Lost luggage

wimisi

My smaller piece of luggage was lost from Silver Wind to the pier where you retrieve your luggage. Does Silver Sea have any liability in this case? They have pretty much said another passenger must have taken it and maybe it will resurface. Anyone with experience, please advise how I should proceed. I’m in London for a couple of days and all of my walking shoes and clean clothes were in that bag😒.

Hi, no I’m afraid I don’t think they do as it looks like it has been taken by someone else. You will be covered by your travel insurance, but they may insist that you report it to the police and get a case number.

On a cruise some time back another passenger stole our luggage straps of all things, but that was whilst the luggage was in the hall outside the suite and SS sent us some cash to replace them as we were able to identify the passenger but SS didn’t wish to confront him.

Enjoy London in spite of this episode.

Did you have any ribbons or tags on it other than the Silversea disembark tag on the case ?

After someone took my husbands carry on at an airport screening check, I now put lots of very colourful ribbons on all our luggage - bright orange and hot pink and purple stand out among at lot of luggage !!!

It was a pea green Eagle Creek international carryon and it had several tags but alas, no ribbons! It must have been someone very color blind to mistake it for their own! In the future, I’ll not entrust my carryon to ANYONE! Headed to the laundromat to wash something to wear home.

Oh gosh, I remember hearing about this when we disembarked and we were on the bus to the RGS event. I am really hoping that you come back and tell us that your bag turned up. Not the way to end an otherwise enjoyable cruise. Good luck and so sorry that this happened.

Edited by jpalbny

We (myself, my wife, and sister) actually didn't 'lose' two of our bags, they, the bags, just walked over to another numbered area which was on the other side of the room ! 'BAD BAD bags!!' We had never done the 'bags outside the room the night before' and this was our first time AND last because it took us twenty minutes too locate both errant bags :rolleyes: Which we can chalk up to human error. I assume, and I know that's a dangerous thing but some longshoreman didn't read the numbered bag correctly and placed both bags in different numbered area. However, I DO wish they'd place someone too check that bags are with the right passenger. I know, I know.. Some faceless BIG wig MIGHT have to do without his driver for his personal limo ! :eek: And goodness, we can't have that !!

Mac

Well I guess we'll be keeping our carry-ons with us for our upcoming (first) cruise on Silversea. We haven't had a problem so far on 3 other cruise lines, so we weren't expecting it this time. It's rather disappointing that they don't accept responsibility for their passengers picking up someone else's luggage and walking off with it. I'm looking forward to our cruise less and less everyday.

Well it all depends on whether you view this as the perfect end to your ultra luxury cruise, Picking up your abandoned bags from the quayside is a free for all. It wouldn’t take much to place tags for each bag in your cabin and place a couple of crew after the baggage dump to quickly scan to check that each passenger leaving has the appropraite bags before leaving the terminal. Or would that detract from the entire disembarkation ambiance of we’ve had your money now get gone quickly that SS seem to prefer?

If it were my luxury brand, I might consider a more civil disembarkation process.

It was a pea green Eagle Creek international carryon and it had several tags but alas, no ribbons! It must have been someone very color blind to mistake it for their own! In the future, I’ll not entrust my carry on to ANYONE! Headed to the laundromat to wash something to wear home.

Sorry to hear of your bag loss. I have to admit I never hand over my carry on which is mostly because it contains £1000s in camera gear and I wouldn't even trust that to the missus!

A regrettable incident. I know when I've gone to pickup my luggage, I've never had to prove the items were mine when collecting and suspect the only way its possible to avoid someone taking your stuff, is to hand over a ticket to reclaim it and prove its yours. That'll certainly slow things down but at least your items will be safe.

I have to admit, generally I've always felt pretty comfortable with other passengers and never thought someone would remove my stuff. I leave cameras unguarded on the ships for several hours (filming timelapse) and always expect them to be there on my return. (I wouldn't feel that confident on mainsteam cruise lines for sure.)

If its not turned up now, it doesnt sound like another passengers mistake or it would be returned by now (or at least you'd be in the know.)

You always see luggage left unguarded in hotels.... we've all done it..... and then when collected, never been challenged "can you prove that's yours".

Makes it all pretty unsavoury, but then I suspect its fairly evident even Silversea carry passengers who are dishonest.

Fingers crossed it does turn up, or at least you get satisfaction with reimbursement from either SS or your insurance company.

Please keep us informed the outcome.

Thank you for your quick reply. I’m only here for 2 days so at least I won’t need much. I surely wish they would put in a baggage check system but have learned a valuable lesson.

In thinking about your situation I have had a further idea that may or may not be of interest or work.

You might consider claiming under your insurance for delayed luggage rather than stolen luggage. As,you do not yet know whether it might turn up this actually more accurately describes your situation.

This might provide a contribution towards the inconvenience and anything else you might needed to have purchased.

We had a similar problem with Regent in Monaco.

Cases were sorted (apparently) into people transferring for International flights and domestic/european flights and if using the transfer coaches you were asked by a member of staff to identify your cases before they were loaded. We were on a European flight but only one of our cases was anywhere to be seen, we and a memeber of Regent staff on the dock checked everywhere but eventually we had to board the coach to the airport without it.

Halfway to Nice we got a phone call from British Airways (luckily my husband has his executive club luggage label on the suitcase that had gone missing and BA had found his details and mobile phone number) to ask why the suitcase was abandoned in the middle of the International Terminal at Nice Airport and was that it was about to be taken away to have a controlled explosion carried out on it. We explained the situation and BA managed to get the suitcase left where it was so we could collect it (it couldnt be moved until we had proved it was ours and had personally reclaimed it). Regent point blank refused to help us collect the bag and when my husband got into the International Terminal our bag was cordoned off with 2 armed French Policemen standing by it. Having proved his identity and explained the situation he was allowed to claim the suitcase.

So even with the best will in the world, even if cruise lines make you confirm that the cases you have taken are yours, it doesnt work. Would also love to say that customer service at Regent followed up and contacted us (as they said they were going to do) but am still waiting for any contact.

Well, I guess this proves Jeremy's point, travel light, carry-on only. We made the 2 week SE Asia cruise with just carryon (thank you SilverSea for having laundry facilities). We were able to breeze thru security, on boarding, off boarding. We've used this "strategy" since our trip to the Amazon & Peru in 2016, and it works well.

Hope your bag surfaces with all your items as they should be.

Jan

We depart tomorrow for our Silver Muse cruise and like others, carry on only for both of us. It saves time and more than anything, peace of mind. I struggle a bit with the packing, but don't care if people see me in the same thing. And the laundry facilities are a lifesaver. We once departed for the airport with the wrong bag and turned around, and got my husbands.....this was years ago when half of the Regent ship we were on used the same basic Tumi case. It was an accident as the other bag had identical markers and at the time, Tumi had their labels hard to access. Thankfully it was no big deal.