Need help deciding!

bekbek4248

I've looked over the boards over and over again I just need help deciding! My husband and I are going on the Celebrity Solstice to Hawaii in September and we'd love to go snorkeling once.... where should we do it? Kona? Hilo? Maui? Oahu?

I know it comes down to a matter of preference and opinion, but advice would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can speak to the snorkeling on the Big Island: Two Steps is amazing, but entry/exit is difficult, and the water is deep, so it can be intimidating for not strong swimmers. Kahaluu Beach is right in Kona, has great snorkeling and easy entry/exit. For me, those are the best 2 snorkeling spots on the Big Island. Beach 69 has pretty good snorkeling, and also offers the nice beach space the other 2 dont have. This beach is kind of a drive from Kona, maybe 40 min if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...
Maui for sure, there are so many places that are easy to get to with easy from the beach access. Basically park your car, put on your gear and swim with the fish!

I like the south east coast of Maui for snorkelling. The Makena Beach near Kihei is very nice, particularly before 10 AM.

http://mauihawaii.ca/makena/index.html

I agree that it's easier to enjoy good snorkeling on Maui & prefer the South Maui area of Wailea & Makena. Scuba diving in Kona was great from boats but with mostly rocky lava shoreline access for snorkeling is more difficult even though visibility generally is great without much sand to adversely affect visibility.

Most things you'll read about snorkeling in Hawaii will state that the best snorkeling is on the Big Island of Hawaii in Kona. I'm no expert on snorkeling, but it seems to me that you need to get off the beach areas in order to have the water clarity needed, and also it helps if there is a reef or other rocky areas to attract the wildlife. Maybe this is why Kona is superior as it has a rocky coastline.

Use caution on the beaches on any of the islands. Most are unguarded. The water looks calm, but there can be currents and rip tides. In Maui, I'd get out on a snorkeling excursion. They'll get you to where the fish and water conditions are optimum.

In Kona, Two-Step, so called because it's two steps off a rocky water level ledge is recommended by many, but you need to be a strong swimmer. There is a private tour which goes here, and they do get into the water with you if you think you may need assistance. Otherwise there are boat tours which get you to inaccessible from shore spots with excellent snorkeling conditions and calm waters. We did a trip to Kealakekua Bay and it was like being in a beautiful crystal clear fish aquarium.