Smoking at the Retreat Deck?

cruisestitch

In case some people don't check the Edge Forum, there is a big discussion going on about this unique addition to the Edge Retreat sundeck (looks like it has cold drinks and maybe munchies). Some love it and some hate it (I personally love it and will be heading there right after I board for a selfie - and a drink :D) There has been discussion about the hippies hanging out smoking behind the hippie van and one poster wondered what they might be smoking. ;)

I imagine the revolutionized ships may have interesting additions to their Retreat sundecks as well.....

BTW, is that a giant ashtray bottom right in the last picture? ;)

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by vtcruising

While smoking has been on the decline in the USA. Though there are a lot more young people vaping. Celebrity has been working on more cruises in Asia where many more people smoke. 1 Billion people smoke in the world.

China's smoking rate still lags behind Korea's and Japan's (1,711 cigarettes per person in China versus 1,958 in Korea and 1,841 in Japan), but China is the world's largest overall consumer of cigarettes. As the country urbanizes and develops, don't be shocked if they rise in the rankings. Oct 19, 2012

List of countries by cigarette consumption per capita - Wikipedia

Our 1st cruise with Celebrity was Oct 2001 on Millennium. Millie was a non smoking ship at that time. Even during the build people were not allowed to smoke. We loved it. We have now completed 27 cruises with Celebrity and 4 more on the books. We have been booking mostly suites the past 3 years.

My thought is deck 16, port side somewhere just outside of The Retreat and past the elevators and Edge Villa 2nd floor. Or maybe the Outdoor deck on 15 will be smoking. In the end Celebrity will be making the decision not us.

Us as buying consumers we can cruise on another cruise line with more restrictions on smoking. Please inform me what cruise line that is.

Vaping is treated as smoking in most places we frequent....hope on the ship too....

Dh smokes cigars; I don't smoke anything, but sometimes sit with him on the decks where permitted.

Smoke and the butts left in the ashtrays do affect surrounding areas..

.Hopefully in the Retreat, they find a good spot if allowed.. it is top, forward so any smoke most likely will stay with the ship..

Vaping is treated as smoking in most places we frequent....hope on the ship too....

Dh smokes cigars; I don't smoke anything, but sometimes sit with him on the decks where permitted.

.Hopefully in the Retreat, they find a good spot if allowed.. it is top, forward so any smoke most likely will stay with the ship..

Celebrity considers e cigarettes the same as regular smoking, it’s right in the written policy.

You must not cruise with Holland America. Holland America has changed their smoking policy. You now cant smoke in your cabin or balcony, but you can vaping in your cabin. No vaping on your balcony on HAL.

I will be surprised if there is a space for smoking in the suite-only area. I don’t think smoking fits Celebrity’s ideal for suite-dwellers. I think the suite-dwelling smokers will have to mix it with the regular passengers in those smoking areas.
Hate to break it to you but Celebrity's "ideal" suite dweller is anyone who can pony up the cash!!! This thread is laughable!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

Smoking is indisputably bad, unhealthy behavior - why on earth would it be fair to provide space for people to engage in such behavior at the expense of others?!? Utterly ridiculous. If Celebrity wants to cater to people engaging in such filthy behavior they will lose far more customers than they will gain. Can't see Celebrity doing something so shortsighted. Am cautiously optimistic there will be NO smoking in any of the suite-only areas. I am sure I won't be the only one cancelling if they permit smoking there. Fortunately much of the world no longer views exposure to smoke as acceptable and smoking areas are becoming fewer and fewer and smoking bans the norm.
If Celebrity exclusively catered to those who do not engage in what you call "Filthy behavior" it would be a non smoking cruise line. But guess what? It's not...and Celebrity just like every other cruise line could care less about you be offended...but care more about selling cabins. Yes they have made more restrictions but don't you think if they thought a completely non smoking ship would work it would already be sailing?

If Celebrity exclusively catered to those who do not engage in what you call "Filthy behavior" it would be a non smoking cruise line. But guess what? It's not...and Celebrity just like every other cruise line could care less about you be offended...but care more about selling cabins.

Did you mean ‘couldn’t care less’? If so, I agree: it’s all about the bottom line.

Cruisestitch’s question is a good one...

If you are a smoker is it worth paying all that money for a perk area you need to leave to enjoy a cigarette?

If you are a non smoker will it spoil your enjoyment of the Retreat if guests are smoking?

As others have suggested the most likely scenario is a designated ‘smokers corner’ in order to try not to offend anyone....

For those guests where wanting to be able to smoke at the Retreat is important and for those guests where smoking being allowed is a real turn off knowing for definite one way or the other would seem reasonable.

If Celebrity exclusively catered to those who do not engage in what you call "Filthy behavior" it would be a non smoking cruise line. But guess what? It's not...and Celebrity just like every other cruise line could care less about you be offended...but care more about selling cabins. Yes they have made more restrictions but don't you think if they thought a completely non smoking ship would work it would already be sailing?

Exactly my point; if Celebrity wants to sell suite prices at $$$$ prices it would be prudent for them to NOT permit smoking in exclusive suite areas. Most people do not smoke; IMHO Celebrity will lose significantly more suite passengers by allowing smoking in the suite areas than they will lose by not allowing smoking in the suite areas. For now there are a handful of smoking areas in non-suite areas that suite pax can take advantage of if they smoke. That would be the most logical solution for Celebrity from a financial perspective. And I don't think a smoke free ship is that far off; it will be here sooner rather than later - probably not in the next couple years, but quite possibly in the next several years.

It seems quite likely they will have a space on the sundeck for smoking. The Haven on NCL does. The Haven is on two levels. The smoking area was on the upper level at the far front of the ship behind a plexiglass wall. There was an array of seats and lounge chairs there. I thought it worked well. Suite guests who smoke are paying a lot of money just like non-smoking suite guests and should not be expected to have to exit this exclusive area to find a smoking spot somewhere else on the ship. And I say this as a lifelong non-smoker.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The reason I brought the whole topic up is that I am hoping that someone from Celebrity is reading this and will take the message to the powers that be to plan for a smoking area if there’s going to be one and not let it be an ad hoc, on board decision made by the hotel director once this ship’s construction is all finished. If there is to be a smoking area plan a barrier, plan the seating, Get it right the first time so you won’t have to move it to some other location. Remember when the smoking area was right next to the door leading into the solarium and every time the door opened the smoke wafted in. Or blew in at hurricane strength depending how strong the wind was. If you’re going to have a smoking area put a high wall around it so no one can flick their cigarette butts and ashes into the ocean. Figure this stuff out ahead of time and not when there are passengers on board .

I wish they would prohibit smoking anywhere on the ship. The 2 areas that they allow smoking they seem to keep spreading out further and have even been smoking in non smoking areas and the crew does nothing. For those people who have to have a cigarette they can get a nicotine patch for the cruise and that will satisfy their craving for short time they are on the cruise. My sister even had someone smoking a cigar on the balcony next to hers so she had to keep her slider closed. Cigars, cigarettes and other smoking items should be confiscated just as irons, steamers etc. Sorry to preach but for our past several cruises the privilege is being abused.

I wish they would prohibit smoking anywhere on the ship. The 2 areas that they allow smoking they seem to keep spreading out further and have even been smoking in non smoking areas and the crew does nothing. For those people who have to have a cigarette they can get a nicotine patch for the cruise and that will satisfy their craving for short time they are on the cruise. My sister even had someone smoking a cigar on the balcony next to hers so she had to keep her slider closed. Cigars, cigarettes and other smoking items should be confiscated just as irons, steamers etc. Sorry to preach but for our past several cruises the privilege is being abused.
I agree mostly with what you're saying. As a non-smoker I hate being around the smell of cigars and cigarettes. However, I believe that there should be designated areas for smokers that would not impact others and the policy must be adhered to by crew, as well. If smokers do not like the smoking restrictions then they should choose another cruiseline whose smoking policy is more liberal.

I agree mostly with what you're saying. As a non-smoker I hate being around the smell of cigars and cigarettes. However, I believe that there should be designated areas for smokers that would not impact others and the policy must be adhered to by crew, as well. If smokers do not like the smoking restrictions then they should choose another cruiseline whose smoking policy is more liberal.

I agree. Like Realnice46, I would love the idea of a completely smoke-free ship. But, in the real world, that's not going to happen. If X were to ban smoking completely, my concern would be that folks would be sneaking cigarettes in public restrooms, in their cabins, and on their balconies. With the current policy, there are well-defined out-door smoking areas. With a little advance planning, I can manage to avoid them. That seems to work out pretty well, overall. :cool:

I agree. They need to keep smokers where they say they should be. They are getting more bold. On a few of my last ones a few balconies tried it. People called to report them and that was the end of that. I had to do it once when a cigar smoker NEVER left his balcony on a Holland cruise a few years ago. Their answer was to put an air cleaner in MY suite. Husband is allergic and that was the last cruise with them.

IF there is smoking in retreat are I will cancel both of our suites we have booked. Its a health issue for my husband.

I am quite sure there will be no smoking IN the Retreat Lounge. As to the SUNDECK, well, I wish someone from celebrity cruises would respond to this issue

I am quite sure there will be no smoking IN the Retreat Lounge and the SUNDECK. If people pay the huge fares for Suites they deserve a place to enjoy themselves without losing the benefits of the private Suite accommodations.

They should have kept a smoking lounge.....worked great on X in Michaels Club for years, but they needed the space. On Royal C the Navigator had a nice lounge, and on some Radiance class ships there was an upstairs lounge with a super system that cleared out the air...QM2 also had a great lounge ...

I do not smoke and avoid smoking areas, but dh enjoys a cigar and mellow drink now and then...Yes it is unhealthy to smoke but it is a choice people make. It need not impact others if done properly.

They should have kept a smoking lounge.....worked great on X in Michaels Club for years, but they needed the space. On Royal C the Navigator had a nice lounge, and on some Radiance class ships there was an upstairs lounge with a super system that cleared out the air...QM2 also had a great lounge ...

I do not smoke and avoid smoking areas, but dh enjoys a cigar and mellow drink now and then...Yes it is unhealthy to smoke but it is a choice people make. It need not impact others if done properly.

Exactly. The Lawn has a smoking area but only on one side of the ship. The Retreat Sundeck will wrap around the front of the ship so there will likely be a smoking area on one side only.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums