Reflections and Photos from our First Journey to French Polynesia!

Lrorogers

La Orana,

“Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.”

― Gustave Flaubert

I was just sharing photos with loved ones and thought that many on this forum might appreciate our reflections and photos from our recent trip to French Polynesia last month (July 2018).

I want to thank everyone who had posted trip reports and tips (especially Dana’s -aka Deladane’s fabulously detailed trip report, TBK’s inspiring photos and helpful tips, and Laura’s - aka “yourSLCwoman” recent trip report as well) and all who answered my questions this past year as we planned for this incredible adventure.

My husband and I celebrated our 10th Anniversary and a special birthday at one of our “Bucket trip” destinations…French Polynesia. We spent just over two weeks in July visiting beautiful islands, gorgeous motus, and breathtaking atolls including: Fakarava, Huahine, Rangiroa, Taha’a, Moorea and Bora Bora aboard the Paul Gauguin.

In short, this experience was incredible!

We arrived and stayed in Tahiti a few days before boarding the cruise. We enjoyed 10 nights aboard the amazing Paul Gauguin which was awesome and afforded us the opportunity to see so much! There were only 320 guests on board, and the staff, food, and of course, the destinations were second to none. The ship and staff really live up to their stellar reputation…it was undoubtedly the best cruise we have ever been on! We then flew to Bora Bora, and extended our stay for a few days after the cruise to experience an overwater bungalow at the St. Regis…absolutely beautiful!

We so loved meeting many wonderful people on board (some from this cruise critic forum), especially FlightMedic and his lovely wife, KMorg123 and her wonderful family, and Tina with her kind husband!

SNORKELLING:

“The best way to observe a fish, is to become a fish” - Jacques Cousteau……and we did become fish!

For my fellow snorkelling friends…..life underwater in French Polynesia was magical! I had purchased the recommended Olympus TG5 camera just before our trip (thanks for the inspiration Deladane!) , and it did not disappoint! The plethora of fish, the pristine coral, and clarity of the water were mesmerizing….We snorkelled every chance we got! For the first time ever, we swam with black tip sharks, manta rays, eagle rays, spotted rays and even saw an octopus up close! It was undoubtedly some of the best snorkelling that we have ever experienced!

DH and I also changed our snorkel gear from the one piece to a proper snorkel and mask after the concerns that arose with the full face masks…and we quickly adjusted and loved our new equipment!

I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.” Mary Anne Radmacher”

French Polynesia is indeed, also a place of which dreams are made…It is absolutely beautiful, inspirational, a feast for the senses, and life affirming. My husband and I feel so blessed to have been able to complete this journey. We hope to one day return to this spectacular part of the world!

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/lrodopoulos/slideshow/Our%2010th%20Anniversary%20in%20French%20Polynesia

I am including the above link to my online photo album (just copy and paste it into a different tab/window)….Sorry for the many photos…you may wish to pour a cup of coffee or glass of wine….and I hope you enjoy the photo journey!

Maururu,

:) Lisa

p.s. I will add some tips from others that were very helpful to me in my planning, and a few of my own in an additional post on this thread.

Edited by Lrorogers

SOME TIPS THAT WERE VERY HELPFUL TO ME IN MY PLANNING AND A FEW I HAVE ADDED FROM OUR OWN EXPERIENCE:

• get your snorkel equipment in the ship’s marina right after the 5 pm drill; a long line up forms very quickly

• The Olympus TG5 underwater camera is incredible! I had read reviews, several trip reports both on this forum and on Trip Advisor and of course seen the potential photos it takes….best purchase ever! Very easy to use as well.

• Watch for the PG’s Valentine’s Day special, even after you have booked. Thanks to this tip from Dana, I called PG and added the complimentary promotion of $200 OBC, a box of Godiva chocolates and a bottle of bubbly to our account.

• We enjoyed so many of our meals…loved the first menu at L’Etoile. Also loved having our breakfast and lunches there as well…such a great view both inside and outside during the day. Also really liked the “themed lunches”…the Greek lunch was amazing (this coming from someone of Greek descent ;) )

• Best excursions: Marc’s Lagoon Tour (good introduction to Huahine and tried delicious Poisson Cru for the first time), Ato Lissant’s tour in Fakarava (incredible time spent snorkelling and at the Blue Lagoon), Pure Snorkelling in Bora Bora (great snorkelling), and Raanui Tours in Bora Bora (amazing up close encounters with sharks, rays and wonderful snorkel stops)…loved the smaller group sizes...booked many privately.

• Enjoyed seeing the pearl farm in Huahine on Marc’s Lagoon tour…bring $$, some great pearls to buy…I ended up buying pearls on Motu Mahana, the dock at Moorea, and at Robert Wan in Bora Bora.

• Loved Motu Mahana....what a blissful and idyllic experience…and there are good merchants there to buy vanilla (bean/paste/extract) and pearls...and bring your snorkelling gear.

• Try to get to the market in Papeete before/after the cruise…best pricing on souvenirs/gifts. I ended up buying a few pareos, Manoi oil, and some Tiare French milled soap. There are also of course pearls for sale, but did not initially find anything that spoke to me there.

I hope that my reflections help. For those who are planning a trip on the Paul Gauguin…..enjoy, it is an incredible experience!

For others (like us) who have just come back:

“Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” ―Pat Conroy

….we are definitely playing this incredible voyage in “the quietest chambers…of our minds” and loving reliving the memories!

Cheers,

Lisa

I recognize some of those pictures :)

Thanks for the review, so helpful to others planing their trip to paradise.

Hi TBK,

Glad you enjoyed the reflections and photos. Thanks for your help in planning and continued inspirational photos.

Beautiful photos! So glad you had such a memorable time in FP :) Thanks for sharing!!

Hi Deladane!

Happy to share, and give back in whatever way I can. Thank YOU for all of your helpful information and great trip report....it gave me so many wonderful tips, including purchasing the Olympus TG5 camera....love it!

SOME TIPS THAT WERE VERY HELPFUL TO ME IN MY PLANNING AND A FEW I HAVE ADDED FROM OUR OWN EXPERIENCE:

• get your snorkel equipment in the ship’s marina right after the 5 pm drill; a long line up forms very quickly

• The Olympus TG5 underwater camera is incredible! I had read reviews, several trip reports both on this forum and on Trip Advisor and of course seen the potential photos it takes….best purchase ever! Very easy to use as well.

• Watch for the PG’s Valentine’s Day special, even after you have booked. Thanks to this tip from Dana, I called PG and added the complimentary promotion of $200 OBC, a box of Godiva chocolates and a bottle of bubbly to our account.

• We enjoyed so many of our meals…loved the first menu at L’Etoile. Also loved having our breakfast and lunches there as well…such a great view both inside and outside during the day. Also really liked the “themed lunches”…the Greek lunch was amazing (this coming from someone of Greek descent ;) )

• Best excursions: Marc’s Lagoon Tour (good introduction to Huahine and tried delicious Poisson Cru for the first time), Ato Lissant’s tour in Fakarava (incredible time spent snorkelling and at the Blue Lagoon), Pure Snorkelling in Bora Bora (great snorkelling), and Raanui Tours in Bora Bora (amazing up close encounters with sharks, rays and wonderful snorkel stops)…loved the smaller group sizes...booked many privately.

• Enjoyed seeing the pearl farm in Huahine on Marc’s Lagoon tour…bring $$, some great pearls to buy…I ended up buying pearls on Motu Mahana, the dock at Moorea, and at Robert Wan in Bora Bora.

• Loved Motu Mahana....what a blissful and idyllic experience…and there are good merchants there to buy vanilla (bean/paste/extract) and pearls...and bring your snorkelling gear.

• Try to get to the market in Papeete before/after the cruise…best pricing on souvenirs/gifts. I ended up buying a few pareos, Manoi oil, and some Tiare French milled soap. There are also of course pearls for sale, but did not initially find anything that spoke to me there.

I hope that my reflections help. For those who are planning a trip on the Paul Gauguin…..enjoy, it is an incredible experience!

“Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” ―Pat Conroy

….we are definitely playing this incredible voyage in “the quietest chambers…of our minds” and loving reliving the memories!

Cheers,

Lisa

Well - you brought tears to my eyes. We leave a week from today for our first visit to FP. Thank you for sharing the quotes, the tips, and recommendations. We are using Marc in Huahine and trying to decide whether to come back early for the activities on the ship. There’s just so much to do and so little time. I echo your comments on all the good advice that has been contributed (TBK & deladane in particular) and am grateful for it as well. Thanks for adding fuel to the excitement and anticipation.

Beautiful photos! So glad you had such a memorable time in FP :) Thanks for sharing!!

Well - you brought tears to my eyes. We leave a week from today for our first visit to FP. Thank you for sharing the quotes, the tips, and recommendations. We are using Marc in Huahine and trying to decide whether to come back early for the activities on the ship. There’s just so much to do and so little time. I echo your comments on all the good advice that has been contributed (TBK & deladane in particular) and am grateful for it as well. Thanks for adding fuel to the excitement and anticipation.

You're welcome Gogirlvet!....And how exciting that you are about to experience a trip to paradise so soon! We asked Marc in Huahine to have us back to the dock for the 3:00 pm tender to the ship....the activities on the ship (ie. moonfish demonstration, sign up for the Bridge tour on the first day, etc.) are worth it.

Plus, by 3 pm, you feel like you have had a full day and want to be back on board. Truthfully, we loved the excursions that ended by 1:00 pm so we could also enjoy all that the ship offered.

Have a fabulous trip!

Thank you for this wonderful report and for sharing your beautiful photography! The Olympus TG5 was on our radar but now it's a must purchase item! Welcome back to YYZ! :)

Thanks BeachTunes, glad you enjoyed the photos! :D

The Olympus TG5 was the best purchase made for us...and very easy to use. I was blown away by the underwater shots but equally impressed with many of the out of water photos as well.

Cheers,

Lisa

Lisa - The TG5 did a great job for you and several others have purchased one based on info provided by a few including yourself.

Now the pressure is on .... I'll need to capture some pretty spectacular stuff later this year ... but I love a good challenge :)

Hi TBK,

I am sure the photos I have taken won't hold a candle to your beautiful shots....I am excited to see your upcoming photography!

Thank you for posting , your review and pic's have us very excited for our second PG cruise

My pleasure DGK, I am happy that the review and photos are helpful. How exciting that you have the opportunity to experience another amazing cruise on the PG!

I look forward to reading about your experience!

Your pictures are amazing! Your review is so helpful for someone just starting to plan a trip for 2020. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks very much for your kind reflections MNmomof4! I am glad that you enjoyed the photos and review!

Absolutely stunning photos!!! And the St. Regis Bora Bora just got added to my never-ending bucket list. :hearteyes:

Thanks so much Laura! Your review was so helpful and got us excited before our July trip!

Yes, the St. Regis Bora Bora was a bucket trip stay for sure....it really was stunning!

I am glad that you enjoyed the photos.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Lisa

P.s. One final tip to add to my original list that my husband and I were just reflecting on....

- We definitely found that the PG laundry package was worth every penny on our 10 night cruise, and it was indeed more cost efficient than having to send out each individual piece of clothing for two people.

We did use it extensively. Our clothes always came back beautifully done, and on the same day when given before 9 am in the morning. In addition, it was great to have clean laundry to take home. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Lisa, I really enjoy reading your helpful reviews and comments here. Thank you so much. We are taking our first PG cruise in July 2020 so would be interested in how the weather was when you cruised FP in July.

Also, I'd love to see your photos but the photobucket  link you posted at the beginning of this thread says the album is password protected. Could you unlock it? Thanks!

Tried to send you a message but it said I could only send 0 messages per day and to try again later. Fat lot of help that is, eh? <grin>