Air from Newark when cruise ends in NY

woogie

Be forewarned that in NYC, Uber is often more expensive that a typical yellow cab. And with the recently enacted surcharge, more expensive than before!

The ride to Newark airport is a short distance. Depending on the time of year and day of week, the ride time can vary significantly.

Although we travel often back and forth between NYC and Newark Airport via UberX, one thing to keep in mind is that often the standard UberX cars are on the small side and may not be able to accommodate all your cruise luggage. In that case you may need to select Uber XL (for an SUV) or Uber Black (high-end limousine vehicles). Both good options, but they will add considerably to the charge. You may do better locking in a reserved rate with a local limo company (i.e., Carmel)

There is actually no surcharge for taxis to cross into NJ. There is a surcharge to STAY in NYC (it is an MTA surcharge to supposedly encourage mass transit).

The surcharge you may have experienced going to Newark Airport is a Newark Airport surcharge and is only specific to a fare that begins in NYC and ends at Newark Airport.

I take yellow cabs all the time (Uber, sometimes) and find it fine and less expensive than a black car. That said, if I wanted to ensure was available at the time I designate and did not want to hail a cab, I would call a car service.

Actually this past Friday night Uber was MORE expensive than a car service (because of surge pricing).

We disembarked at the pier in NYC last October. It was a Sunday and RAINING!!! We had to drag our luggage across the street to

get a cab. No kidding! The cabs line up across the street. I would suggest you hire a care service and text them when you have your luggage in hand. Let them pick you up. It's a night mare at the NYC pier.

There is actually no surcharge for taxis to cross into NJ. There is a surcharge to STAY in NYC (it is an MTA surcharge to supposedly encourage mass transit).

The surcharge you may have experienced going to Newark Airport is a Newark Airport surcharge and is only specific to a fare that begins in NYC and ends at Newark Airport.

I take yellow cabs all the time (Uber, sometimes) and find it fine and less expensive than a black car. That said, if I wanted to ensure was available at the time I designate and did not want to hail a cab, I would call a car service.

Actually this past Friday night Uber was MORE expensive than a car service (because of surge pricing).

Since the OP is going from NYC to EWR then the surcharge does apply. Also, one thing to remember about yellow taxis over a car service or Uber is that car service and Uber is a set price while Yellow Taxis use meters which keep running even when stuck in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Since the OP is going from NYC to EWR then the surcharge does apply. Also, one thing to remember about yellow taxis over a car service or Uber is that car service and Uber is a set price while Yellow Taxis use meters which keep running even when stuck in traffic.

Uber works off a minimum base fare, plus time and distance. So a longer, but faster route will be one rate, and a shorter but slower route will be another.

Read the Uber pages which give price estimates and you will see this:

Sample Rider fares are estimates only and do not reflect variations due to discounts, traffic delays or other factors. Flat rates and minimum fares may apply. Actual Rider fares may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good point! Appreciate seeing accurate information:)

Except that Uber uses that same kind of metering approach, they just do it via GPS and computers. You're still paying time and distance, including time sitting in traffic. You just don't see it on a meter in the vehicle.

I believe LynnRuns' information was accurate. She explained that the surcharge was not because of crossing state lines, but an Airport Surcharge for traveling from NY to the airport. Of course, I'm just interpreting what I read, so I could be wrong.

I know you love to contradict everything that I seem to post, but this is not accurate information for NYC. In NYC Uber has a base price and and additive price per mile and per minute.

Except that Uber uses that same kind of metering approach, they just do it via GPS and computers. You're still paying time and distance, including time sitting in traffic. You just don't see it on a meter in the vehicle.

Thank you. This is the correct information,

I know you love to contradict everything that I seem to post, but this is not accurate information for NYC. In NYC Uber has a base price and and additive price per mile and per minute.

Yes, I have noticed that Lynn. I hope it doesn't deter you from posting. :)

Unfortunately it has as it has done for many others who like me only read the boards and rarely want to post. It is too enervating.

What a shame. I have always found your posts to be very intelligent and full of good information.

:(

Uber works off a minimum base fare, plus time and distance. So a longer, but faster route will be one rate, and a shorter but slower route will be another.

Read the Uber pages which give price estimates and you will see this:

Sample Rider fares are estimates only and do not reflect variations due to discounts, traffic delays or other factors. Flat rates and minimum fares may apply. Actual Rider fares may vary.

Hmmm. I have never been charged over what was quoted to me by Uber. Once they give you the price and you accept that has been it.

Never happened to us. We’ve used it in NY where we live and also London. London was last year and I know they passed a law since then banning Uber in London.

I know in NYC Uber is killing the Medallion Cab Drivers. The Medallion is only worth a fraction of what they paid for it. It’s a big problem.

Never happened to us. We use Uber frequently. Not trying to argue.

Once you accept an Uber fare, that is that. There is no additional charge, I have done this plenty of times in multiple countries, no problem.

Once again, I agree with you and the last few posters. Not sure why they is disagreement on this topic but most of us are in agreement.

A couple of things to be aware of:

1) if you are arriving on a weekday and since your flight is not until 2:30pm, I would suggest that you get off the ship with the last group of passengers. The ship terminal is located right off the West Side Highway, a major thoroughfare in NYC and used by commuters to travel from the suburbs into the city and down to midtown and the financial district (Wall Street) so hopefully the later you leave, the less traffic you will encounter. The pier is very close to the Lincoln Tunnel and from there it is a straight ride down the NJ Turnpike to the airport. On a normal traffic day (if there is such a thing in NYC), from the tunnel to the airport should take about 30 minutes.

2) The official taxi rank is across the street from the terminal and if you have more than one piece of luggage per person, it can be difficult to get to - however, again, this depends on the time you are disembarking, but a hint is to use the elevator in the terminal and go up to arrivals and hail a taxi after they have just dropped off a passenger

3) WARNING - NEVER accept a ride from anyone walking around offering taxi rides - these are gypsy cabs and will end up charging you much more than any other option

4) Many of the private black car services have coupons/discounts either on their websites or some other NYC tourist website

5) If you decide to use Uber, you might want to consider ordering it for arrival at a specific time. Lately it has been more difficult to get Uber rides when needed - two weeks ago we tried to get an Uber on a Friday morning to go to LGA and the wait was 45 minutes, something we are not accustomed to! As someone in NYC is relies on Uber, I have never paid more than the quoted price on the app, even if stuck in traffic

6) something else you might want to consider - if there is a roll call for your cruise, you might want to see if there is anyone else in need to transport to EWR and arrange for a large SUV/stretch limo to pick you up directly from the terminal

7) if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me - I live within walking distance of the terminal (well, walking distance for people who live in the city and realize that there are times when walking is the fastest way to get from point A to point B) and know the area very well.

Safe travels

gnomie :)

After reading all of the above, I agree with whomever suggested that you book a shuttle (private or otherwise) to get you to the airport in New Jersey. You can certainly see if another couple on your Roll Call wants to join you but this seems like the easiest way to get to your destination. IMO, dealing with taxi's or Uber can be more trouble than it is worth (waiting to disembark, having to shlep your luggage to where the taxi's are waiting, etc.). You will have just gotten off of a luxury cruise ship and it is nice to continue the luxury feeling ...... at least until you to the airport:D