Inclusive Shore Excursions Auckland to Papette and Navigator vibration

Trying to decide which cruise to take. Choice is as follows-

Navigator March 17th 2020 but worried about reports of vibration, we would be in cabin 710, so forward and maybe not a concern? How about the vibration in general around the ship? I am interested in the all inclusive tours, I wonder if they are very basic? Never cruised with Regent before so it’s all rather an unknown for us. The cabins on this ship are bigger than the ones on Regatta which is a plus and they have a seperate shower.

Oceania Regatta Feb 2020 virtually same itinerary. Been on this ship before and others like it so we know what to expect. $800 on board credit on offer or 8 shore excursions. I wonder how this compares will all inclusive shore exursions on Navigator?

Oceania are discounting their deposit to 10% at the moment, Regent is 20%. This far out it’s a consideration.

I’m guessing cost wise both cruises will end up much the same once everything is taken into account.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I currently am on Navigator, and have been since June 21, in a forward cabin on deck 6. There is no vibration problem in the forward portion on the ship. That problem is limited to the aft, and I've only felt it in the aft public spaces a couple of times on this cruise. Several people I know on this cruise who are in aft cabins tell me they don't see it as a problem.

My understanding from those who've sailed both lines is that, for the most part, the included excursions on Regent are pretty much the same as the excursions that Oceania offers, only Regent tries to limit the number in each group more than Oceania does. Like any cruise line I've been on, some excursions have been great and some have been duds. Often, the pivotal factor is the guide. There are a few pay-extra excursions, which generally have even fewer people and involve some extra element. I'm on for 89 nights, and I've only signed up for 3 pay-extras. The regular excursions have taken me where I wanted to go.

No problems with Regent excursions they are usually great ,we have never had an issue with then, some better than others, read the detailed itinerary carefully- get it emailed to you in advance of choosing. They are as good as Oceania excursions. As to vibration , this is at the rear aft of the ship, no issue forward. Worst area is the theatre where the floor vibrates in places quite a bit and glasses migrate on the Little theatre tables like there is a ghost on board. However apart from the aerobic delights of this it is not an issue unless your cabin is behind the rear lifts. You will enjoy Regent, no experience of different levels of deposit.

Meant to add we have booked Payette to Lima just after this April 2020, so there is our endorsement of the ship. We are in 902 forward PH C. Our main issue with the Navigator is the lack of a forward observation lounge, which we enjoy and is our bar/lounge of choice on the other 3 ships.

The others have nailed it. The vibration is only in the back of the ship and only really felt when speed and sea conditions are right. But you are on a ship and they tend to move some. We liked the Navigator, its only problem is the lack of the forward facing lounge, but the aft lounge is nice so didn't miss it too much.

We did part of your itinerary on the 2018 world cruise and I wrote a blog with details on the excursions we did, since I could not find much about them other than the Regent write ups.

If you are interested go to my blog, click the ports that you will visit and read about our tour. Port listings are in the Archives on side of screen. Just don't do the one in Papette, it was one of the worst. A similar one in Bora Bora was great!

http://www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

We have cruised on both Oceania and Regent. I would pick the Navigator over the Regatta but if the itinerary were offered on the Riviera or Marina, I would pick either ship over the Navigator. The suites on the Navigator are much more spacious.

Agree that the excursions on Oceania are basically the same as on Regent. However, you pay an arm and a leg for some excursions on Oceania that are included on Regent. Even excursions with a cost (Regent Choice) are dramatically lower in price than Oceania. We paid $500/each for a food excursion on Oceania. The excursion was so good that we repeated it on Regent where the cost was $179/person.

The suite you are looking at should be fine. The only suites that have issues besides for the aft suites are the suites that are all the way forward. You hear the anchor going down in the morning and it is very noisy.

I agree with all the responses so far. But you don't mention what type of suite you'd book on Regatta. The standard balcony cabins on those ships are quite small. The standard balcony suite on Navigator is very nice indeed

The ship gets bouncy in heavy seas, not sure how that would compare with one of the R-ships. I've experienced Navigator when it was bouncing around, and some people found it tough to handle with regards to seasickness; not sure any R ship would be better in those circumstances. The aft of the ship definitely gets the vibration in those circumstances--I remember a presenter in the Grand Salon who could hardly stand up during his talk. But that's rare.

I have always had good luck with Regent included excursions, sprinkled with a few Choice excursions, mostly modestly-priced.

Our next two cruises are on the Navigator. We have sailed on her before. Love the ship’s small size. Very social. We always book deck nine, forward but close elevator and mid ship. PH-B. Never had any vibration problems or anything else. In rough seas, all Regent ships rock and roll. Some larger ones, as well.

We love most of the included tours. Really no complaints. But, my favorite is stilll Explorer.

Sheila

In terms of feeling the motion of the ocean on the Navigator, perhaps you should read the posts from the last world cruise as well a Navigator cruise that went from the West Coast of the U.S. to Hawaii. The movement of the ship was quite bad and many people were seasick.

Based on our experience and the comments from a Staff Captain, the most stable Regent ships at sea are (with the most stable being first):

Mariner

Explorer

Voyager

Navigator

The Navigator is a cozy ship but lacks a forward lounge and only has one specialty restaurant. The "regular" suites are very spacious (more so than the Mariner) but the PH suites are the same size as the regular suites. The only difference is that you have a butler. And, the Navigator suites are under the swimming pool which can be very noisy.

I think this information is good to know as it helps set reasonable expectations. Once you understand the Navigator, she can be a delight to sail on.

Many thanks for the replies. They are very useful. We would chose a PH suite on Regatta but they are rather small. We much prefer the PH suites on Marina. We have enjoyed Oceania’s food very much, does Regent compare well? Are you able to have the MDR dinner served in your cabin? Sometimes it’s rather nice to ‘stay in!’

I understand a small ship is best on this itinerary, and movement in high seas has never been a problem for us (yet).

Found a nice itinerary on HAL Maasdam, Auckland to San Diego which would be great but am really not too sure about that ship and level of comfort even in the best suites.

Many thanks for the replies. They are very useful. We would chose a PH suite on Regatta but they are rather small. We much prefer the PH suites on Marina. We have enjoyed Oceania’s food very much, does Regent compare well? Are you able to have the MDR dinner served in your cabin? Sometimes it’s rather nice to ‘stay in!’

I understand a small ship is best on this itinerary, and movement in high seas has never been a problem for us (yet).

Found a nice itinerary on HAL Maasdam, Auckland to San Diego which would be great but am really not too sure about that ship and level of comfort even in the best suites.

As you know, food is subjective. On our two Oceania cruises, we found the specialty restaurants equal to Regent (Jacques is better than Regent). On the other hand, we strongly dislike the quality of the food in Le Cafe (that may be the wrong name - I'm thinking abut the buffet restaurant with a lovely assortment of food that we did not care for). Regent's Compass Rose is, IOO (in our opinion) is much better than Oceania we well.