Why does it have to be a big process where they force you to taste the wine? Never were we informed there is a wine menu in the Compass Rose. But now we know for next time. That’s why Cruise Critic is helpful. I’m glad I’m able to express the experience of a first time Regent Cruiser. I also think on a luxury line the sommelier should ask what you are ordering and then suggest wines that would match nicely instead of pushing the same white and same red on all patrons.

As I said previously the wine choice was handled much differently in Chartreuse and Prime 7.

This is my point. Never were we informed there was a list of wines to chose from. Why does it have to be a big process where they force you to taste the wine? Never were we informed there is a wine menu in the Compass Rose. But now we know for next time. That’s why Cruise Critic is helpful. I’m glad I’m able to express the experience of a first time Regent Cruiser. I also think on a luxury line the sommelier should ask what you are ordering and then suggest wines that would match nicely instead of pushing the same white and same red on all patrons.

In our eleven cruises on Regent, we have NEVER been forced to taste the suggested wine. If we don't like the wine variety, we just ask for something else

In our eleven cruises on Regent, we have NEVER been forced to taste the suggested wine. If we don't like the wine variety, we just ask for something else

You are suggesting that my experience is not true. I don’t appreciate your use of red ink to highlight this. I’m expressing my experience as a newbie Regent Cruiser. This is how it was for us. I don’t doubt your experience as a long time customer.

Got2Cruise, I agree with you---it's what happen during "your" cruise not some else. What I don't understand is why Regent doesn't offer the wines they have---not force what they are serving just because it's an easy way. If it's luxury, why not have a wine list of wines they will offer that night for everyone to choose from?

Enjoy reading the way you see it.

As I said previously the wine choice was handled much differently in Chartreuse and Prime 7.

Thank you for sharing your experience as a 1st time Regent cruiser. We're on our 1st Regent cruise in November and there are several things we wouldn't know if it wasn't for you, and others, sharing their experiences.

Got2Cruise - while we have not been asked to taste the wines of the day, and it should not happen, I would never question a person's experience. Most sommeliers on Regent are wonderful but there is always exceptions and you can get a bad "grape" in the bunch (my poor attempt at humor).

I have a theory about why Regent doesn't provide the included wine list to everyone. Before dinner they stock the restaurant with the wines of the day as well as wines that they know some passengers will ask for. When we ask for a special wine (included), someone has to go to the wine storage area and retrieve it. This takes time but they certainly do not mind doing it. If we do not finish the bottle of wine, and no one else orders it, they are left with a partially consumed bottle of wine.

So, if there are 30 -40 includes wines (number pulled from my head - I've seen the included wine list on a couple of cruises are there are many), and everyone had a copy of the list, Regent would have to have all 30 wines readily available (probably more that a couple bottles of each. There would be people that want to sample multiple bottles of wine and end up not wanting them.

Yes - Regent is luxury and you can get what you want but it has to make sense. To me it makes sense to let the sommelier know that you don't care for the wines of the day and let him/her find a included wine based on your tastes or what will go well with the meal that you are having.

Anyway, that is my theory and it could be completely wrong. In any case, we are always able to find a couple of wines that we like are sometimes are surprised that we do like the specials of the day.

Guys, if you go back when Bob told me we can ask for other wines I said thanks now I know. It’s was just a small blip in our wonderful vacation. Hopefully a newbie will read this and learn you should ask to see wine list. We don’t blame the sommelier or waiters at all. I’m sure it was a bean counter decision.