Age and solo crusing

travelchick989

Hey everyone,

I just got back from a great cruise and perhaps Im already having withdrawal lol but I would love to book another. I'm 27 years old (yet I look maybe 18-22) and I just dont have a lot of people who would be down for cruising with me. I feel like if I was older I would look older for one, and have more confidence. I'm just curious what is the age range of those of you that travel solo? And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone? I like to have fun and its always nice when you have a good circle of people that you know. I've never done a solo cruise before but I've been pondering about it! Maybe for my 30th I will have more courage! ;p

I'm 30 now, and took my first solo cruise when I was 27. I was on NCL Breakaway, so my experience is from a ship that caters (in some ways) to solo travelers. They had meet and greets scheduled each day, which was better attended early in the week, and was a good way to meet other solos. You're also not limited to just meeting other solo travelers, that's the great thing! I've sailed with groups of friends before, but you don't want to spending every waking minute with the same people, so we would strike out and meet other people too. If anything, you're better positioned to meet people because everyone is in vacation mode, which in my experience makes most people more outgoing and willing to chat with a stranger.

My first solo cruise was when I was 31. Although I do cruise with my young man on occasion, I have to admit that the majority of the time finds me taking off on my own and preferring it. It's wonderful being able to do exactly what you want to do, how and when you want to do it, without having to compromise. It's deliciously self-indulgent!

Bechi

I took my first solo cruise when I was 50 years old. It was my 3rd cruise overall. I think one of the reasons there aren't more young solo cruisers is the price. It almost always costs more to sail solo, so it becomes more cost prohibitive for the 20 or 30 something cruiser.

Roz

When I did my first solo I was in my 30's and now I am in my 60's. I enjoyed it then when I was younger and enjoy it now that I am older. Things change over time, I don't have as much fun (partying) as I used to, but now I find that I am able to just relax and enjoy things more. I love the solo experience as you can do what you want when you want. Happy sailing.

I took my first solo cruise when I was 50 years old. It was my 3rd cruise overall. I think one of the reasons there aren't more young solo cruisers is the price. It almost always costs more to sail solo, so it becomes more cost prohibitive for the 20 or 30 something cruiser.

Roz

I agree. Its so expensive! I wish they did have more deals for solo travelers. But its all about $$$.

And @Travelnap I still like to "party" so to speak. Thats the only thing, I recently went on a cruise and sometimes if my friend didnt want to party I would sit off to the side and kinda people watch. I really enjoy being surrounded by good company at the same time I like having time to myself.

Hey everyone,

I just got back from a great cruise and perhaps Im already having withdrawal lol but I would love to book another. I'm 27 years old (yet I look maybe 18-22) and I just dont have a lot of people who would be down for cruising with me. I feel like if I was older I would look older for one, and have more confidence. I'm just curious what is the age range of those of you that travel solo? And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone? I like to have fun and its always nice when you have a good circle of people that you know. I've never done a solo cruise before but I've been pondering about it! Maybe for my 30th I will have more courage! ;p

Hi Travelchick!

I'm 26 years old and I will be 27 when I will do my first solo cruise! People also think I'm a lot younger!! Some people think I'm still in High School :')

Anyway: I can't speak from experience yet, but if you have the money and time: please try it! From what I've heard it's an amazing experience. Even though you might look younger and most solo travellers are older in fact, I don't think it matters! Age truly is just a number and when you book a cruise which you will like, other people will share at least some of your interests :)

But I would maybe recommend to go on a cruise that offers special gatherings and stuff for solo's! For me at least (I'm going on the Norwegian Epic) it helps to know that there is a solo lounge and if I want I could join other solo travellers for dinner or activities!

Good luck with your decision on which cruise you are going ;) lol :)

I would suggest scheduling during the shoulder season's after the families and kids are back in school. Price drops significantly and I personally know a lot of single cruisers who generally cruise as soon as the kids are back in school. Might be different school calendars in different departure ports depending on the state

I would suggest scheduling during the shoulder season's after the families and kids are back in school. Price drops significantly and I personally know a lot of single cruisers who generally cruise as soon as the kids are back in school. Might be different school calendars in different departure ports depending on the state

ahh good idea. However that does mean traveling to another state to get my cruise of course. I've been spoiled since I was able to get on my cruise from NY since I live in the city. And I'm a teacher so I know i'll see the kids when im off. I thought about cruising during the holiday/spring breaks but I hear its a lot of kids too.

ahh good idea. However that does mean traveling to another state to get my cruise of course. I've been spoiled since I was able to get on my cruise from NY since I live in the city. And I'm a teacher so I know i'll see the kids when im off. I thought about cruising during the holiday/spring breaks but I hear its a lot of kids too.

Unless I'm reading this as you moved out of NY, you can get on a cruise from Manhattan year-round, as NCL has ships departing from there year-round. I've done the Bermuda itinerary in July and the Bahamas in February, both solo and out of NYC.

As for the crowds of kids, it's not as bad during the summer, compared to February/April/Christmas vacations. Since it's a 3 month period, there are a lot of families, but also a lot of 20s/30s who have time off as well. And with the Breakaway/Epic Class ships, the studios help keep the price down for solo cruisers, with the added benefit of rooms that, while well appointed, encourage you to spend your time elsewhere on the ship.

I am 51 and i am terminally single (LOL) I have been on about 4 or 5 cruises alone, but I also enjoy the company of others and have had great luck in the past of meeting up with other singles through the ships roll calls and had a great time and made new life time friends, some of which I have cruised with again. However My last cruise was a bust...roll call was kinda of a dud and really never connected with anyone, also instead of being seated with a large group in MDR I was at a 4 top with one couple, nice people, but older. That was a truly singles/solo cruise, I really did not enjoy myself as I had in the past...so sometimes it can be hit or miss.

Unless I'm reading this as you moved out of NY, you can get on a cruise from Manhattan year-round, as NCL has ships departing from there year-round. I've done the Bermuda itinerary in July and the Bahamas in February, both solo and out of NYC.

As for the crowds of kids, it's not as bad during the summer, compared to February/April/Christmas vacations. Since it's a 3 month period, there are a lot of families, but also a lot of 20s/30s who have time off as well. And with the Breakaway/Epic Class ships, the studios help keep the price down for solo cruisers, with the added benefit of rooms that, while well appointed, encourage you to spend your time elsewhere on the ship.

I'm from the city and still live in the city! :D Thats one of the perks I liked about that ship leaving from NY since I don't have to buy a plane ticket and im literally 10 mins away from the port by taxi. Yea I've thought about maybe cruising during the school year with the school holidays but idk yet :P still pondering that idea.*highly unlikely* lol I feel like i'd rather cruise next time in mid August instead of July.

I am 51 and i am terminally single (LOL) I have been on about 4 or 5 cruises alone, but I also enjoy the company of others and have had great luck in the past of meeting up with other singles through the ships roll calls and had a great time and made new life time friends, some of which I have cruised with again. However My last cruise was a bust...roll call was kinda of a dud and really never connected with anyone, also instead of being seated with a large group in MDR I was at a 4 top with one couple, nice people, but older. That was a truly singles/solo cruise, I really did not enjoy myself as I had in the past...so sometimes it can be hit or miss.

:') :')terminally single lol. What cruise did you cruise on last year? If I were to cruise next year solo I would skip out of the MDR and just eat at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel like I may get the stare and the "oh are you alone" lol. I hope it would turn out ok if I were to cruise solo. I also feel like NCL is the line I would prefer to stick with one because I'm familiar and two they seem cater to more solo cruisers with meet-ups and such.

TravelChick.... You would like the NCL ships with studio cabins, and the studio lounge. Lots of people to meet. I learned from another cruiser that you can book NCL cruises with Solo discounts, as these will have a lot of solo travelers onboard. She said there were 50 solos in her group. I am going to try this on the NCL Norwegian Gem from Manhattan to Canada ,New England, Sails Sept 30th. Hopefully a lot of Solos onboard. This ship has no studio cabins, but Solos flock to the Solo discounted tours from what I hear.

I'm 44, and although I've never cruised so yet (but plan to), I've taken multiple vacations by myself. While traveling with someone else is great when you find someone who travels like you do, there is a lot to be said about being able to do whatever you want without having to consider anyone else. It is very freeing.

IMO, the number one determinant on whether or not you'll have a good time is your own attitude (not you, specifically--the general "you" :D ). If you go into your vacation with an open mind and a willingness to put yourself out there when meeting others, you can have a ball. On the same note, if you go with the idea that you'll be miserable because you don't have someone to share everything with, you will be miserable.

Probably the only real downside to traveling alone is that, as women, we have to be a little more vigilant and safety conscious. For instance, not putting ourselves in dangerous situations, not drinking ourselves to the point of passing out, etc. This is all basic common sense, though. In all the time I've traveled alone (and it's been a lot), I've never had a problem, but I'm smart about how I travel as well.

Don't give up on solo traveling. If you love to travel and there is no one that can go with you, don't feel like you have to sit at home. The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you'll become. :)

:') :')terminally single lol. What cruise did you cruise on last year? If I were to cruise next year solo I would skip out of the MDR and just eat at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I feel like I may get the stare and the "oh are you alone" lol. I hope it would turn out ok if I were to cruise solo. I also feel like NCL is the line I would prefer to stick with one because I'm familiar and two they seem cater to more solo cruisers with meet-ups and such.

It was on the Carnival Sunshine, to be truthfully honest I did not care for the ship at all...that may have something to with it just not being a good cruise. I generally do buffet for breakfast and lunch but do like the MDR for dinner. I am looking to try a more singles/solo friendly line in the future.

Roz

Hi Roz, I agree with your comments........I took my first solo cruise when I was 45 and I am now 59.......it is the only

form of vacation I have taken in the last 14 years:D

I'm from the city and still live in the city! :D Thats one of the perks I liked about that ship leaving from NY since I don't have to buy a plane ticket and im literally 10 mins away from the port by taxi. Yea I've thought about maybe cruising during the school year with the school holidays but idk yet :P still pondering that idea.*highly unlikely* lol I feel like i'd rather cruise next time in mid August instead of July.

I would HIGHLY recommend the Breakaway (or whichever ship takes its place in 2018) to Bermuda during the summer. It's a fantastic island and the entire trip is far more laid back with the single port of call over 3 days. My mom's a teacher, and we're actually doing the Boston>Bermuda itinerary on Dawn in a few weeks before she has to go back to work, but I've also done NYC>Bermuda solo and it's a great trip!

I'm 48 and have been travelling and cruising solo since 15. My age and the ages of people around me have never been of any interest to me. A person can be fun and interesting - or dull and boring - regardless of their age group. Just this week I met an 85 year old lady at the theatre and we got chatting and ended up going for drinks after the show and chatted late into the night like we had been besties for decades.

And if you traveled solo do you feel awkwardly alone?

That feeling is more about a person's own personality and insecurities. I have never felt it and am never likely to.

The benefit of cruising solo (and travelling solo in general) is that its 100% your choice as to how introverted or extraverted you are at any given time of the day. So for me - I am not a morning person. I will head to dining rooms for breakfast and ask for a solo table where I will sit reading or updating my diary while I eat. Lunch I will either eat alone or eat with random folk I have met during the day, Dinner same. I mix it up a bit and eat with different people rather than the same each night.

TravelChick.... You would like the NCL ships with studio cabins, and the studio lounge. Lots of people to meet. I learned from another cruiser that you can book NCL cruises with Solo discounts, as these will have a lot of solo travelers onboard. She said there were 50 solos in her group. I am going to try this on the NCL Norwegian Gem from Manhattan to Canada ,New England, Sails Sept 30th. Hopefully a lot of Solos onboard. This ship has no studio cabins, but Solos flock to the Solo discounted tours from what I hear.

I've seen videos and pictures about the solo cabins. But perhaps I'm picky but i gotta have my balcony. When I first went cruising I opted for a balcony. Yes people will argue that your not gonna be in the room alot but I like to have natural day light lol. However I do need to save up $$$ every now and then. Who knows I may end up trying a inside/solo cabin one day. The solo cabins do look very nice on NLC. So far every cruise I've been on has been with a balcony. I'd be willing to pay extra for it. Thats one thing I'd wish cruising companies would do is give more bargains for solos who want to cruise, especially if you want a balcony or ocean view.

*And I know Anthem of the Seas has the virtual balcony in the solo cabins but I still like the real thing lol

I was 33 when I went on my first solo cruise. But I had been travelling solo for many years before that. I did around the world trip when I was 26. 😀

I feel travelling solo really builds your confidence as you are reliant on yourself. Also you can be totally selfish, do what you want, when you want as nd where you want with out any negotiations 😀

Because cruising is so expensive I now travel with a DA, but I still do my land based holidays solo 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

I went on my first cruise for my 50th birthday in 2015 and went solo. I will be 52 in September and will be sailing solo again to celebrate. I could not have had a better first cruise. I did meet a lot of people through my roll call. I have been on eight cruises and five of them have been solo. I have sailed solo on NCL, Royal and Carnival. I think NCL has the best activities and gatherings for solo cruisers, some of their ships have studio cabins so you don't have to pay the double supplement when you're in a cabin by yourself. Royal does give you double points when you go solo. When you sail solo you can do what you want when you want. I discovered cruising later in life and now I am addicted. I would not let not having anyone to go with stop you from cruising.

I'm going to be 60 in November and am currently trying to decide on an appropriate solo cruise to celebrate the beginning of my next decade. I took my first solo trip at 15, my first solo transatlantic ocean voyage at 19, my first solo cruise at 21, and countless solo trips and cruises since then. I have probably travelled solo by choice more often than with friends or loved ones despite having not been "single"since I was 25 years old. Although I love traveling with family and friends, I find solo travel uniquely empowering and exciting. I hope that I will never have to stop.

My experience cruising solo in my 20's made me a ship fan for life. [in fact, so much so that at 22, I talked my way into a year-long gig slinging cocktails aboard Costa ships! It was a far cry from life as a passenger, but it was an incredible experience in its own right.]. Although I sometimes found myself on a cruise with few (or no) other young solos, I always met interesting folks and very rarely felt lonely or isolated. I would eat at the buffet for lunch (and breakfast, if up early enough!) but I would usually go to the main dining room at dinner and ask to be at a large table. At an open seating, if you introduce yourself to the maitre d' and tell him/her that you'd like to sit with other solos (or other young people), the maitre d' will usually do his/her best to fulfill your request. Events like karaoke nights, talent shows and passenger contests are also great places to meet fun and outgoing people.

Good luck! Please report back and let us know about your cruise!

Age is just a number baby! ;p

I took my first solo cruise when I was 25..... loved every minute of it! And never looked back.... I've done one a year for the last 5 years, with another booked for next year! (NCL Epic Med - 10th June B2B to the 24th June, if your interested ;) - Awesome early booking perks at the moment!)

Before my first cruise I was exactly the same.... I really wanted to holiday but none of my friends could afford to.... but I picked a cruise line I liked the look of and went for it. The second I got home again I looked for my next (that's when I found NCL! and fell in love...) :hearteyes: ** I have a link to my second solo cruise in my signature if you want to check it out... I was 26 at the time.

I have met many solo cruisers of all ages.... from a 24 year old that i became great friends with this year to an 80 year old who was amazing!....

If you find the right cruise line for you.... and you can afford it.... go for it - you wont regret it! I didn't :)

I'm in my early 40s and am about to take my first solo cruise (I was going to take one last year but ended up with companions). For me, it's pretty basic--I live alone. I travel alone. I do everything alone. It's not a matter of my friends not being available or unable to afford it. (The other people I've been on cruises with have been family.) I've been on road trips around national parks by myself. I've visited cities. I've snorkeled with turtles. I've been to other countries. A cruise is just another trip, in a sense, but on the water and self contained. :)

Some people are into traveling and some aren't, and in the end of the day, everyone has to decide for themselves whether they're comfortable going alone or not, but in a practical sense, nothing should hold you back. Traveling alone offers huge advantages over traveling with other people.

You can often meet other people while traveling, but even if you don't, it's usually only a week or two out of your life--if you could see the greatest wonders of the world but had to eat dinner alone for a week, does it really matter? When you think back on that trip, you're not going to think about evenings spent lying around your hotel room; you're going to think about the places you went and the interesting experiences you had while you were out.