San Francisco to Papeete

Buggie44

Saw United is offering a new service this year from San Francisco to Papeete but it looks seasonal. Anyone have experience with this? We are teaveling from Boston and I would like an overnight on the West Coast to break up the flights. San Francisco would be a great alternative to LA. Thank you!

Buggie:cool:

Also also the same lines, if not working through PG or a travel agent do you like to book directly with the airline or on a third party site? I've done both but when traveling internationally usually go directly with the carrier because it's easier to straighten out problems without dealing with the discount sites. That said, the only option is Ait Tahiti anyway and I just saw prices in the $900.00 range which seems low.

thanks Buggie:cool:

Also also the same lines, if not working through PG or a travel agent do you like to book directly with the airline or on a third party site? I've done both but when traveling internationally usually go directly with the carrier because it's easier to straighten out problems without dealing with the discount sites. That said, the only option is Ait Tahiti anyway and I just saw prices in the $900.00 range which seems low.

thanks Buggie:cool:

I always book directly with the airline. Not sure I understand exactly what you're asking otherwise. Air France is another option, depending on dates, since they only fly three times a week.

Hi Wendy, Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the United flight from San Francisco; and also if people who opt to look for their own flights and fares book with the carrier or book using a third party site. Like you I've always used the carrier directly but I saw some low fares on Air Tahiti on Cheapflights.com and thought that might be an option to save a little. In reality, we'll most likely just go from LA rather than San Francisco, and will use the included airfare from PG. It's our first time so sometimes that's just the easiest way. Thanks! Buggie

We are going on Paul Gauguin in October from San Francisco. There is a new discount airline that flies several days a week from SFO called French Bee air. It is direct to Papette and less expensive than Air France or United.

We are going on Paul Gauguin in October from San Francisco. There is a new discount airline that flies several days a week from SFO called French Bee air. It is direct to Papette and less expensive than Air France or United.

But French Bee really likes to nickel & dime you.

Want a decent seat $$$

Want a meal $$$

Want a beer $$$

Want to check a bag $$$

Want to use the rest room $$$ (just kidding) but you get the idea.

I really wanted to give this new carrier a try but I ended up booking ATN for about the same price as I would of gotten after all the nickels and Dimes charged by French Bee. Yes I'll be on a new Boeing 787 :)

I also like the fact that ATN has backup ...

Remember the cheap price you see is absolutely no frills .... nothing, nada ... zero

We used ATN with the PG since we were able to book seats at the time the tickets were processed and although we are very independent travelers, the PG line “ had our backs” if anything went wrong ! The newv787 planes look very inviting compared to the old ones we have been on...either way, you are getting there !

ATN is familiar ... your greeted at check-in by a PG representative ... I know LAX like the back of my hand. New 787 planes will be nice but as Wendy mentioned .... your going to paradise so a little inconvenience is no big deal.

Air France is another airline that we've taken several times. Their prices are better than ATN sometimes. I remember 2 years ago we took AF and the meals served in coach wasn't as good as we remember from a decade ago. The flight attendant brought us warm pastries that are served in business class ....

Buggie44, we have a cruise booked for January 5, 2019 and we scheduled our own air thru United, leaving January 1 as we are doing a pre extension. Since we are flying from Dulles, it was convenient to use United straight thru. You won't find any reviews on the service yet as United doesn't start flying the route until October.

Mike