Local seafood onboard?

Okay, I thought of this question while eating some exquisite PEI oysters last week. Our cruise on Quest is down the St. Lawrence River in September, up around Newfoundland and back. I'm Canadian, live in Toronto, but happen to know that this part of the world is great for oysters, lobster, etc. Will we get those fresh onboard? Will the chef and his/her staff go ashore to obtain goodies like this?

We did. I have never eaten so much lobster as I did on the cruise from Montreal to Boston a couple of years ago on the Quest. ... and while I’m not a lobster connoisseur it had lots of flavor and was beautifully cooked.

I don’t know about the oysters, I’m not an oyster fan.

Thanks to both of you. I wasn't asking about special requests really, just about what they'd normally do onboard. I'm not a huge fan of lobster either although I enjoy it from time-to-time, but fresh oysters from this region are high on my list. Although we enjoy Gulf oysters while in Florida, they can't hold a candle to those from PEI or that part of the world.

Wendy, the great thing about Seabourn is that there is no “special request”, if they can make it happen they will as part of making sure guests enjoy their cruise. So don’t hesitate and ask for what you might enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Seabourn controls its seafood supplies itself in order to establish compliance with health regulations imposed from head office and higher ie governmental authorities. Therefore, no raw seafood can be brought on board by passengers for the kitchens to prepare.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Seabourn controls its seafood supplies itself in order to establish compliance with health regulations imposed from head office and higher ie governmental authorities. Therefore, no raw seafood can be brought on board by passengers for the kitchens to prepare.

Well, that sucks. I've had other chefs on other lines go ashore and buy fresh fish and it appeared on the menu that night. And no raw seafood means no fresh oysters? Guess I'll have to get my fix in Montreal perhaps, or St. John's.

You have missed the context of my post...

The message was passengers cannot bring on board seafood for preparation by the kitchen. However, if the chef purchases seafood for the kitchen that is a different matter.

Nothing “sucks” more than food poisoning due to sloppy seafood handling stemming from lax procedures.

Thanks to both of you. I wasn't asking about special requests really, just about what they'd normally do onboard. I'm not a huge fan of lobster either although I enjoy it from time-to-time, but fresh oysters from this region are high on my list. Although we enjoy Gulf oysters while in Florida, they can't hold a candle to those from PEI or that part of the world.

If you don't get enough oyster on board you can probably get all you want at lunch in port at many of the restaurants there. To me that is one of the great pleasures of cruising...being bale to try out local foods in their restaurants while in port.

As Markham says, fresh fish caught locally and sourced by SB is available, one of our most memorable lunches were some sardines in lime and chilli caught freshly in Patmos and prepared by the patio grill chef.

Same thing in Alaska with freshly caught salmon and halibut!

We have been in several "shopping with the chef" excursions (they are usually announced the night before and fill very fast) to local markets. Whatever he bought (including small sardines and big fish) was served that night and we also found sometimes a small plate with appetizers (ham, cheese) from such trips in our cabin.:D

Wondering what we will have in the Western Med... other than the sushi station on Encore!

Are the chef excursions early in the morning? Just wondering if we're on shore excursions whether we'd ever get to go.

In the Med we have have been shopping with the chef in Livorno, Palma, Cannes, Bodrum, Syracusa and Corfu. In most cases the bulk of what was purchased was served in the Colonnade. Also as Marazul stated sometimes there is a special grilling station set up by the pool with the fresh food finds at lunchtime. Just ask the chef and he will tell you when he plans on serving particular items.

The SWTC excursions have always taken place in the morning in my experience. You usually meet up outside the Restaurant with the rest of the small group (usually less than 20) somewhere between 9-10AM. And since it is usually not announced until a day or two prior if you already have a tour booked you are out of luck. In our case we don’t usually do tours in the Med so it is a non issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have missed the context of my post...

The message was passengers cannot bring on board seafood for preparation by the kitchen. However, if the chef purchases seafood for the kitchen that is a different matter.

Nothing “sucks” more than food poisoning due to sloppy seafood handling stemming from lax procedures.

Thanks, that's great. I have no intention of bringing seafood aboard, no problem. I hate shucking oysters.

As Markham says, fresh fish caught locally and sourced by SB is available, one of our most memorable lunches were some sardines in lime and chilli caught freshly in Patmos and prepared by the patio grill chef.

Good news, looking forward to it.