Dining on Pacific Jewel

We are on the Jewel in September on our first cruise. Our son has medical procedures which must be carried out every evening so we have to dine as early as possible each night. We are limited to the Waterfront restaurant because of food allergies. How early do we need to book at the restaurant to secure an early table? Do I go there as soon as we board? Will they book us a table for the entire week? Thanks.

Ring P&O and explain the situation. They will tell you the steps to follow and help you organise this. While posters on these boards are very helpful, for this case you need to go direct to the company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, we've been in contact with P&O - they told us to make ourselves known to the maitre de on the first night - but that was it. Their customer care people have difficulty understanding and I have had 3 separate people offer 3 lots of different advice! I was hoping someone who had been onboard recently could advise what they had seen/done.

Hi, we came off the Pacific Jewel a week ago yesterday. My husband has diabetes + FODMAP so we needed special diet considerations. The first night was the only problem - and that was because we didn't preorder the food. We should have done this when we booked our table upon boarding. There is also a letter with the chefs details in your cabin so you could call if you have any concerns. My advice is to talk to them - the waterfront is open for lunch on boarding day so you can let your wait staff know and they will get the supervisor.

Everynight the supervisor bought the next days menu at dessert time and then came back to take our order for the three meals (if needed - we could pretty much do breakfast & lunch off the menu).

By day three of the cruise they knew our details and we didn't even have to say what wasn't needed.

When you eat casually - e.g. breakfast / lunch just tell them you have a special diet request in and they will get it processed. There is a seperate galley area who do the special meals. Don't feel like you just have to remove elements - we ended up just ordering the protein of choice then specifying the sides - e.g. the beef with chips and a salad. We would also order off menu items that we knew were always in the kitchen e.g. sorbet

We did have a few timing issues e.g. I would get mine before his or vice versa but again by night 3 this was sorted. Also they forgot to ask how he would like things cooked e.g. the flank steak so it came out well done. Next time we will specify "pink" as they only asked "pink or brown".

The earliest you can arrive is 5.15 and you can be easily out by 6.30 (we would arrive 5.30 / 5.40 and could meet this time ok).

As an aside we liked the supervisor on the odd numbered side of the dining room better than the even.

You can't eat at the waterfront on port days at lunch time - they can make arrangements for you to have food served at the Pantry that meet your needs. We don't know how this worked as we could make do with the standard fare.

I hope you have a great cruise. I will get around to posting a review shortly and add the menus so you can start to preplan!

Sorry forgot to say you can book the table for the whole cruise. While they say you can do this at anytime, the reality is we make it our first stop once we get onboard. We drop off the bags then head to the waterfront for lunch and make the booking then.

Sorry forgot to say you can book the table for the whole cruise. While they say you can do this at anytime, the reality is we make it our first stop once we get onboard. We drop off the bags then head to the waterfront for lunch and make the booking then.

Agree with this - get onboard and go straight to the waterfront to book a table for the early sitting for the entire cruise.