Best Packing List Ever

maxx

OK...

The only thing that i would recommend taking is a power board if you have multiple Ipods, video camera's etc that you might like to charge as there was only 1 power point on the Sun.

Ummm ear plugs if you share with someone who snores??

Cheers,

Dan

AQUA SHOES ARE A MUST especially on the islands where the sand is coral _ everyone's feet were hurting trying to walk into the water. I wore those shoes every where and always recommend them to friends who are first time cruisers.

AQUA SHOES ARE A MUST especially on the islands where the sand is coral _ everyone's feet were hurting trying to walk into the water. I wore those shoes every where and always recommend them to friends who are first time cruisers.

Very good suggestion, especially if your cruise is going to Emerald Bay/Divine Island - where the beach is a dead coral beach. You only make the mistake of trying to walk on the beach there with no shoes on once. :mad:

Hi Maxx,

I gave the below packing list we put together to a "virgin" cruiser friend and think it is quite helpful.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Things to pack…

q Tickets & passports!!

q Small torch

q Non electric alarm clock (try to avoid ones that tick!!!)

q Febreeze (fabric spray), if travelling on Star take Fabulon Iron Free too

q Any medications required (note: as per all other travel advice always carry on prescription medication; also suggest Panadol, motion sickness tablets, bandaids, etc)

q Small sewing kit

q Lanyards (save $7 each)

q Room freshener

q Water bottles (can buy water for $2 per 600ml bottle or $3.50 per 1.5 litre, but free water is available on both Star & Sun 24/7 to fill your own bottles)

q Backpack (useful for island stops and shopping!) or overnight bag (suitcases must go out the night before arrival into Brisbane, need something to carry those last minute items)

q Comfy shoes to wear on board

q Camera, films and spare battery if you haven’t changed it for a while (underwater cameras are good if you plan to snorkel and often can be picked up cheaply before you go, these were sold on a good special on board so may want to wait if you aren't sure you want one or not)

q Swimmers, sunscreen & shady hat

Nice to haves…

q Reef shoes (about $10 from Big W)

q Cheap accessories for Island night (flowers for hair, leis, etc). Can buy on board and at the island but often is cheaper to pick up at Crazy Clarks or you might already have!!

q Small handbag to carry everything around during the day. I bought a crocheted one from Crazy Clarks for about $3 which I take every cruise.

q Wet ones - good to use on the islands

If you already have don’t forget…

q Binoculars

You probably won’t need…

q Board games etc - the library usually has a large range of games for use including Monopoly, Scrabble, Jenga, playing cards (including Cribbage boards & 500 decks).

q Soap

q Towels - small beach towels supplied and changed when needed

Luggage tips…

q When attaching the labels supplied by P&O ensure you peel off both sides and stick together.

q Make sure every bag has an additional name tag attached in case the one supplied by P&O falls off. Your bag should then find it’s way to your cabin and you won’t have to look for it.

THANK YOU For that list.

I have copied it and put it away for when its needed:)

Save me trying to find it later when i need it. have a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG wait:(

Hi Pixie,

You will be surprised how quickly your time will come!! Especially as your excitement builds. The thing I love about this site is it is somewhere to come and "chat" with people who are fanatical about cruising and it helps your excitement build rather than talking to other people who just make the usual "jealous" comments and find it hard to get excited with you. You will see people come and go from their cruise and before you know it your time comes.

We are looking at booking the Easter 2007 cruise. It seems so long away but really isn't that long to go!! Just think there are people out there that don't have any cruises planned and they have even longer to go or worse still are missing out altogether!!

Cheers,

I tie colourful material on the handles of our bags as when they unload them after getting back from your trip, a LOT of people have the same bags as you. I even put them on my carry on luggage and handbags as when they go through the x-ray machines they are easy to spot. Sometimes they come out the other end with other peoples

Hi Pixie,

You will be surprised how quickly your time will come!! Especially as your excitement builds. The thing I love about this site is it is somewhere to come and "chat" with people who are fanatical about cruising and it helps your excitement build rather than talking to other people who just make the usual "jealous" comments and find it hard to get excited with you. You will see people come and go from their cruise and before you know it your time comes.

We are looking at booking the Easter 2007 cruise. It seems so long away but really isn't that long to go!! Just think there are people out there that don't have any cruises planned and they have even longer to go or worse still are missing out altogether!!

Cheers,

The excitement is deffientely building with great speed!:D I love reading other people's posts as they are preparing for their trips. it almost seems like you are going as well...almost. very exciting. I know my time will fly very quickly...i can't believe that from when i first discovered this site not long ago there has already been a few people that have gone and come back already!!!! Can't believe Jan is almost over.

We have a land based holiday planned in March this year and some how that pales in comparison to the cruise one next year.

Will you be going on the star or the sun for the easter one?

Will you be going on the star or the sun for the easter one?

We will be going on the Star. The most exciting thing (after the fact that it is someone's 50th on Easter Sunday which is why we are all going) is that we are going to Pentecost Island for the first time. At this stage there is about 32 of us going on this cruise so this is definitely the biggest group we have been with. We hope to have 4 generations on board!!

Cheers,

As well as (or instead of) wipes, there is also a "waterless hand cleaner" you can buy. I got mine from Priceline, not sure where else you can buy it but it's just a small tube of clear liquid/gel sort of stuff. Say for instance, your hands are sticky, you put a little on your hands & rub them together as if washing them. They end up clean & dry - no water,soap or towel.

Also, I read on another forum that it's a good idea to take a sheet to the islands for sitting on. Doesn't take up much room, gives you more room than a towel for sitting, sand shakes off much easier than a towel & it saves your towel just for drying yourself (without the sand sruck to it). Never trued it but it certainly sounds feesable and I'm going to try it.

Karen

We will be going on the Star. The most exciting thing (after the fact that it is someone's 50th on Easter Sunday which is why we are all going) is that we are going to Pentecost Island for the first time. At this stage there is about 32 of us going on this cruise so this is definitely the biggest group we have been with. We hope to have 4 generations on board!!

Cheers,

WOW! That is fantastic!!!!It would definetely be a memorable holiday!

It looks like you will be getting on as we are getting off! :)we are on the march 24th:D

As well as (or instead of) wipes, there is also a "waterless hand cleaner" you can buy. I got mine from Priceline, not sure where else you can buy it but it's just a small tube of clear liquid/gel sort of stuff. Say for instance, your hands are sticky, you put a little on your hands & rub them together as if washing them. They end up clean & dry - no water,soap or towel.

Also, I read on another forum that it's a good idea to take a sheet to the islands for sitting on. Doesn't take up much room, gives you more room than a towel for sitting, sand shakes off much easier than a towel & it saves your towel just for drying yourself (without the sand sruck to it). Never trued it but it certainly sounds feesable and I'm going to try it.

Karen

Hi

The waterless 'Stuff" is called aquium( I think that is how you spell it). It is also an antibacterial sop which means handy to have at all times in the handbag for even the shopping centre toilets.

This one gets a huige thumbs up from me... we didnt take any to divine and i ended up wearing my sandals in the water!

Then we bought them on board ($30) as the shop assistant said the other islands were the same and I didnt need them.... I think she tricked me...

Oh well I'll have them for next time.

Cheers,

Dan

As well as all the above I'm going to take next time a ceramic coffee mug as they had plastic ones on Sun last year,yuk! Also a wide mouth drink bottle as there is an ice block machine next to the water in the buffet.

This one gets a huige thumbs up from me... we didnt take any to divine and i ended up wearing my sandals in the water!

Then we bought them on board ($30) as the shop assistant said the other islands were the same and I didnt need them.... I think she tricked me...

Oh well I'll have them for next time.

Cheers,

Dan

My post went missing again!!:mad:

They know how to rip you off don't they? I boght all 5 of us a pair for not much more than that. About $7-50 each. Got the kids ones in KMart & the bigger ones in Big W. If it hadn't been for these boards, I would never have even thought about them.

Karen

Thanks all, esp Chaz.

The hand gel is called Aqium, it's great, never thought to take it!

I plan to take a personal chamois (the kind the swimmers use)

As for reef shoes....we just bought a pair of shoes which you can use in the waterr and for walking, jogging, etc. The back also fold down to make them slip ons. Hard to explain but very versatile and I hate to say Very expensive but 3 shoes in 1.

We were told to take our own snorkel gear cheaper than hiring.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Apart from the obvious is there anything "special' or "odd" that we should take. (I can hardly wait for some of the answers). Seriously, I read somewhere to take duct tape. Why?

The duct tape afficinados will tell you it is critical - you can patch up anything with it from rips in the suitcases to beach toys. Personally, I've never taken or needed it, but do have a few oddball things I DO find necessary - a "pop-up" laundry basket comes in handy as a hamper and as transport to the laundry room and back, and in a pinch, can double as a beach carryall and/or shopping "bag." Don't know if they have 'em down under, but here in the States, you get them at the discount dept. stores. They're like those windshield thingees but with net sides and handles. When not in use, you bend them back into a flat circle. Also don't go anywhere without a small first aid kit with bandaids, ace bandage, first aid cream, and on cruises take both ginger tabs and for rougher weather, dramamine. Also like to take a highlighter marker for the daily schedule and sticky notes in case I need to leave a note for DH or the cabin steward.

Reef shoes are a must in Lifou too. We all had ones from Big W and Quite a few pairs fell apart. It must have been a faulty batch in Canberra as I bought a new pair for daughter in QLD and had no probs. I have had my Big W ones for 4 years with no probs.

The underwater cameras are great but be careful if you buy them on the ship. If you get them from the kiosk it is $25 and doesn't include free processing. Only from the photo shop and if they offer it at the tender embarkation. The one I bought from the kiosk also wasn't reusable. I bought one from the photo shop on the Sun and it included processing worth $6.95 and it also had a flash. very cool.

Post it notes are handy for the keeping track for friends in other cabins. They also may appear on a scavenger hunt. I love my travel stretchy closthesline and one of those $2 shop round mini peg hanging thingy.

As someone else said water bottle. If you have one with a wide neck it is handy for fill with ice and then water. I did that every day and carried it with me.

- a "pop-up" laundry basket comes in handy as a hamper and as transport to the laundry room and back, and in a pinch, can double as a beach carryall and/or shopping "bag." Don't know if they have 'em down under, but here in the States, you get them at the discount dept. stores. They're like those windshield thingees but with net sides and handles. When not in use, you bend them back into a flat circle.

I bought one of these specially for the cruise (not sure if it has handles though) cost me $5-00. Might even by another one yet. Don't even know what I'm going touse it for but thought it would come in handy for something. Dirty washing, shoes - who knows?

Karen

One thing I will probably bring is cordial to mix with water from the ship. Wouldbe much cheaper than buying soft drinks, we could easily rack up $30 a day in soft drinks alone otherwise. And water bottle to take on the beaches at the ports, unless the ship provides that.