Drinks package question

Considering the last Princess cruise we were on was over £40 pp per day, Fred is good value. We were on the World Cruise this year on Black Watch and booked when it was still £10 pp pd so that was brilliant. We have just booked for Jan 2020 and have prepaid drinks package at £15 pp pd as my other half thinks it will go up before then.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is good value, at £15, I know other cruise lines charge more but their inclusive list is much more comprehensive than FO. For eg bottles of beers included, corona, coors, budwiser, and branded spirits and of course cocktails.

Not sure why anybody would want to pay extra for average lagers.

Stell Artois on the FO standard package is superior to all these.

Just my opinion, tastes differ, literally.

I bought the AI package for £15 each and we, my wife and I, were drinking £18 worth of wine with our meal each night then 4 drinks each, usually doubles after we managed to persuade the waiters to give us them, me also a couple of pints as well.

And lots of juice and the occasional beer or wine during the days we were at sea.

At the end of our cruise our bill was only for the gratuities and the 75p it cost us every 2 days for the litre of water that was in our cabin that we used to clean our teeth and take our pills.

I think it is worth it.

or cocktails

Cocktails are half price, though we prefer the option of a virgin cocktail at half price, when my husband orders an AI spirit, (which disappears quite quickly when staff are not looking). He then orders another drink soon after :)

Be aware as well about the differences between bloody mary, which is half price and a vodka and tomato juice with a splash of worcester sauce, which is included in the drinks pack. That system works with other drinks as well, in fact I find a rum and orange juice (at whatever dilution you want) tastes much the same as many of the cocktails. Only thing you are missing is the fancy glass and paper umbrella etc.

Must admit having read the alcohol consumption reported by some people, I do wonder how they are feeling at the end of a cruise.- especially a longer one. I have seen comments that people on AI could easily be recognised towards the end of a cruise, just by looking at their faces - I can see why. We do tend to do longer cruises though.

We only buy the the AI if on a cruise with lots of sea days and/or to areas where drinks are expensive (e.g. Norway), but prefer to be ashore drinking leisurely at a local bar, trying the local tipple on other cruises and then have little, if any, alcohol in the evenings.

You can take as many bottles of water/soft drinks onto the ship as you wish and at any port, so I do not understand why people are paying for Fred's water, even at half price, if they are on a cruise to an area where these can be bought cheaply (e.g. The Med). If you have soft drinks in cabin, the bar staff are quite happy to supply large glasses of ice - useful when returning from port or when getting ready for a meal.

Edited by tring

........... the main shortfall is that it does not include specialty tea or coffee options - not even half price.

I agree, often after dinner I just want to relax with a decaf coffee in a bar, rather than another cold drink. Not so much a speciality tea or coffee, but even then if you order from a bar, you have to pay full price.

Booked an Anchor Fare on Braemar leaving 22/7/18 at last minute via Planet Cruise and was offerred the AI @ £15pp so took it. Guess not everyone goes for it or the quota should have been covered. AI cos I don't like surprise bills at the end.

We didn't do the drinks package when we went in April and our drinks bill came in just under £150 for the two us, Drink or two in the afternoon, glass of wine with dinner and a drink or two in the evening along with soft drinks during the day as well, if we had prebooked it would have cost us £210 so very similar but i agree as Fred has reasonable drink prices compared to other cruise lines the package wasnt for us

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm a little late to the conversation, and it might not be available any longer, but as of October 2017, Braemar offered bottles of alcohol (and soft drinks) for onboard consumption. Prices were higher than duty-free, but still cheaper than buying bar drinks, which were quite reasonable anyway. One word of caution: They reprimanded me for bringing what was left of a bottle into a lounge on the last night to give to the band.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 1:26 AM, trinitytrees said:

I asked FO price to book now and they said I needed to go via T/A it was FO that told me it was £25 day, the agent confirmed £25 pppd that is why I wondered how if price is showing £15pppd online.

As always thank you everyone for responding and giving me useful information.

Is this on Royal?  If so go to Royal's web site and click on already booked at top.  Go to your cruise personalizer and purchase beverage package, speciality dining, show reservations etc.  don't need to book through travel agent

27 minutes ago, ldasaro said:

Is this on Royal?  If so go to Royal's web site and click on already booked at top.  Go to your cruise personalizer and purchase beverage package, speciality dining, show reservations etc.  don't need to book through travel agent

This is FO as in Fred Olsen, hence the title of the forum page. The price is right as Fred has upped it's prices.

• 1 month later...