Reliability of Road Travel to Dover

tring

We have just booked a 7 night cruise sailing from Dover on Sunday 31st March next year. We have had issues with travel to Dover, but not been there in the last couple of years, so could do with an update if a kind person could advise. Easter Sunday is the 21st April, so no problems there, but we are due to leave the EU at 11pm on the 29th March, so I am a bit wary of travelling to Dover a day or two after that in case of port delays. We would also need a hotel for the pre cruise night somewhere nearby as we live about 300 miles from Dover.

Our first thoughts were to drive down and stay in a hotel near Chatham which we had used a number of times around the 1990's era, but staying nearer to the port could feel more reassuring. Does anyone know the roads near Dover well enough to give me an idea of how the traffic moves now in that part of the world?

We could get the train to Dover and stay in a hotel in Dover if that is advisable, though we are a bit wary of that as we went down by train a couple of years ago, had a really bad journey and found our sea view room in the Best Western very noisy throughout the night as constant traffic was wizzing along the sea front to the port (presumably to skip the traffic jam in the road at the back of that hotel). The hotel windows are not double glazed and were in very poor condition, so the noise was very loud, even with the windows closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I drive down to Folkestone/Dover from north west England several times a year and I usually find the traffic is fine, although I'm always driving midweek. Of course it does depend on if there have been any accidents or if the Channel Tunnel is fully operational with no delays. Last time I did the trip there were indeed problems with Eurotunnel and the M20 traffic was backed up to Maidstone because of a couple of breakdowns on the motorway in addition. That portion of the drive usually takes 30 minutes but it took about an hour.

In addition, as you pointed out, we are leaving the EU on 29 March and there's so much confusion around that process I don't think any of us can guess what the situation will be like at UK borders at that time.

I've stayed at the Premier Inn Folkestone Channel Tunnel many times. Despite the name it's not actually on the Eurotunnel terminal grounds, it's in a residential area nearby. I'm noise sensitive but I've slept well each time I've stayed there, with one exception a couple of summers ago when the room was far too hot but that shouldn't be a problem in March. It's about 10 miles to Dover, close enough to feel that you don't have another long drive ahead next morning, far enough away to escape the hustle and bustle.

Prices are hugely variable, I've always found the lowest room rates when I book it well in advance.

I think you are correct to be as concerned re dates after 290319, as the fear is that Kent could go from being the 'garden of England ' to the car park of England after Brexit.

Dover is always busy just a small increase in delay, could cause a massive snarl up.

Hopefully somebody will see sense before this and end this Brexit idea before we go down the pan.

Thanks for the replies.

Must admit I am not a fan of brexit, but feel the issues are more to do with how it has (or hasn't) been handled. The right wingers clearly do not really want a deal - investments much more important to them than the British people. I am hoping that the transition period would prevent mayhem next March, but we will see.

Thanks for the suggestion of the hotel Isklaar, looked on TA and seems a possibility. A good night's sleep is always welcome and it is great to have advice from a regular traveller. We do not seem to have the same big news reports regards Dover as we did a few years ago, but maybe it just 'isn't news no more', but at least it will not be a main holiday period. We did vow never to do a cruise from Dover again after last time - but if there is a decent looking holiday going at a fair price, I am easily swayed. :)

I live near Dover, and as everyone has been saying, who knows what will happen after Brexit. Usually, in March, the traffic should be fine unless there is bad weather which prohibits the ferries running or the Channel Tunnel has problems. I would recommend you drive down at least a day earlier and, if you want quiet, why not stay in one of the lovely villages just outside of Dover? Dover is being regenerated at the moment so loads of construction work going on (not sure when that'll be finished). Places like St Margaret's, Ringwould, Lydden etc. Should be pretty quiet that time of year.

I live near Dover, and as everyone has been saying, who knows what will happen after Brexit. Usually, in March, the traffic should be fine unless there is bad weather which prohibits the ferries running or the Channel Tunnel has problems. I would recommend you drive down at least a day earlier and, if you want quiet, why not stay in one of the lovely villages just outside of Dover? Dover is being regenerated at the moment so loads of construction work going on (not sure when that'll be finished). Places like St Margaret's, Ringwould, Lydden etc. Should be pretty quiet that time of year.

Great information, thank you very much. A village stop sounds a really good idea - will look into that. We would normally arrive late in the day to check into a hotel after travelling that far, but we could stay for two days and see those cliffs from the top as well as from the sea,

Barbara