Man Overboard

"A rescue mission is underway for an elderly man that went overboard on a cruise ship bound for Victoria Tuesday morning.

The United States Coast Guard Pacific Northwest said on Twitter the Captain of the Seven Seas Mariner confirmed a ship video showed the 73-year-old man jumped from a balcony on the eighth deck of the vessel around 4:15 a.m.

The ship was off Cape Flattery on the northwest tip of Washington at the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca when the incident occurred.

The coast guard says the man’s wife last saw him around 4 a.m., saying she was woken up around 4:30 a.m. by a breeze coming from the balcony door that was cracked open.

The Coast Guard’s 13th District in Seattle expects the rescue mission to be for most of the day.

The U.S. Coast Guard has one ship, the Cutter Wahoo from Station Neah Bay, and an air crew from Port Angeles responding.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria says it is assisting with air assets.

The Seven Seas Mariner was scheduled to arrive at Ogden Point at 1:00 p.m., but is now scheduled for an 11 a.m. arrival."

We are on that ship. Captain announced at 9 a.m. that there was a man overboard and that is why we are circling instead of proceeding forward.

Helicopters are circling.

Some people heard an announcement at 5 a.m. requesting that a passenger from room xxxx call a phone extension because family was looking for him. That was only broadcast in public areas not into staterooms and I slept through it.

Very sad.

"A rescue mission is underway for an elderly man that went overboard on a cruise ship bound for Victoria Tuesday morning.

The United States Coast Guard Pacific Northwest said on Twitter the Captain of the Seven Seas Mariner confirmed a ship video showed the 73-year-old man jumped from a balcony on the eighth deck of the vessel around 4:15 a.m.

The ship was off Cape Flattery on the northwest tip of Washington at the mouth of the Strait of Juan de Fuca when the incident occurred.

The coast guard says the man’s wife last saw him around 4 a.m., saying she was woken up around 4:30 a.m. by a breeze coming from the balcony door that was cracked open.

The Coast Guard’s 13th District in Seattle expects the rescue mission to be for most of the day.

The U.S. Coast Guard has one ship, the Cutter Wahoo from Station Neah Bay, and an air crew from Port Angeles responding.

The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Victoria says it is assisting with air assets.

The Seven Seas Mariner was scheduled to arrive at Ogden Point at 1:00 p.m., but is now scheduled for an 11 a.m. arrival."

The first plan was to bring the ship into port in Victoria, BC at 11am rather than the scheduled 1pm arrival time. We live just up the street from the port and she has not yet arrived. From the online ship tracker it looks like the Mariner is continuing to circle in the search area.

If anyone is onboard and has any updates they will be appreciated. Our thoughts are with this gentleman's family and the crew. It will be a difficult time for all of them.

Sad ending.

“United States Coast Guard says the 73-year-old man who went overboard off a cruise ship headed for Victoria is dead. A U.S. Coast Guard helicopter rescue crew recovered the unresponsive elderly man and transported him to hospital before he was pronounced as deceased.”

Oh this is so sad. I know everyone on the ship is upset. I am sure the guests and crew are comforting his wife. This seems to be happening often on mass market lines and not luxury lines. Anyway, may God bless his family and give them strength.

We are on the ship. Saw the USCG pull up the body about 2-3 miles of the Port side of the ship at 10:40 ish this morning. We kept in the search and rescue loop for about an hour and a half before we continued on. Capt. says we are going to Victoria to pick up the pilot and heading on to Vancouver. Never been on a ship with a MOB. We all wonder what the story is. Not much information to be had due to the obvious privacy issues.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Horrible for everyone onboard, let alone his family. Suicide, if that's what it was, is an awful thing to do to the people around you, but I understand why some feel it's the only way out.

Yes - the situation was definitely horrible which is made worse by the media. On the news last night they stated that they are investigating what made him "fall" overboard. This is not the information that we have from the ship and "cruise mapper". Hope that the family is not following the news and hearing this. This is so traumatic that they need to be comforted - not listening to or watching what, according to video footage, is fake news.

Yes - the situation was definitely horrible which is made worse by the media. On the news last night they stated that they are investigating what made him "fall" overboard. This is not the information that we have from the ship and "cruise mapper". Hope that the family is not following the news and hearing this. This is so traumatic that they need to be comforted - not listening to or watching what, according to video footage, is fake news.

According to a tweet from the US Coast Guard:

"UPDATE** In previous post, the word "jump" was used, however we have NO indication of why the individual went overboard. Investigation will help determine what happened. Again, we have NO CLEAR info on what lead to him going overboard; crews actively searching at this time."

There will be a full investigation - was the individual on mediation, did he have a medical history that caused confusion/hallucinations - before people start screaming "fake news", maybe they should wait for all of the facts.

And, according to Cruise Mapper:

"On July 10, 2018, a male passenger was reported missing and overboard while the ship was en-route from Victoria BC to Vancouver (Canada), north of Cape Flattery (USA's northwesternmost point, on Olympic Peninsula).

The reviewed CCTV video footage showed the man jumping from cabin balcony (on Deck 8) into the sea at 4:15 am. AIS tracking data showed the ship turning around and circling in the area in search for the missing passenger.

The incident occurred during 11-day Alaskan cruise (itinerary June 30 - July 11, themed "Red, White and Blue Frontier") roundtrip from homeport Vancouver to Ketchikan, Wrangell, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, Prince Rupert, and Victoria BC."

There is a huge difference between "jumping" and "falling". One would assume that the video footage is correct. Certainly an investigation will be done to see if he was under the influence of anything but the "falling" vs. "jumping" should be very clear.

In any case, this is a traumatic situation for his wife and family and anything other than facts should likely not be broadcast on national news. Obviously, this is my opinion.

I know all of us have our prayers out to the family. One word of warning and I speak from personal experience, do not take Ambien with alcohol or at least wait two hours and abstain from booze. I’m not saying this was the case here. You can sleep walk with the combination of alcohol and Ambien and in my case doing such a thing not knowing I ended up sleeping in a chair with hummus and pita chips on my front porch and was found by my neighbor walking his dog. I didn’t remember a dam thing as we went to bed early and my spouse was still asleep. I called my doctor and she said NO Drinking with this sleep medicine.

I forgot what state it happened a woman shot her husband while they were sleeping and she did not remember it as she was under the influence of Ambien. The court exonerated her as it is proven this drug is a dangerous mix with alcohol.

I immediately stoped taking it after my incident. Again, not saying this was the case here. It could have been anything. Still very sad.

This is an awful occurrence and IMO armchair speculation about what may or may not have happened, or what is "fake" news is inappropriate. As we sit here none of us know what took place or who the gentleman was. What if it was someone one of us knew or met onboard?

His wife and family deserve only respect and condolences from us on CC.

Absolutely this should be investigated to determine if an actual suicide, or an unfortunate horrible mix of drugs and alcohol in which the person had no intention of suicide. The family needs to understand what happened surrounding the death.

I wasn't going to post on this but I have to agree with LoonCall and Mikenbob on this. I think it's time to close this thread and let the family have the time they need and the investigation team do their work. Reading this thread doesn't help anyone----I mean someone said that this doesn't happen on Luxury lines as much as Mass Marketing lines--how does that help anyone.

I wasn't going to post on this but I have to agree with LoonCall and Mikenbob on this. I think it's time to close this thread and let the family have the time they need and the investigation team do their work. Reading this thread doesn't help anyone.....

It is a bit difficult to understand how debating on a message board about someone's death is comforting to anyone. All of the posts on this thread are public information which may be viewed by the media and the family either now or at some point in time. I agree with mikenbob and ronrick that it is time to shut this down.