Aug Cook and Society Vs Oct Society and Tahiti Iti

Buggie44

ok everyone, for a surprise 30th anniversary trip with DH I am trying to choose between the 11 night Cook and Society Islands Aug 3 2019 vs the 7 night Society Islands Tahiti-Iti cruise on Oct 19th 2019. For both would we would precruise, but could only post cruise with the 7 day. This is only our second cruise ever and first trip to FP. Just not sure if it might be more relaxing to bookend the cruise with two or three days on a couple different islands, or get to see the Cook ports and give up the post cruise extension. I guess cost is somewhat of a concern but I figure the shorter cruise plus land on both ends will be a wash with the longer cruise with a precruise.

What do you think and why? Looking forwrd to hearing lots of opinions. Thank you! Buggie PS maybe it helps to mention I am more into the water stuff than DH, and he is the history/cultural buff. Neither one of us is more than a casual snorkler so diving considerations aren't important. Thanks

Edited by Buggie44
adding info

This is a tough one. Although I never tire of French Polynesia, my one PG cruise that included the Cooks was fascinating. But the 7-day itinerary is a lovely introduction to FP, and I once did the 7-day Societies cruise twice back-to-back and loved it. I suspect the 7-day with pre-cruise and post-cruise stays might be best for you, but there are no bad choices here. Warning: which ever one you choose, you will probably want to go back and do the other one. It is called the "Polynesian flu" and one never gets over it.

I agree with David (not surprising, since I'm married to him.)

For a first-timer, I'd do the 7-day. The Cook's is wonderful, but there are two sea days, and as nice as those sea days would be, I wouldn't waste my time at sea the first time out, but rather see more of the Society Islands.

How long a pre- and post- would you have? If just a day or two, I'd front-load it all into the pre-cruise, and go for 3-4 days on Moorea or somewhere else other than Tahiti.

Let me throw in another opinion...our first PG cruise was to the cooks in 2016..the ten day cruise was perfect..we are glad we spent more than 7 days on the boat and the Cook Islands were fantastic and worth the extra days ..the two sea days gave us time to really relax, catch up on reading and eating..massage...enjoy the ship...etc etc..we are back in 2020 ( yes booked already) for the 10 day tuamotu cruise in early October...7 days is just not enough for us !

Difficult choice ....

The rule of thumb on this question is to book as long of a PG cruise as your time/budget permits.

However ... bookends work well

However ... As the Cook's are a bit further south of the equator there is a higher variation in temperature than French Polynesia. August weather is usually 5-6 degrees cooler in the Cook's verses the Society Islands. Fact is you will want to take a light jacket for the night time if you go to the Cook's in August.

October is a great time for the Society Islands ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Thank you so much for the thoughtful replies!

When I started this process I was thinking along the same lines as David and Wendy. I was researching a combination of a cruise and land for Hawaii before I "discovered" FP. The 7 day cruise gives a great overview of the Society Islands without sea day breaks and we'd have more time to bookend. Plus October will be an easier time to travel for us, and we got a bigger discount in this sailing.

"However" as Kahuna would say, and nicely discussed by both Kahuna and Larro9, most people do seem to go with the longest duration they can afford and enjoy their time on the ship. I think DH would appreciate the cooler temps in the Cooks too.

Maybe if I can manage it we could consider not just the pre-cruise but also bookending the 10 day.

So this may be another thread but.....

for either option Moorea seems the obvious choice for pre-cruise. Then I would pick a second island for post-cruise maybe one that has more reasonable price options ( I know, this FP so it's going to be more than anywhere else but that's fine). It would be ideal to choose an island in the area that isn't a focus on the cruise and/or is more overlooked. of course at some point it woukd be great to do the bucketist OWB. Should I go with the PG packages or look on my own?

I am raiding our never touched savings anyway, so may as well go for it. I am pretty sure when on my deathbed (unless I drop dead, of course which is preferable) fond memories of a bathroom renovation won't be first in my mind.....

Thanks so much for all the advice. Looking forward to hearing more.

Buggie

I believe you mean bookend the 11 night Cook Islands cruise.

Post cruise I would pick Rangiroa as the PG only stops here for about 5 hours on the Atoll/ Society cruise.

There are OWB's the Kia Ora or a less expensive stay would be at the Bali Hai which is owned by the same corporation as the PG

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

For us, I enjoyed “adjusting” on Tahiti for a few days pre-cruise...I could see going to Moorea before the cruise since it is beautiful, nice hotels and an almost effortless journey from Tahiti ..do give yourself one night in Tahiti if you can..it’s a nice experience overnight with the roulottes and a lively waterfront ...for us, we were ready to head home after the PG cruise as we were very relaxed, happy and satisfied enough and I just couldn’t see hopping on a plane and going somewhere else...everybody does it different, no correct way...

We will be on the 8/3 cruise for our 7th cruise. Thus far Le Taha’a pre and Moorea post. I would not do less than 3 nights at whichever you choose Although pre and post land stays are great I would choose the 11 night cruise even if it means less of a land stay. Whichever you choose price it out yourself as the PG package might not be great and they tend to “push” you to specific hotels.

Rangiroa sounds great if you like water sports and isolation. Taha'a also sounds great, pretty high-end I think. Haven't stayed in either place, although we stayed in the Tuamotus long ago, and loved it. Both involve a plane flight, so luggage is limited, just FYI. Low atoll with not much but water, versus lush island but with little tourist infrastructure.

Moorea has more tourist infrastructure, hotel choices and has restaurants and shops. High-end places like Sofitel, Hilton etc., or lower-end local Tahitian hotels, like our fave Les Tipaniers. Depends on your style.

I also agree that pre-cruise wins over post-cruise, as I've said, although I have envied people getting off the ship the last afternoon for a stay in Moorea (so you could think about Moorea for post-cruise and do that.)

We stayed at the le Meriden....used to be the Sheraton when we stayed there years ago...we are starwood platinum so that influenced our choice as it was, free!... PG uses this as one of the day room offers so coming back there for a day was easy ..I’m sure I would like the IHC but with our hotel status we got a huge suite with wrap around lanai and a free buffet breakfast..

Hi again everyone,

Thought I would give you the update. Decided on the Oct. 19, 2019 Society Island sailing. It falls closer to our anniversary date, we would celebrate DH's birthday on board, and I will have an easier time getting coverage for our work and that was a big concern. Also the combination of being first time cruisers on a small ship, newbies to FP and the 7 night island intensive option is a good fit. That said with the shorter cruise I can plan pre-cruise to adjust, the cruise to be pretty active, and then some down-time post cruise to chill until we have to go home. I am making notes of all the points regarding the land portion from this post, and will troll around to see what looks great for excursions etc.. You are the best; I really appreciate your help as this turned out to be a very tough choice.

Sincerely, Buggie