Regent or Viking Ocean?

DebsUK

Hello, looking for some opinions (which I know can be subjective). Two similar itineraries being offered by Regent and Viking from Tokyo to Vancouver. My DH have never sailed either line (previously have been on royal, princess, Norwegian, celebrity and azamara). Friends of ours who we would be travelling with are open to either cruiseline. Can anyone who has cruised both give your general observatikns or thoughts. Would be looking at a regular balcony cabin on either. Thanks in advance.

Debbie

It is really difficult to compare a premium plus cruise line with a true luxury cruise line. I agree with the last poster - if you want a choice of luxury cruise lines, look at Regent, Crystal, Siversea or Seabourn.

P.S. We did the reverse itinerary (Vancouver to Tokyo) on Silversea and it was amazing!

I think you have to look at what best serves you---the style of the ship can be important. After looking and reading I can say we booked that cruise Tokyo to Vancouver in 2019 -- we picked Regent. We haven't cruised Regent yet, but have 2

Regent cruises booked before the Tokyo. So I guess we'll know before long if we made a mistake-but I don't think so. Both lines should be good, it's just about what you think you'll enjoy. Once you make up your mind, look look back and enjoy your cruise.

Rick

I'm so curious to hear these answers! We took a Regent cruise last November, and are booked on the Viking Star in the Baltic this summer. So we haven't yet cruised on Viking Oceans. I think you might be considering the Mariner vs. the Viking Spirit. We were on the Seven Seas Explorer, but I think the design and experience on the Mariner will probably be roughly the same. I've heard the Mariner has a slightly more informal vibe, but, whatever. The Viking Spirit and the Viking Star are sisters and pretty much identical.

For what it's worth, I'll give you my reasoning on why we decided to switch lines. We loved Regent. The food and the ship are incredible. But we chose to try Viking for a number of reasons:

1. As beautiful as the Seven Seas Explorer was, the acres of marble and general design, which reminded us of a Peninsula or Four Seasons, though incredibly nice, weren't a perfect match for us. The light, clean, Scandinavian architecture on the Viking Star to us looks more to our taste. (The balcony cabins won't be as large or well appointed, but we still like the Scandinavian aesthetic.)

2. I don't think the food will be quite as gourmet as Regent, but the waffle bar sounds fun, the buffet is the buffet, and I like the fact that they offer some regional selections in the MDR dependent upon the itinerary.

3. This is itinerary specific, but their cruises in the Baltic are longer and seem more unique.

4. Supposedly better lectures, including more port specific ones.

5. For an upscale cruise line, the cost is considerably more reasonable. We weren't looking for a bargain, but we weren't looking to be overcharged either. Though I won't really know what the trade-offs are until we cruise on Viking, we were willing to sacrifice a little luxury to try a ship whose design jumped out at us. We also liked the fact that there are apparently all sorts of quiet nooks and crannies to curl up and read a book.

5. No kids under 16 allowed, but that probably won't be an issue on the cruise you're contemplating.

Of course you'll soon get far more knowledgeable answers! As I said, it will be interesting! Also, I noticed that the Regent cruise includes Tracey Arm Fjord, while the Viking does not. Though it's not a spectacular as Glacier Bay, it is something worth seeing, and I'm not sure Viking offers a similar experience. I guess it depends on how often you've visited Alaska. If you've already been, the Viking ports, however, seem far more unique.

And one other factor I just realized. Unlike the Spirit, I don't believe the Mariner has a retractable roof pool, which might be an issue if you wanted to relax on deck while crossing the Bering Sea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I LOVE the fact that children under 16 are not allowed. However, several Regent crew members and officers left Regent for Viking and most regret it. I asked a former officer of Viking (now back at Regent) if we would like Viking and he was pretty sure that we would not. Obviously, your experience may be different (hopefully). Based on having sailed on another premium-plus cruise line, it does not hold a candle to Regent. JMHO.

We have been on some of Viking's products, not Viking Sea, but they are very modern and we prefer the vibe more on Regent. I think this is a personal thing. We have been to Alaska four times on various lines, Crystal, Celebrity and Regent. I would not want to go to Alaska on a "first timer".

Jackie---

As usual, all good points. But I sincerely doubt that any cruise line employees, regardless of their work history, would ever recommend the competition to any passenger on any of their current employer's vessels.

Especially long time passengers prized for their loyalty.

I think the Viking experience will be less luxurious, but hopefully a unique and fun one!

Jackie---

As usual, all good points. But I sincerely doubt that any cruise line employees, regardless of their work history, would ever recommend the competition to any passenger on any of their current employer's vessels.

Especially long time passengers prized for their loyalty.

I think the Viking experience will be less luxurious, but hopefully a unique and fun one!

And, you also made an excellent point!

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, comparing Mariner to Viking Spirit. The retractable roof over the pool is a great option to have on Viking given the weather will not be hot. Torn.....hhmmm.

We are also booked on the Tokyo to Vancouver cruise in 2019 and look forward to meeting some cc friends on board Mariner then. But having just put the itinerary in our calendar, the first thing I note is the number of sea days: just the time when being cosseted on Mariner in all-inclusive Regent style will be bliss! An itinerary like that would not be the time I'd choose to try a different line, especially one where I would likely miss all the lovely things Regent offers.

Sailing the Baltic on a port intensive itinerary on board Viking is rather different, I think. Not only are they in 'home waters' the time on board is almost secondary to the days in port. Having said that, of three Baltic cruises with different lines, our Regent experience tops the lot.

I'm so curious to hear these answers! We took a Regent cruise last November, and are booked on the Viking Star in the Baltic this summer. So we haven't yet cruised on Viking Oceans. I think you might be considering the Mariner vs. the Viking Spirit. We were on the Seven Seas Explorer, but I think the design and experience on the Mariner will probably be roughly the same. I've heard the Mariner has a slightly more informal vibe, but, whatever. The Viking Spirit and the Viking Star are sisters and pretty much identical.

For what it's worth, I'll give you my reasoning on why we decided to switch lines. We loved Regent. The food and the ship are incredible. But we chose to try Viking for a number of reasons:

1. As beautiful as the Seven Seas Explorer was, the acres of marble and general design, which reminded us of a Peninsula or Four Seasons, though incredibly nice, weren't a perfect match for us. The light, clean, Scandinavian architecture on the Viking Star to us looks more to our taste. (The balcony cabins won't be as large or well appointed, but we still like the Scandinavian aesthetic.)

2. I don't think the food will be quite as gourmet as Regent, but the waffle bar sounds fun, the buffet is the buffet, and I like the fact that they offer some regional selections in the MDR dependent upon the itinerary.

3. This is itinerary specific, but their cruises in the Baltic are longer and seem more unique.

4. Supposedly better lectures, including more port specific ones.

5. For an upscale cruise line, the cost is considerably more reasonable. We weren't looking for a bargain, but we weren't looking to be overcharged either. Though I won't really know what the trade-offs are until we cruise on Viking, we were willing to sacrifice a little luxury to try a ship whose design jumped out at us. We also liked the fact that there are apparently all sorts of quiet nooks and crannies to curl up and read a book.

5. No kids under 16 allowed, but that probably won't be an issue on the cruise you're contemplating.

Of course you'll soon get far more knowledgeable answers! As I said, it will be interesting! Also, I noticed that the Regent cruise includes Tracey Arm Fjord, while the Viking does not. Though it's not a spectacular as Glacier Bay, it is something worth seeing, and I'm not sure Viking offers a similar experience. I guess it depends on how often you've visited Alaska. If you've already been, the Viking ports, however, seem far more unique.

And one other factor I just realized. Unlike the Spirit, I don't believe the Mariner has a retractable roof pool, which might be an issue if you wanted to relax on deck while crossing the Bering Sea.

Even though you have yet to cruise with Viking Ocean, for myself who hasn't cruised either line, this is a very helpful comparison so far.

I look forward to reading your posts during/after your Viking cruise this summer.

This may not be important to you, but Viking Sea isn't as all inclusive as Regent. I don't think that shore excursions are included on Viking and I know that alcoholic beverages are included only at lunch and dinner (Regent used to be this way, but changed to AI a good number of years ago). Viking doesn't include air.

Also, we like European River cruising and have researched all the river lines. Viking River really isn't well regarded and has a lot of "surprise" extra charges. We took a river cruise on Scenic in 2015. There was a low water problem in one segment of the river. Scenic's solution was to take us off our original ship, bus us two hours to an identical ship on the other side of the problem area, and complete the cruise.Viking's solution was to turn the remainder of the "cruise" into a bus and hotel tour (how I hate those things). Based on this experience, which I personally witnessed , I would be very hesitant to take anything branded "Viking".

I'm willing to give Viking a try this July. WE booked an upper level suite which includes all the amenities we have had on Regent.

New ship, consistently high customer satisfaction ratings.

Why not?

I will be able to compare my Regent experience, which I believe has the best luxury product, with a premium level competitor.

Also, we like European River cruising and have researched all the river lines. Viking River really isn't well regarded and has a lot of "surprise" extra charges. We took a river cruise on Scenic in 2015. There was a low water problem in one segment of the river. Scenic's solution was to take us off our original ship, bus us two hours to an identical ship on the other side of the problem area, and complete the cruise.Viking's solution was to turn the remainder of the "cruise" into a bus and hotel tour (how I hate those things). Based on this experience, which I personally witnessed , I would be very hesitant to take anything branded "Viking".

I was on Viking's Sun and Helvecia a few years ago and actually they bused us to Heidelberg and then transferred us to the identical ship as you described Scenic having done. I would not sail Viking only in the manner in which they told us of the transfer and the cruise quality was not up to my Princess Standard with respect to food quality and tour quality.

We have been on Regent and on Viking Oceans. I would go on either line again. My husband and I liked the Viking ship and yes, the décor is more Scandinavian, which we happened to like. We thought the food was quite good and Viking does a good job. Viking Oceans includes one free excursion in every port, although it is usually a walking tour or bus tour. The prices for the optional excursions are pretty reasonable. They include wine and beer with meals, but alcoholic drinks are additional. Gratuities are additional. If you have any specific questions let me know. Carol@CarolWolfe.com

Personally I am not crazy about the Regent ships (they seem tired to me), other than the new Explorer which we are anxious to try. We have it booked for 2018. We actually started cruising on Oceania (Marina/Riviera ships) and like those ships much more. Oceania is a better fit for us. We are not big drinkers. Love the cabins, and the food is incredible!

Hi Carol - apparently we disagree about which cruise lines we are most comfortable on. We sailed on Oceania's Riviera twice and, for the most part, did not care for it (beautiful ship, great service, good food in specialty restaurants but almost inedible food in The Cafe (equivalent to LV) and mediocre food - not served hot in their MDR. Also did not care for the dress code (backyard jeans and shorts is not my thing on a cruise ship) and the mob at "Happy Hour" was beyond belief.

Of the "premium" or "premium plus" cruise lines, based on reviews, I would try Azamara over Viking Ocean (based on their long time reputation) or sailing on Oceania again. Note: My DH likes Oceania but with our Seven Seas Society status on Regent, it isn't difficult to keep him loyal to "our" cruise line.

IMO, the only reason to try a premium cruise line is cost (which is a darn good reason). However, at least on Oceania, when we try to get a suite that is equal to Regent, add in the Premium Liquor Package, etc., many itineraries on Oceania are equal to or exceed Regent in terms of fare. If you do a spreadsheet with everything that Regent includes and compare that to what you pay extra for on premium cruise lines, the results can be surprising!

I'm willing to give Viking a try this July. WE booked an upper level suite which includes all the amenities we have had on Regent.

New ship, consistently high customer satisfaction ratings.

Why not?

I will be able to compare my Regent experience, which I believe has the best luxury product, with a premium level competitor.

I'll be interested to see how you find Viking. I'm not sure it would be a fit for me, but who knows.

You asked, "Why not?" For me, the answer to that question is "Limited vacation time and finite budget." I don't have the days or dollars to take a cruise I may not enjoy as much. It takes more than new ships and high ratings to earn my vacation money. I'd equate it to buying a car...you can buy a new Toyota or a year old Lexus - they both get good ratings but I'd be more comfortable in the Lexus. Maybe that's why I enjoy Regent so much - it's my 'comfort zone'.

Hi Carol - apparently we disagree about which cruise lines we are most comfortable on. We sailed on Oceania's Riviera twice and, for the most part, did not care for it (beautiful ship, great service, good food in specialty restaurants but almost inedible food in The Cafe (equivalent to LV) and mediocre food - not served hot in their MDR. Also did not care for the dress code (backyard jeans and shorts is not my thing on a cruise ship) and the mob at "Happy Hour" was beyond belief.

Of the "premium" or "premium plus" cruise lines, based on reviews, I would try Azamara over Viking Ocean (based on their long time reputation) or sailing on Oceania again. Note: My DH likes Oceania but with our Seven Seas Society status on Regent, it isn't difficult to keep him loyal to "our" cruise line.

IMO, the only reason to try a premium cruise line is cost (which is a darn good reason). However, at least on Oceania, when we try to get a suite that is equal to Regent, add in the Premium Liquor Package, etc., many itineraries on Oceania are equal to or exceed Regent in terms of fare. If you do a spreadsheet with everything that Regent includes and compare that to what you pay extra for on premium cruise lines, the results can be surprising!

Hi Jackie,

We have been on the Oceania Marina three times and will be again in August. We have never been on the Riviera, the sister ship, but they are supposedly identical. We are not big fans of the main dining room on Oceania or Regent but found the specialty restaurants on the Marina to be outstanding, and better than on Regent. Of course we have not been on the Explorer yet and looking forward to that. And we love the Terrace Cafe on the Marina, where we can get grilled lobster tails, prawns, lamb chops, and sushi and dine alfresco. We did not find it to be inedible (in fact quite the opposite) and never noticed mobs. The dress code on both Regent and Oceania are the same. I did not notice backyard jeans or shorts and never made it to Happy Hour. We happen to like Viking, and would probably not go on Azamara...although I know they have a good reputation, we just don't like the cabins, at least the photos of the cabins. We enjoyed the cabins on Viking....first cruise in a Penthouse Veranda and last one we were in the Explorer Suite. We love the Penthouse Suites on Oceania better than the suites on the Mariner and Voyager. One reason we like Oceania more than Regent is because we like to do private excursions with small groups and would rather not pay for the included excursions. That is why for us Oceania is a better choice....food is much better, choice of independent excursions, and we are not big drinkers.

All of these discussions just prove to me that ther is no such thing as the 'perfect cruise line'. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we're lucky to have the choices we have.

Very well said!

I'll be interested to see how you find Viking. I'm not sure it would be a fit for me, but who knows.

You asked, "Why not?" For me, the answer to that question is "Limited vacation time and finite budget." I don't have the days or dollars to take a cruise I may not enjoy as much. It takes more than new ships and high ratings to earn my vacation money. I'd equate it to buying a car...you can buy a new Toyota or a year old Lexus - they both get good ratings but I'd be more comfortable in the Lexus. Maybe that's why I enjoy Regent so much - it's my 'comfort zone'.

Well I have to agree with you, however upon visually viewing the rooms and physical attributes of the Viking ships I'm pretty sure we won't feel like we are in a Toyota.

These ships don't appear to have the luxury feeling of Explorer, but they appear to be on par or better than the older ships.

I'll find out in 68 days if my assumptions are correct, or not.

Well I have to agree with you, however upon visually viewing the rooms and physical attributes of the Viking ships I'm pretty sure we won't feel like we are in a Toyota.

These ships don't appear to have the luxury feeling of Explorer, but they appear to be on par or better than the older ships.

I'll find out in 68 days if my assumptions are correct, or not.

Well please let us know - I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What concerns me about Viking (other than they are less inclusive than lines like Regent) is the service (or lack thereof) that I observed Viking giving its guests on a river cruise, while we were on another line (Scenic). At that time there were many river ships on the Rhine, and there was low water. There was a segment where water was too low for the river ships. Scenic asked its guests to pack up and take a two hour bus ride to the other side of this river segment where an identical river ship was waiting to give guests identical rooms for the remainder of the cruise. Viking, on the other hand, turned the rest of the itenerary into a "bus and hotel" tour (I hate those things). After witnessing that event, I am very hesitant to good Viking for any sort of cruise.

We have also looked at Viking ocean cruises but decided in the end that we didn't care that much for the decor of the ships. On the other hand, we really like what we saw on Regent Explorer and booked it. I feel one needs to book what one feels the most comfortable with. Just wouldn't have felt comfortable on Viking.

Regarding the Oceania Rivera, that was my first cruise away from Princess and we were extremely disappointed. Yes, the ship was lovely and the room very adequate but the food and overall cruise was poor. Of course it didn't help that this was one of the trips that had the norovirus. The food began to taste like disinfectant, not very appealing. We probably would have overlooked everything and sail Oceania again but will not because of the way Oceania handled the entire situation.

Hi Jackie,

We have been on the Oceania Marina three times and will be again in August. We have never been on the Riviera, the sister ship, but they are supposedly identical. We are not big fans of the main dining room on Oceania or Regent but found the specialty restaurants on the Marina to be outstanding, and better than on Regent. Of course we have not been on the Explorer yet and looking forward to that. And we love the Terrace Cafe on the Marina, where we can get grilled lobster tails, prawns, lamb chops, and sushi and dine alfresco. We did not find it to be inedible (in fact quite the opposite) and never noticed mobs. The dress code on both Regent and Oceania are the same. I did not notice backyard jeans or shorts and never made it to Happy Hour. We happen to like Viking, and would probably not go on Azamara...although I know they have a good reputation, we just don't like the cabins, at least the photos of the cabins. We enjoyed the cabins on Viking....first cruise in a Penthouse Veranda and last one we were in the Explorer Suite. We love the Penthouse Suites on Oceania better than the suites on the Mariner and Voyager. One reason we like Oceania more than Regent is because we like to do private excursions with small groups and would rather not pay for the included excursions. That is why for us Oceania is a better choice....food is much better, choice of independent excursions, and we are not big drinkers.

Carol, our experiences have apparently been different which is okay. I certainly agree with you about the PH suite on the Explorer vs. Oceania. Not sure what Regent was thinking when they built the PH suites (although we love the suites and the Seven Seas Suites on Explorer.

The dress code on Oceania in the Terrace Café at night incudes shorts, jeans or whatever. After dinner the passengers don't change and are walking around in shorts and jeans. I saw one man in overalls - the kind you would wear in the backyard or workshop - and several people in shorts. We just prefer long pants on men (and women) at night.

Terrace Café is a long story that I won't go into here. While food is subjective, a couple of things happened in the Terrace Café which left me not wanting to return. If I could eat in Jacques almost every night I'd be happy.

Based on reviews that I've read, Oceania is the best premium-plus cruise line out there. Their competition seems to be more Azamara (agree about suite sizes - they are the same ships - with different décor - as Oceania's small ships) than Viking Ocean.

Back to Viking Ocean and Regent, it appears that the biggest cost difference is included airfare - a big price item. Although Viking doesn't include as many excursions as Regent, IMO, it isn't a big deal. If you have to pay for your excursions, it probably would not come anywhere near the cost of a round-trip business class international flight which Regent includes.