The Retreat - how much is it being used ?

Delboy1

Yes I've had I think 4 emails entreating me to book it, that's 3 emails more than I've had reminding me to book tours, which I still haven't gotten around to.

Earlier threads expressed the expectation that Seabourn would soon give up on the idea but in fact they've doubled down on it, pushing it pre-cruise, at the start of cruises and from the sound of it giving out free passes to drum up business.

I continue to dislike the entire concept as not the classless Seabourn we're used to and for the fact its location causes annoyance to joggers and walkers, however at this point I'm pretty sure they are going to push it until it works for them.

There are another six months to go before my cruise. I wonder how many emails they'll send me?

It is an awful concept for SB, and I said as much in a questionnare that they sent out a few years ago asking for opinions about a payable "exclusive" area on board.

I'm fairly sure the price has comedown since Encore's launch, I believe it was $350 originally.

Well, it's some small consolation to know that the sun terrace is still available.

We received NO emails from SB about The Retreat prior to our latest cruse. Perhaps our TA received them and did not pass them on to us? It's about like the frequent invitations to wine tastings we received onboard.

We received NO emails from SB about The Retreat prior to our latest cruse. Perhaps our TA received them and did not pass them on to us? It's about like the frequent invitations to wine tastings we received onboard.

Mine arrived the same day I booked the cruise. After reading Rols' post I expect to receive a few more between now and December. We shall see.

We were offered free day passes to the Retreat ( no idea why, we certainly hadn’t expressed an interest). We declined.

Good for you - if we are so offered, we shall also so decline. Somewhat unfair if we were to complain about the concept and then accept it when offered free.

It is an awful concept for SB, and I said as much in a questionnare that they sent out a few years ago asking for opinions about a payable "exclusive" area on board.

Now this is the one which always gets me. I got that survey too and answered 'no', 'no', 'seriously no' and 'are you out of your cottonpicking minds - no' to the whole concept.

So either there were a lot of people who answered in the positive, or at least the positively neutral, or they got loads of negative responses but did it anyway. If the former, why aren't these happy cruisers swarming the Retreat at the price having said what a great idea it was; if the latter, what was the point of the survey if they were just going to ignore it?

Part of my antipathy to The Retreat was getting that very survey and answering in the most negative way possible, to find they did it anyway. Obviously the world doesn't revolve around me, although with the extra kilos from the next cruise it may, but I found it hard to believe that anything but a very small minority of Seabourn regulars were positive about this whole idea/

Interesting about comped vs. sold out -- I didn't think to ask that question!

I am definite, however, about the opening of the shutters (on Ovation only). I'm attaching a photo. However, the hotel director did say that cabanas are first come, first served, so if you're only interested in a cabana with opening shutters, there's no way to guarantee one when booking.

472129559_Retreatwindow2.thumb.jpg.6cb7655911e48d7c0f54609b0a034ad4.jpg

Interesting about comped vs. sold out -- I didn't think to ask that question!

I am definite, however, about the opening of the shutters (on Ovation only). I'm attaching a photo. However, the hotel director did say that cabanas are first come, first served, so if you're only interested in a cabana with opening shutters, there's no way to guarantee one when booking.

Thanks for the photo. Another reason not to go to the Retreat. The view from my balcony is better.

Yes I've had I think 4 emails entreating me to book it, that's 3 emails more than I've had reminding me to book tours, which I still haven't gotten around to.

Earlier threads expressed the expectation that Seabourn would soon give up on the idea but in fact they've doubled down on it, pushing it pre-cruise, at the start of cruises and from the sound of it giving out free passes to drum up business.

I continue to dislike the entire concept as not the classless Seabourn we're used to and for the fact its location causes annoyance to joggers and walkers, however at this point I'm pretty sure they are going to push it until it works for them.

I specifically asked my 'personal cruise consultant' at Sebaourn recently if there had been any internal discussions about what to do with this obvious miscalculation and waste of space - that's the vast consensus from what I gather anyhow. And he said the same that it had not gone over well and it was being discussed.

A few points he made, they could not just offer it as complimentary because there was clearly not enough room for everyone even if just once per cruise for all and so they felt the need to have a charge for it just to pull in demand. If it were included and you could not get a reservation guests would feel as if they paid for something that they could not experience causing issues and complaints. I understand that last point but the bigger issue is that they should never had taken out the sports deck to put in this stinking mess. The up-charge concept is not Seabourn style and people are revolting against that in and of itself which I suppose they are learning the hard way.

He shared that they were still discussing it, they have dropped the price as others have noted but it still isn't gaining much traction. He suggested that he would like to see it eventually transformed into another bar or dining option which would be nice with a glass ceiling for instance but who knows if that would ever happen. That takes time and money and these ships are new so I don't imagine they are going in for dry dock and refurbishments anytime soon...

I haven't received an invitation for The Retreat. I'm feeling left out! I'm sailing October 1 on Ovation. Perhaps because I'm traveling solo. Discrimination! Just kidding, I saw the "venue" on Encore and was underwhelmed, so perhaps face recognition picked up my dislike!

I don't understand why SB doesn't treat the Retreat like another pool area. There are several hot tubs there--as well as some shade for those that like it. The cabanas could be first come first serve--just like the pool loungers. And just like the small pool area outside of the Club and the hot tub area on deck 7. Then, passengers would have quite a few outdoor choices. I sill think that most would prefer the main pool.

But Mr. Luxury, we have been admonished to avoid the public toilets as much as possible and always use a paper towel when opening the door! I agree with you, by the way, why sit in a little cubicle when you have a lovely room with a balcony?

I don't understand why SB doesn't treat the Retreat like another pool area. There are several hot tubs there--as well as some shade for those that like it. The cabanas could be first come first serve--just like the pool loungers. And just like the small pool area outside of the Club and the hot tub area on deck 7. Then, passengers would have quite a few outdoor choices. I sill think that most would prefer the main pool.

Probably because all those in the penthouse and nice V6 cabins on Deck 11 would complain of pool deck noise. I postulate it's now currently nice and quiet because the retreat is empty.

It is easy to ridicule the concept behind The Retreat and its ridiculous execution. It’s obvious now that the game is over with the Encore’s Retreat cheerleaders back at home prepping for another season and another sport.

Many months before Encore was delivered those surveyed, including me, about the concept of this exclusive surcharge clubby enclave, reminded Seabourn management what Seabourn had always been about, ie egalitarian access to luxury and open decks for recreation and deck sports.

But I guess Seabourn management knew better, while chasing fantasy rainbow revenues, that never did materialize. On other side of the coin is the expense of building two of the monstrosities and the time wasted/deck space denied to passengers on Encore and Ovation- while management waits out whatever contract they implemented with the designer-guru for his or her “concept”, at some cost at that.

Lesson: always listen to your customers. Chances are you really don’t know more than they do. If you’ve made a mistake, deal with it as soon as possible.

Happy and healthy sailing!

It is easy to ridicule the concept behind The Retreat and its ridiculous execution. It’s obvious now that the game is over with the Encore’s Retreat cheerleaders back at home prepping for another season and another sport.

Many months before Encore was delivered those surveyed, including me, about the concept of this exclusive surcharge clubby enclave, reminded Seabourn management what Seabourn had always been about, ie egalitarian access to luxury and open decks for recreation and deck sports.

But I guess Seabourn management knew better, while chasing fantasy rainbow revenues, that never did materialize. On other side of the coin is the expense of building two of the monstrosities and the time wasted/deck space denied to passengers on Encore and Ovation- while management waits out whatever contract they implemented with the designer-guru for his or her “concept”, at some cost at that.

Lesson: always listen to your customers. Chances are you really don’t know more than they do. If you’ve made a mistake, deal with it as soon as possible.

In complete agreement.

I so wish I knew what the response to that survey (which we also received) was. Either most people replied as you and we did, that it was a horrible idea, but Seabourn just did it anyway, which would beg the question of why they asked; or a lot of people responded positively to the notion but then didn't show up and use it when it was delivered.

I've always suspected the former, especially as I seem to recall the original survey had a suggestion as to what the daily price tag would be.

However don't expect to see it disappear anytime soon. Seabourn seems to live by the mantra that "the beatings will continue until morale improves".

The Retreat is the idea/design of a trendy hotel design guru who obviously didn’t understand that there’s an important difference between the facilities and clientele of luxury hotels and luxury cruise ships. And he was probably paid so much that Seabourn didn’t dare explain where he was going wrong. Or they didn’t know either.

There is no doubt that you are correct about how the Retreat concept went from design proposition to the failure it is today.

You have to tip your hat to that design guru though. Sharp. He probably got paid up front for the idea with further installments for the next couple of years. No clause about performance; he gets paid whether it’s a success or is used for the housekeeping department’s storage needs.

That supplier was smarter than management about the Retreat but no one

is smarter than the customer. Which reminds me, who designed the Edsel?

You can fool some of the people some of the time...

There is no doubt that you are correct about how the Retreat concept went from design proposition to the failure it is today.

You have to tip your hat to that design guru though. Sharp. He probably got paid up front for the idea with further installments for the next couple of years. No clause about performance; he gets paid whether it’s a success or is used for the housekeeping department’s storage needs.

That supplier was smarter than management about the Retreat but no one

is smarter than the customer. Which reminds me, who designed the Edsel?

You can fool some of the people some of the time...

Hi Markham,

How’s the trip going

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the Edsel lounge would be an appropriate name for the doomed retreat

Perhaps the 'Rainforest Lounge' as, seeing the picture from the other day, it seemed more suited for days you want to shelter from inclement weather; otherwise you are in a box near a bulkhead with a big-screen TV, something I can do at home (minus the bulkhead).

Mr Luxury,

The Quest under Capt Olexander Golubev, HD Ares Mantadakis and CD Jan Stearman is delivering the goods on this segment from Dover to Reykjavik: so many familiar crew and passengers from the December Antarctica cruise we so enjoyed, and the ship has had lots of new carpeting and other furnishing. Food top flight and service smoothed over since the shaky MDR wine service change I had complained about 3 weeks into our Sojourn extended voyage. And love the mattress toppers for our snoozing while cruising.

Today is a particular highlight, especially for the large group known hereabouts as The Most Loyal and Nearly Royal Society of Charadriiformes Admirers. These are eclectic auk i.e. puffin fanciers linked by charter to the one relating to the Sphenisciformes (penguin) posse from December. So yes, a heavily intellectual crowd doing their thing. Works well for all, ably led and managed by Iggy’s Ventures team with their zodiacs. We are headed soon to St Kilda to see what’s what for the morning with Dr Colleen Beaty.