Traditional v. Anytime Dining

watson61

I'm going solo on the Regal Princess in October (Canada/NE). I just switched my dining from traditional (early - and I was on the waitlist which I didn't realize until now) to Anytime. In theory, I always thought traditional is better for solos because you sit with the same people and get to know them. But then I realized in all my solo cruises I've only had one good table and lots of duds, meaning people who wouldn't even talk to me or who didn't (wouldn't?) speak English. So I thought I'd try Anytime. I'd love to hear others' experiences with AnyTime as a solo. I wouldn't mind eating by myself at a small table - are those easy to get? Also, as far as sharing, is it hard to get a table with people who are open to sharing? I remember reading on these boards that Anytime/My Time dining is popular because so many people don't want to eat with strangers.

My experience on Princess with Anytime Dining: The host(ess) greets you at the door and you are asked if you are willing to share a table. I always was seated at a table for 8. As a solo, I enjoy chatting with others at dinner and usually at least one other diner has been at an upcoming port and has some insight to share. I like the flexibility of going to dinner at the time I prefer based upon my activities that day. I’d rather not be at the same table with the same people every evening, particularly on a cruise longer than 7 days. More interesting for me to mix it up. Yes, you can get a table by yourself although you may have to wait a bit if you go at peak times. Occasionally, if it’s been a long day in port, I will decide to go to the buffet. Love Anytime Dining on Princess as a solo.

My experience is from Holland America --

I opted for Anytime dining after discussing it with my Personal Cruise Consultant -- the thought of possibly having to endure 14 days of meals with someone who is obnoxious or whatever made Anytime dining the obvious choice.

I loved it! I indicated early on that I was fine with sharing a table, so I was seated usually at tables for 6, occasionally 8 or 4. Because I ate around the same time each day, I ended up seated with folks who shared that schedule, which resulted in a few familiar faces at each meal. Only once was there an unpleasant experience: an older couple who did nothing but complain, loudly, non-stop throughout the meal about the itinerary, the ship, the staff, the food, the weather ... When I think that I might have been subjected to that for 14 days straight! Yikes!

I'm leaving a week from Monday on a 38-day cruise through the North Atlantic, also Holland America, and again I've signed up for Anytime dining. Definitely looking forward to it. Our Roll Call is extremely active (~180 people on the list), and a lot of us are "Anytime" diners. Should be a lot of fun!

Lana in Bellingham, WA

Similar experiences to ArtsyCraftsy on HAL. After some dud tables in fixed dining (one night I almost left the table in tears because I've never been married :loudcry:), I opted for Anytime and have never looked back. Most have been good tables; only one where I felt uncomfortable. I excused myself before dessert to supposedly go to the show, and went up to the Lido for a quiet piece of cake and coffee.

Roz

• Like 1

My last 3 cruises have been with Crystal, with a "traditional" seating at dinner, and I really liked it and met some lovely people. Next month will be my first cruise with an open dinner seating, and I'm really apprehensive about having to introduce myself again at each meal and start from scratch with new dining partners at each dinner. I do have other dining options, of course, but it's not a change I'm looking forward to.

I went solo on an MSC European cruise 6 years ago and had traditional seating. Being a single woman, they stuck me at a table with two families of kids. It was horrifically uncomfortable for everyone at the table. I had no idea you were able to change tables or I would have done so.

I am all for a two top and my Kindle.

• Like 1

I went solo on an MSC European cruise 6 years ago and had traditional seating. Being a single woman, they stuck me at a table with two families of kids. It was horrifically uncomfortable for everyone at the table. I had no idea you were able to change tables or I would have done so.

I am all for a two top and my Kindle.

I wish I had done the same, Nancy, when I got stuck at the table from hell. Eating by myself in the Lido would have been preferable to the emotional abuse.

Roz

This topic is something that I have been pondering as I approach the days leading to my first solo cruise this December. I am perfectly fine dining solo, although I do like to chat with people during dinner. I picked traditional early dining although I am strongly considering changing to My Time Dining due to our late port arrival and departure in San Juan (1 to 9 pm).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll definitely report back after the cruise. I'm actually going on another cruise before this one - to the Caribbean on Allure in August. But I'm going with family on that one - we have MyTime dining and it will be my first experience with non-traditional dining.

I went on my first solo cruise last November on Carnival's Sensation. When I cruise with friends I always do Anytime Dining but I decided to do early seating as I wanted to be at a table of single people and not be stuck with a bunch of families. I requested the "singles" table when I made my reservation and wound up at a table of 8 which were 5 men and 3 women. I am so glad that I requested that table as we all had a great time. I even wound up doing the Chefs Table with two of the guys one night and we played Blackjack most every night after dinner.

Fast forward to this past April and I went on my 2nd solo cruise on NCL's Escape. Now NCL has a great solo program so I did eat dinner every night with the group and even attended some of the shows with them. I have only been on Princess once and that was with a friend so I can't say anything about their solo dining but if you do Anytime Dining with them ask the hostess to seat you at a table of single people. You might have to wait but for me I hate eating alone so I would wait.

This thread is really making me think maybe I should switch from traditional to anytime dining for my 1st solo cruise on Princess in December. I had originally selected traditional late dining with a larger table of 8 but based on some of the past experiences of others I'm not sure I would like it if I end up with a large family.

This thread is really making me think maybe I should switch from traditional to anytime dining for my 1st solo cruise on Princess in December. I had originally selected traditional late dining with a larger table of 8 but based on some of the past experiences of others I'm not sure I would like it if I end up with a large family.

That is why you ask to be seated at the "singles" table. I would think that most cruise lines have them. At least that way you end up eating with single people and not families.

Princess doesn't have a singles' (solos') table, and in any event, solos can be just as annoying as couples.

If I go to the MDR, I ask for a table for two and eat alone (but not lonely!), but often I'll go to the buffet. Or treat myself to a specialty restaurant.

I would rather eat with a family (large or small) than with a group of pompous, self-righteous singles.

On Princess I was assigned to an 8 or 10 top, and no one showed up the first night. Same thing happened the 2nd night. I felt like an ugly girl on a blind date, and thought maybe my dining mates took one look at me and went fleeing for the exits. The waiter at the next table noticed I spent 2 meals at a big table by myself and alerted the maitre d'.

Roz

I guess I'm mostly worried that I'll end up at a table with a group that keeps to themselves. In that case, I'll plan to ask for another table. I'm really only hoping for friendly. I don't need a table of single people.

That is why you ask to be seated at the "singles" table. I would think that most cruise lines have them. At least that way you end up eating with single people and not families.

I don't understand that type of thought. I don't think that singles would be any more interesting or accommodating than families; I don't care about the marital status (or the vacationing terms) of the people I interact with.

I don't understand that type of thought. I don't think that singles would be any more interesting or accommodating than families; I don't care about the marital status (or the vacationing terms) of the people I interact with.

I'm sorry that you don't understand my thinking but that is how I feel. I don't want to feel like the third wheel and that is how I personally would feel sitting at a table of families or even couples. As I said before my first solo cruise on Carnival turned out great at the "singles" table as I had a lot in common with my fellow single cruisers and we wound up hanging out together after dinner. I guess I lucked out and I'm sorry that some of you didn't. It was such a good experience that I went on my 2nd solo cruise 5 months later.

I'm sorry that you don't understand my thinking but that is how I feel. I don't want to feel like the third wheel and that is how I personally would feel sitting at a table of families or even couples. As I said before my first solo cruise on Carnival turned out great at the "singles" table as I had a lot in common with my fellow single cruisers and we wound up hanging out together after dinner. I guess I lucked out and I'm sorry that some of you didn't. It was such a good experience that I went on my 2nd solo cruise 5 months later.

I'm glad it worked out for you, but I'd suggest you consider broadening your view to realize that one can feel like a "third wheel" among a group of single people as well as among couples or families. And, likewise, a person can feel comfortable and friendly among couples as well as among a bunch of single people......it's about the personalities of the people as much as whether or not they're traveling with someone. I've been in all 4 of those scenarios at one time or another.

I can understand not wanting to feel like a third wheel for sure. That was where my concern was coming from around potentially being seated with one large group instead of maybe a few smaller groups, couples, or friends. I'm not opposed to sitting with a few other solos but it's more the idea of being labeled as "single" that I wanted to stay away from.

My last cruise I enjoyed eating in the main dining room and was always seated at a two top by myself. One night I complimented a woman a couple of tables over about her absolutely beautiful shoes. We chatted and she and her husband invited me to join them. Had I not just finished, I would have. Good tablemates can come in many varieties but it is nice to know you are not stuck with the same ones if its not a good fit.

• Like 1

I have done 6 solo cruises on Princess, 3 on the Regal Princess. I did anytime dining on all of them. All my experiences were good. I eat all of my meals in the dining room. I always ask to sit at a large table. I enjoy meeting new people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

I cruise a lot with P and O and have experienced both fixed and Freedom (anytime) dining. Though I have had some great tables with couples, families and solos on fixed dining, there have also been a couple of really bad experiences which had me dreading dinner each night, so I switched to Freedom. I usually agree to share when you are seated straight away, often on a 6 or 8, and there have always been nice people to talk to. I also dine alone in the Speciality restaurants which I enjoy, and if I'm tired go somewhere where you don't have to book like the Glass House. I only had one bad night on Freedom with a very rude woman, but at least it's only for one meal!

I have done 6 solo cruises on Princess, 3 on the Regal Princess. I did anytime dining on all of them. All my experiences were good. I eat all of my meals in the dining room. I always ask to sit at a large table. I enjoy meeting new people.

And on the other side of the coin, I've done solo cruises on Princess (the last two on the Regal and the Sapphire) and I have always chosen anytime dining as well and tended to ask for a table just for myself. On random occasions, I would opt to sit at a large table. Just like Evelyn's experiences above, the staff in the MDR was accommodating to my wishes and I had excellent meal experiences every time.

Bottom line: just ask for what you want and if it's within reason, the staff will make it happen.

My last cruise I enjoyed eating in the main dining room and was always seated at a two top by myself. One night I complimented a woman a couple of tables over about her absolutely beautiful shoes. We chatted and she and her husband invited me to join them. Had I not just finished, I would have. Good tablemates can come in many varieties but it is nice to know you are not stuck with the same ones if its not a good fit.

I like that.

I have been cruising solo now, for two years. My first cruises were not exactly solo, as I knew some people from previous cruises, and they graciously invited me to join them. What I enjoyed the most, however, was on a couple of nights, they went to specialty restaurants, and while they still invited me to join them, not having the 'package', I declined. Fortunately, this was on NCL, which has an outstanding program for solo cruiser's (the best at sea, IMHO)....

Each evening, they have a get-together in a designated lounge from around 5 until 6 PM. It is hosted by a member of the cruise activities staff, who makes introduction's, conducts various games and activities, maintains signup sheets for those wishing to dine at specialty restaurants on certain dates, or go on shorex together, etc.

At the end of the hour, everyone not having specific plans are invited to go to the main dining room together, where they have one or two large tables reserved.

I had such a good time, that I was sorry that I couldn't do it every night...I was reluctant since I thought that it might hurt the feelings of my friend's that graciously invited me to join them.

One other thing...while dining with my friends, if we had an empty seat, and noticed someone at a nearby table dining alone, we would often invite them to join us. Some would gladly accept, and we met some very nice new people as a result, some of who joined us for the remainder of the cruise...:)

• Like 2