Live from the Spirit, September 10th to 25th, Tilbury to New York City

spinnaker2

Suitcases packed and we are ready to go! The car service will arrive soon and we will officially be on our way to Tilbury (masquerading as London). Of course there will be a long flight in between, and then another long drive from Heathrow to Tilbury. Truth be told, we had hoped to depart from London, but we were informed long ago of the change in port. I suppose we could have cancelled the cruise at that point, but this minor change will definitely not dampen our spirits or our wish to be on the Spirit.

I know I am a day early in starting this thread, but I also know some CCers are already in London. Hopefully they will share their journey up to this point.

More to come in the days ahead as we make our way across the North Atlantic!

Safe travels and enjoy you cruise Spins .....

I am particularly looking forward to hearing about your trip from Heathrow to Tilbury .... a trip that will encourage you to really appreciate life both before and after that expedition and never, ever take life for granted again ..........

You won’t need to take any oxygen supply, but a bottle of voddy should see you alright. ;) :)

Suitcases packed and we are ready to go! The car service will arrive soon and we will officially be on our way to Tilbury (masquerading as London). Of course there will be a long flight in between, and then another long drive from Heathrow to Tilbury. Truth be told, we had hoped to depart from London, but we were informed long ago of the change in port. I suppose we could have cancelled the cruise at that point, but this minor change will definitely not dampen our spirits or our wish to be on the Spirit. I know I am a day early in starting this thread, but I also know some CCers are already in London. Hopefully they will share their journey up to this point. More to come in the days ahead as we make our way across the North Atlantic!

Great to see Spins on her way for this excellent adventure!! Safe travels and our best wishes for many fun experiences. Plus, nice meals and much relaxation. Yes, love to read any and all details for this fun trip. Plus, lots of visuals to be shared!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 34,696 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Have a great trip. I guess I don’t know what Tilbury is. Is it something dreadful?

Don't feel "dreadful", Rachel. I did not know where Tilbury was located, either. Below is a Google map that shows it being just east of the main part of London. Looks as if on the sailing out to the Atlantic that for Spins, etc., you will be going directly by the famed White Cliffs of Dover. Another nice photographic opportunity??

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 59,361 views for these postings.

From Google maps, here with the round red pin spotting is the location for Tilbury. Looks not too far away and maybe a little interesting?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

Screen%20Shot%202018-09-09%20at%201.55.01%20PM_zpszighqpoa.png

I've been in London since Friday, done all I needed to do, and am ready to get the Tilbury train tomorrow. Weather forecast to be pleasant.

Looking forward to being aboard and checking out the stretched ship - that'll be the most interesting sight, the scenery around Tilbury docks won't be much to feast one's eyes upon.

PS It may still be dark when we pass the White Cliffs - we sail at 11.30pm, presumably with the tide - not sure how far we'll have gone by morning.

Eric and I are in our hotel lounge, having our last meal - before our next meal and the next and the next. We have had a wonderful time in London for the past 4 days. We have been blessed with the most gorgeous weather. And we have had some incredible food! In London? Who knew?

Soon we will head to the room, finish packing up, and then call an Uber for the drive to Tilbury. See some of you soon!

Janice

Have a great trip. I guess I don’t know what Tilbury is. Is it something dreadful?

:D

If you are at a loose end and want to understand a bit more about why Tilbury is considered a dump then googling "Tilbury is a dump" gives some insights from people who live there with a few etceteras .... eg ...

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/tilbury-2.html

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/bnkxn4/when-are-we-going-to-stop-laughing-at-****-britain-189

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/25/london-dumping-ground-essex-skeleton-crossrail-closet

Too bad you are going to pass the white cliffs of Dover during the night as that is really something worth seeing.

Too bad you will be passing by this famous location at night. Maybe it would help if Spins brings along a really powerful flashlight?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 230,737 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I’m on board, and first impression is (having disembarked the Muse in June) how very, very familiar it feels. The Spirit is Musing me.

Appreciate these details and insights. Look forward to seeing many posted visuals. Lots of fun pictures, hopefully!! Enjoyed being on the Silver Spirit last June before its S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G. Glad there are so many on this sailing who are active on these Cruise Critic boards. We should learn lots more on the ship's food, service, sights, etc. Keep it coming!!

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 24,928 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

we are finally aboard.

too exhausted for much. virgin atlantic managed to get us in safely and early.

many crew aboard came back after being on the Muse! lovely to see them.

and yes the spirit is the close to spitting image of the muse.

its a beautiful day here!

I’m on board, and first impression is (having disembarked the Muse in June) how very, very familiar it feels. The Spirit is Musing me.
Good deal! I'm interested to read what your think of the new Arts Cafe as the Muse's executive chef, Anne-Mari Cornelius, told us this summer it was going to be a bit larger than on the Muse with more goodies in store. :)

Arts Cafe is larger but it’s Starboard, not Port as on the Muse; the larger Silver Note is where the Arts is on the Muse. One could be confused.

Have bumped into an exhausted Spins, the sun (by British definition) has almost shone, the wind is bloody cold, and Tilbury as we suspected is a dump.

Millions, well, over 20, solos at the get together which I opted not to join.

Dinner in Terrazza shortly, hoping to avoid the tasteless and oversalted duck ragout that others rave about, can’t imagine why.

But oh so glad to be aboard - can’t beat cruising!